Solving for Time and Velocity with Only Three Variables

• Thread starter pianoguy1088
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, a problem was presented involving two individuals standing on a bridge and throwing rocks with given initial velocities. The task is to determine the time elapsed between the rocks hitting the river and the bottom of a hole respectively. The problem can be solved using the 5 standard kinematics equations by identifying the missing variable and rearranging the equations accordingly. The first question has a trick that makes it easier to solve.
pianoguy1088

Homework Statement

Physics: Only three variables and I don't know how to solve?
here is one problem: Heather and Jerry are standing on a bridge 50 m above a river. Heather throws a rock straight down with a speed of 20 m/s . Jerry, at exactly the same instant of time, throws a rock straight up with the same speed. Ignore air resistance. --- I need to find the time elapsed between the splashes.

A rock is tossed straight up with a velocity of +20 m/s. When it returns, it falls into a hole 10m deep. ----I need to find velocity and time for the rock at the moment it reaches the bottom of the hole .

For both of these I only have three variables, Velocity initial, change in X, and A. Should I assume that the V final is 0 in these?? otherwise I am confused. Thanks!

Homework Equations

all 5 standard kinematics

The Attempt at a Solution

The questions is conceptual...currently i cannot attempt an answer as far as I know.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have 3 variables, not including one variable that you want to find (work out what this one is first!) Then go through your 5 equations and use the one that includes all 4. You might have to do some rearranging!

The first of your questions is easier than it looks, if you see the trick...

What is the significance of having only three variables in an experiment?

Having only three variables in an experiment allows for a simpler and more focused analysis of the data. It also reduces the number of confounding factors that may affect the results.

What are the three variables typically used in scientific experiments?

The three variables typically used in scientific experiments are the independent variable, dependent variable, and control variable. The independent variable is manipulated by the researcher, the dependent variable is the outcome being measured, and the control variable is kept constant to ensure that any changes in the dependent variable are due to the independent variable.

Can an experiment with only three variables still produce valid and reliable results?

Yes, an experiment with only three variables can still produce valid and reliable results if the variables are well-defined, controlled, and the sample size is appropriate.

What are some limitations of using only three variables in an experiment?

Using only three variables in an experiment may limit the generalizability of the results to a wider population. It may also overlook other important variables that may affect the outcome. Additionally, the relationship between the variables may not be fully understood with only three variables.

Are there any specific statistical tests that are recommended for analyzing data with only three variables?

The choice of statistical tests for data with only three variables depends on the type of data and the research question being addressed. Some commonly used tests include t-tests, ANOVA, and correlation analysis. It is important to consult with a statistician to determine the most appropriate analysis method for a particular experiment.