I Really Need Help Chemistry: Synthesis of a Coordination Compound

In summary, the mass of Ferrous Ammonium Sulfate (limiting reagent) is 4.00 grams and the mass of K3[Fe(C2O4)3].3H2O is 2.54 grams. Using the mass of Ferrous Ammonium Sulfate, the theoretical yield of K3[Fe(C2O4)3].3H2O is 5.01 grams. The percent yield of K3[Fe(C2O4)3].3H2O is 50.7%. The oxidation state of the central metal ion (iron) is +3 and the coordination number is 6.
kirsten_2009

Homework Statement

Mass of Ferrous Ammonium Sulfate (limiting reagent) = 4.00 grams.

Mass of K3[Fe(C2O4)3].3H2O = 2.54 grams.

QUESTIONS:

1. Using the above mass of ferrous ammonium sulfate calculate the theoretical yield of the K3[Fe(C2O4)3].3H2O
2. What is the percent (%) yield of the K3[Fe(C2O4)3].3H2O
3. Draw the shape of the complex ion {I have this one already...thanks! :)}
4. What is the oxidation state of teh central metal ion?
5. What is the coordination number of the central metal ion?

Homework Equations

(1) FeSO4.(NH4)2SO4.6H2O + H2C2O4.2H2O --> FeC2O4 + (NH4)2SO4 + H2SO4 + 8H2O

(2) 6FeC2O4 + 3H2O2 + 6K2C2O4.H20 --> 4K3[Fe(C2O4)3].3H20 + 2Fe(OH)3
+ 6H20

(3) 2Fe(OH)3 + 3H2C2O4.2H2O + 3K2C2O4.H2O --> 2K3[Fe(C2O4)3].3H2O + 9H2O

The Attempt at a Solution

O.k...I really have NO idea how to do this but here is what I think...
I understand that it's about stoichiometry, recognizing which reactant is the limiting reagent
and then calculating the moles of that reactant and then developing molar ratios. Then, when I have calculated my theoretical yield I could divide my actual yield by it and then multiply by 100 and get my percent yield. The problem is that the equations look long and complex and I'm intimidated. Also, I would have no clue as to the remaining questions. This assignment is worth a lot for me so any help anyone could offer me would be TRULY and GREATLY appreciated, thanks! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are close. You don't have to recognize limiting reactant - you are already told which one it is. Try to approach it just looking at the number of moles of important reactants - that is, you start with x moles of Fe, how many moles of the final product can you produce? It is enough to count Fe atoms to get the idea.

--

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Here is my attempt...

So... ferrous ammonium sulfate = FAS & potassium trioxalatoferrate = PTOF

(1) 4.00 g FAS x (1 mol FAS / 392.14088 g ) = 0.010200415 mol of FAS.

0.010200415 mol FAS x (1 mol PTOF / 1 mol FAS) = 0.010200415 mol of PTOF

0.010200415 mol PTOF x (491.24274 g / 1 mol PTOF) = 5.01 g PTOF {theoretical yield}

(2) (2.54 g PTOF / 5.01 g PTOF) x 100 = 50.7 % {percent yiel}

(3) Got it.

(4) The central metal ion I believe would be iron (Fe) and it's oxidation state I think it would be +3?

(5) I'm not entirely sure as to what a coordination number is but as far as I know it's the number of atoms the atom in question is bonded to...? In this case I think it would be 6?

So far, is this correct? Thank for your time!

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of synthesizing a coordination compound in chemistry?

The purpose of synthesizing a coordination compound in chemistry is to create a complex molecule that contains a central metal ion bonded to ligands. This can be used to study the properties and behavior of coordination compounds, as well as to create new materials with unique properties.

2. What are the steps involved in synthesizing a coordination compound?

The steps involved in synthesizing a coordination compound typically include selecting a metal ion and ligands, determining the desired stoichiometry and structure, mixing the reactants in appropriate ratios, and carrying out the reaction under specific conditions. The resulting product is then purified and characterized.

3. How do you determine the correct ratio of metal ion to ligands in a coordination compound?

The correct ratio of metal ion to ligands in a coordination compound is determined by the coordination number of the metal ion, which is the number of ligands that can bond to it. This is determined by the electronic configuration and size of the metal ion, and can be predicted using principles of coordination chemistry.

4. What techniques are used to purify and characterize a coordination compound?

Common techniques used to purify a coordination compound include recrystallization, chromatography, and distillation. Characterization techniques, such as nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, infrared spectroscopy, and X-ray crystallography, can be used to determine the chemical structure and properties of the compound.

5. What are some applications of coordination compounds in chemistry?

Coordination compounds have many important applications in chemistry, including catalysis, sensing, and drug design. They are also used in industrial processes, such as in the production of pharmaceuticals and pigments. Additionally, coordination compounds have been studied for their potential use in electronic and optical devices, due to their unique properties.