From Troubled Student to Successful Graduate: My Story

In summary, the conversation discussed the struggles of the speaker, Michael, in maintaining a good GPA for graduate school. He shared his goal of attending UCLA's BME program and the admission requirements for it. The speaker also gave advice based on his own experience and mentioned that Michael's GPA is not as low as he thinks and he still has a chance of getting into a decent graduate school with good research and grades. Lastly, they discussed a quote from a physics professor about the value of studying quantum mechanics.
MichaelTKim91
For those who are willing to take the time to read this post, thank you.

My name is Michael and i am currently a sophmore UCI undergraduate student. I am majoring in Biomedical Engineering and have recently changed to this major from a physics major.

Ever since my 2nd year of UCI, i have really made poor decisions(went out to have fun, played, didnt take school seriously) and now face a GPA of 3.124 cumulative, and a science GPA of 3.00, even a 2.9 depending at the end of this quarter.

This is no way acceptable for graduate school, I am not fool, i know this. After this past week, it finally has come to my attention(it had to take this long for me, but nonetheless) that i am growing up, and school is so , just so important. More so than my parents telling me, or more so than anything, I REALIZED how important it is.

I really want to go to graduate school, i really do, and I am going to start by really focusing on my grade for these next 2 years. i calculated the classes i need to take and i can go for an at leas 3.22-3.4ish Science GPA 3.22(straight B average, and 3.4 Straight A average) Is even a 3.22 acceptable to go to a decent BME grad school?

To be honest my goal right now that I am shooting for is UCLA BME program.

Their admission goes as follows.

1. ) JR. and SR. GPA will only be counted for a total gpa. (3.0 minimum)
2. ) A science GPA is also required
3. BME (upper-div) GPA is also required (or i think this goes under science GPA I am not sure.)

4. Graduate testing GRE, etc.

The question I am asking is, for example, with the goals i have now (GPA wise.) will i be able to stand a decent shot getting into grad school with the hole i dug myself from my 2nd year of college?

I also know research and other extras are important as well and will be working on them.

I know my post doesn't really have a solid question other than if i have good shot going to grad school, but i really would appreciate any tips, any advice, (harsh criticism *ur chances are low, you really can't make it up" etc. is highly welcome. I rather have the cold hard facts now, then be babied with lies.

Again for those who take your time to read my rant and reply, thank you so much. I feel so troubled about my future I am actually quite fretting over almost no immediate reason, but i do my college career seriously now.

Again any tips to getting into grad school (UCLA even) will be GREATLY appreciated.

With much consideration,

Michael Kim

Physics news on Phys.org
MichaelTKim91 said:
Is even a 3.22 acceptable to go to a decent BME grad school?
My undergraduate gpa in engineering was just about the same. Similar to you, I did not do as good as I should have the first two years. But my final 3 years I averaged over 3.50 and made the honor role about 2/3 of the time. I was accepted to graduate school at at four major public universities.

So I would do as you plan, apply to UCLA, and a few others that may be suitable for you.

a 3.0 is bad, but not as horrible as you seem to make it out.
For example, I'm looking at Duke's physics program right now. They had this question in their FAQ*:
How likely is it to get an offer, given my C average in Physics?
Not likely. It would be difficult to get admitted to Duke Physics, unless you have a very good GRE Subject score and very good recommendation letters.
Now this surprises me because EVERY other graduate school says they won't really look at you unless you have a B average.

If you can get some good research in and avoid Cs, you can get into graduate school *somewhere*.

And really, all you can hope to do is get better grades, get some good research, and apply. You aren't as screwed as you think you are.

*http://www.phy.duke.edu/graduate/admissions/faq.php#faq_5_2

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and something Michael Dennin (a physics professor here at UCI) told us that might keep you working hard:
A C in physics is an A in life. Even if you get a D in quantum mechanics and get a normal job, people will be impressed. "You studied quantum mechanics?! Holy cow"

I understand the importance of taking responsibility for one's actions and making changes to improve oneself. It takes courage to acknowledge and address past mistakes, and I commend you for doing so. Your determination to do better and focus on your grades is admirable and will surely help you in your academic journey.

In terms of your question about your chances of getting into graduate school, it is difficult to say for certain as admissions decisions also depend on other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. However, having a strong GPA, particularly in your major and science courses, is definitely an important factor for graduate school admissions. A 3.22 or higher would likely increase your chances, but it is also important to continue seeking other experiences and opportunities to strengthen your application.

I would also recommend reaching out to advisors or faculty in the BME program at UCLA to discuss your goals and receive personalized advice on how to improve your chances of admission. They may also be able to provide insight on the weight given to different aspects of the application and any specific requirements for their program.

In addition to focusing on your grades, I encourage you to continue seeking research opportunities and other extracurricular experiences that align with your interests and goals. These experiences can not only enhance your application, but also provide valuable skills and knowledge that will benefit you in graduate school and beyond.

Lastly, I want to remind you that it is never too late to turn things around and make positive changes. Keep working hard and stay determined, and I have no doubt that you will achieve your goal of attending grad school at UCLA or any other program of your choice. Best of luck to you, Michael.

1. What inspired you to write "From Troubled Student to Successful Graduate: My Story"?

I was inspired to write this book because I wanted to share my personal journey with others who may be going through similar struggles. As a troubled student myself, I know how difficult it can be to navigate the education system and overcome challenges. I hope that my story can inspire and motivate others to persevere and reach their goals.

2. What were some of the biggest obstacles you faced as a troubled student?

I faced a variety of obstacles as a troubled student, including a lack of motivation, poor time management skills, and mental health issues. These challenges often led to academic struggles and a feeling of being overwhelmed. However, with the help of supportive teachers and mentors, I was able to overcome these obstacles and find success.

3. How did you turn your academic performance around and become a successful graduate?

It was a combination of factors that helped me turn my academic performance around. First, I sought out help and support from teachers, counselors, and my family. I also made a conscious effort to improve my time management skills and develop better study habits. Additionally, I focused on my mental health and sought therapy to address any underlying issues. It was a gradual process, but with perseverance and determination, I was able to improve my grades and graduate with honors.

4. What advice do you have for other troubled students who may be struggling academically?

My advice for other troubled students is to never give up and to seek help when needed. It's important to remember that you are not alone and there are resources available to support you. Don't be afraid to reach out to teachers, counselors, or even peers for assistance. Also, don't be too hard on yourself and celebrate small victories along the way. With hard work and determination, you can overcome any challenges and achieve your goals.

5. What do you hope readers will take away from your book?

I hope readers will take away a sense of hope and inspiration from my book. I want them to know that it's possible to overcome academic struggles and achieve success. I also hope to raise awareness about the challenges faced by troubled students and encourage readers to be more understanding and supportive of others who may be going through similar experiences. Most importantly, I hope my story will motivate others to never give up on their dreams and to always strive for personal growth and improvement.