1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I really need help with this problem!

1. Oct 28, 2004 #1
    I have not been able to figure out anything about this problem. I hope somebody will help me.

A body of mass 2.0 kg makes an elastic collision with another body at rest and continues to move in the original direction but with one-fourth of its original speed. (A): What is the mass of the other body? (B): What is the speed of the two-body mass center of mass if the initial speed of the 2.0 kg body was 4.0 m/s?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2004 #2
    I'm only in High School so dont depend on my word for it!

Here's what I'm thinking...

the other mass is: 2/3 kg

So, v=.25*4*2 = 2m/s

think this is correct?
  4. Oct 29, 2004 #3
    In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. If I denote the initial velocity of the 2kg mass by u and the final velocity of the unknown mass by v then,

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(4kg)(u^2) = \frac{1}{2}(4kg)(\frac{u}{4})^2 + \frac{1}{2}(m)(v^2)[/tex] (Kinetic Energy Conservation)

[tex](4kg)u = 4kg({\frac{u}{4}}) + mv[/tex] (Linear Momentum Conservation)

You have two equations and two unknowns (m and v). You can solve for them easily now.

UrbanXrisis, you have written only one equation--that for linear momentum conservation. Read the question carefully (note that both energy and linear momentum are conserved in an elastic collision).

Now for the second part, I can only tell you that the hint for solving it lies in this very post coupled with the fact that the net force on a system equals the time rate of change of linear momentum.

Hope that helps...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  5. Oct 29, 2004 #4
    Are you supposed to get the answers in terms of u?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?