1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I really need help

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] I really need help

I understand the very simple questions and all, but when the book throws all these extra things at me, I get so lost. You might've remembered my earlier post (my first one), so I'm back with a bit more.

Code (Text):
    If it takes a human cannonball 1.5s to exit a 1.6m long cannon, what is the average net force acting on the performer if his mass is 65kg?
    I tried using a a=[tex]\frac{v_{2}-v_{1}}{t}[/tex] equation, but that wouldn't work. I also tried the d = v t equation, but that wouldn't work either. I'm assuming I still use Fnet = ma for this.

For you answers could you also tell me why that works? Thanks a lot

EDIT: Additionally, I just read the sticky, and if a mod feels that it should belong in the homework section, please feel free to move it; but it's not really homework, as I'm just studying for a test.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

use
    [tex]
    x=\frac{1}{2}a t^2 + v_0 t + x_0
    [/tex]

and F=ma

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3
    I'm still having trouble putting the formula together. I filled in the t's with the 1.5, but I've never heard of v_0... I've heard of v_1 though. Additionally, how is there an x on both sides of the equation?

5. Mar 27, 2008 #4

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

v_0 is the initial velocity, which is...

x_0 is the initial position, which is...

x is the final position, which is...

6. Mar 27, 2008 #5
    Ok, I finally got it. You're equation helped a little, but I was still confused by it. The final equation was d = 1/2at^2

Thanks a lot for the effort... I really don't think I'm going to do well on this test :cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook