1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I really need help as soon as possible

1. Oct 27, 2013 #1
    http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20131027134934AAQQUWp

I really need help. All the information is on that link.

I've spent 30 minutes or so trying to figure this out but I can't and I'm starting to get really upset.

If you guys can find the value of k, I can take it from there. I just have no idea how to find k and it's stressing me out so much.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    ... is there a special meaning for the capitalization?
    Assuming none:

Consider the two planes that do not have k in them - they must intersect along a line right?
    What does the third plane have to avoid doing to make all three intersect at a point?

4. Oct 27, 2013 #3
    No, no meaning for caps.

I actually did consider them. My problem is, what do I do with that idea? How do I solve k based on that? Like I've tried everything and I'm just about to break because I need to know this. My teacher has never given us a question like this so I feel rather hopeless as much as I love this course.

5. Oct 27, 2013 #4
    Oh and all three planes when using n1 x n2 • n3 must equal 0 and be coplanar. If it does not equal 0, then it intersects at a single point. Again, I just don't know how to find K. I've tried dot product, linear equations, etc

6. Oct 27, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... think geometry not algebra!
    Start the algebra once you know what you are aiming for.

In general, three planes will have an intersection at a point. i.e. there is one point that is on all three planes.
    But they don't have to. They actually don't have to intersect at all.

Two planes will intersect on a line - with three planes there will be 2 or three lines of intersection (where one plane intersects with one of the others).

In your problem you have two planes that intersect (in a line) so you can't do anything about that.

You have a third plane whose orientation you get to change by changing the variable k.

You have to use your imagination - or get some bits of stiff card and hold them up at different angles.

[edit: and try not to get impatient - I'm typing as fast as I can :( ]

7. Oct 27, 2013 #6

Only problem is, I've only been taught to solve with algebra. It tried putting x=0 and solve for x, z = 0 and solve for z, then sub in x and z into equation 2 and try to solve for k, but it's no good!

8. Oct 27, 2013 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you not know what a plane looks like?
    Can you not imagine a couple of planes in space?
    If you do not, and cannot, I cannot help you.

You have to know what the equations mean!

9. Oct 28, 2013 #8
    I figured it out. K=4

Thanks for your help, I guess..

10. Oct 28, 2013 #9
    It looks like all she cares about is the answer. It does not matter what this means. :smile:

11. Oct 28, 2013 #10

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's great!
    Do you know why k=4?

I never even got that far because you indicated you didn't want to go there.

You understand that we cannot do your homework for you?
    Instead we have to sort-of nudge you onto the right track.

Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted