1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I really need help! Torque problem

1. May 9, 2004 #1
    I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with this problem. My exam is in 3 days and I don't understand how to do this problem!!!

A grinding stone of radius 10 cm ( I=0,2 kg*m^2) turns at a rate of 200 RPM. A tool is leaned against the circumference of the grinding stone with a force of 50N of radial direction. The kinetic coefficient of friction is equal to 0,6.
    (A) What power is necessary to maintain the grinding stone in rotation at a constant angular velocity?

The answer is supposed to be 62,8 W and I know I have to use torque but I really don't know how to do it :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2004 #2

ShawnD

Science Advisor

power formula: (T is torque, t is time)

[tex]P = \frac{T \theta}{t}[/tex]

[tex]P = T\omega[/tex]

convert 200rpm into rad/s and it should be easy from there.

I just worked the problem all the way through and the answer does work out.

Last edited: May 9, 2004
  4. May 9, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a real easy way to do this - almost a short cut.

Notice that if the stone must be turning at a constant angular velocity, it's Kinetic Energy must be constant. So the work done by the motor = work done by friction. Dividing by time, we have the power of motor = power removed by friction.

Also we know that power = force * velocity.
    The relevant velocity here is the speed of the edge of the grinding wheel (where the friction acts) = w*R, where w is in rad/s. Lastly, the frictional force is 0.6 * 50 N = 30 N.

Plugging in numbers, you'll find that P = 63 W

5. May 9, 2004 #4

ShawnD

Science Advisor

You totally stole that from my post :tongue:

6. May 20, 2004 #5
    Shawn how did he steal that from your post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?