1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I/O config of all PIC ports

1. Jan 10, 2013 #1
    1. What is the default I/O configuration of all PIC ports at program computer system start-up? Why are microcontrollers designed with this standard default configuration?

3. I think all the ports are set to input to start with and then changed accordingly.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are correct, but haven't answered the second part of the question. Why are they designed that way?

As this is in the homework section you should have a go at it first.

4. Jan 11, 2013 #3
    I cannot find the answer anywhere. If I knew the second part of this question I would not have even posted it.

5. Jan 11, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Lets say you were using one of the port pins to monitor the status of a 5V power supply rail or battery. eg I've got one of the port pins connected directly to this 5V power supply. Consider what happens if the pic powers up with that pin configured as an output?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook