I really need someone to help me with these physics math problems

• Thread starter indiansfan4life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: So the critical angle is the angle of incidence such that n1 sin \theta_c = 1, and n1 is given.22. What is the illuminance of a light when it is 4.6 m away from a light with an intensity of 78 candle power?d= 4.6 mcd= 78P= 980.2E=P/4(pie)d2cd=P/4(pie)CD4(pie)=P78(4)(pie)E=980.2/4(pie)(4.6)^2E=3.69 lxIn summary, the conversation showed the individual's frustrations with getting help on their school work
indiansfan4life
Since no one seems to be helping me, maybe you will help me when I post my exact work that I did. I just need someone to check them all and make sure I did the right equations and if I got the right answers or not. This is for a grade, and I desperately need a passing grade on this worksheet to even pass the class. I made an honest attempt at each.

analysis:
10. the picture that we see in a mirror is called the
my answer=image
11. the actual object that makes a picture that we see on a mirror is called the
my answer=specular

-problems- show your work

15. What is the wavelength of a wave with a frequency of 100.4 MHz?

Given:
f=100.4 MHz
3x10^8

f=100.4x10^6

-----------
3x10^8

=.335 m

16. A substance allows light to travel through it with a velocity of 2.45 x10^8 m/s. What is the substances index of refraction?

Given:
v=2.45x10^8 m/s
3x10^8

n=c/v

2.45 x 10^8
------------
3 x 10^8

=1.22

17. What is the intensity of a light that has a lumnious flux of 750 lumens?

Given:
P= 750 lm
E= ?

E=P/4(pie)

E=750 lm/4(pie)

E=589.05 cd

18. What is the illuminance provided by a light with a luminous flux of 1120 lm when it is 2.3 meters away?

Given:
E= ?
P= 1120 lm
d= 2m

E=P/4(pie)d^2

E=1120 lm/4(pie)2^2

E=22.28 lx

19. What would the angle of refraction be if a light ray starts in a diamond and goes into the air it has an angle of incidence of 9 degrees.

Given:
airn=1
n=?
90 degrees

n1sinQ1=n2sinQ2

sin(9)=n2sin(nr)
2.417xsinQ2=1sin90

=24.44 degrees

20. What is the critical angle of light going from quartz to air?

Given:
nquartz=1.544

sin x= 1/1.544 = .647

sin-1(.647)

=40.37 degrees

22. What is the illuminance of a light when it is 4.6 m away from a light with an intensity of 78 candle power?

d= 4.6 m
cd= 78
P= 980.2

E=P/4(pie)d2
cd=P/4(pie)

CD4(pie)=P
78(4)(pie)

E=980.2/4(pie)(4.6)^2

E=3.69 lx

Physics news on Phys.org
I post my work and I still get no help. I have asked politely and everyone refuses to help me. I don't get it.

I would help if I could... no one seems to ever reply to my questions either. One time I even went as far as scanning my paper with what I had done so far and no one replied.

What'd you see wrong in 17?

Isn't one candela one lumen in one sterradian...?

Daniel.

I don't think so

indiansfan4life said:
analysis:
10. the picture that we see in a mirror is called the
my answer=image
11. the actual object that makes a picture that we see on a mirror is called the
my answer=specular

The answer to 10 sounds reasonable enough. But your answer to 11 doesn't make a lot of sense to me. As far as I know, "specular" is a description, not a thing. It describes reflection from a smooth, polished surface, if I remember right. That having been said, I have no idea what #11 could be asking for, especially since they already used the word "object".

indiansfan4life said:
-problems- show your work

15. What is the wavelength of a wave with a frequency of 100.4 MHz?

Given:
f=100.4 MHz
3x10^8

f=100.4x10^6

-----------
3x10^8

=.335 m

16. A substance allows light to travel through it with a velocity of 2.45 x10^8 m/s. What is the substances index of refraction?

Given:
v=2.45x10^8 m/s
3x10^8

n=c/v

2.45 x 10^8
------------
3 x 10^8

=1.22

15. [tex] c = f \lambda [/tex]. Solve for lamda. I don't your answer is correct. Recheck your calculations and algebra.

16. Your formula for the index of refraction is correct. *Note that you have reversed the numerator and denominator after plugging the numbers in*. Nevertheless, I'm assuming you did it correctly on your worksheet, since your answer is > 1.

Sorry...I don't remember enought about lumens, candela, lux and all those other crazy units to help you there.

Note: [itex] \pi [/itex] is spelled, "pi".

indiansfan4life said:
19. What would the angle of refraction be if a light ray starts in a diamond and goes into the air it has an angle of incidence of 9 degrees.

Given:
airn=1
n=?
90 degrees <---- what does this mean?

n1sinQ1=n2sinQ2

sin(9)=n2sin(nr) <---- what does nr mean?
2.417xsinQ2=1sin90 <---- where did 90 come from ?

=24.44 degrees

I think you've got the basic idea, *except that we are going from diamond to air, not the other way around!*. So let air be medium 2, and diamond be medium 1. Applying Snell's law, it should be:

[tex] n_1 \sin \theta_1 = n_2 \sin \theta_2 [/tex]

n2 = 1 for air.
n1 = ? (I'm assuming 2.417, since that is what you wrote)

[tex] \theta_2 = \sin^{-1} (n_1 \sin(9^o)) [/tex]

indiansfan4life said:
20. What is the critical angle of light going from quartz to air?

Given:
nquartz=1.544

sin x= 1/1.544 = .647

sin-1(.647)

=40.37 degrees

I think you did this one correctly. Key concept: at the critical angle of incidence, the angle of refraction is 90 degrees. The sine of 90 degrees is 1.

1. Why do I need help with physics math problems?

Many people struggle with physics math problems because they require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and their application in a scientific context. It is not uncommon to need extra help with these types of problems, even for those who are confident in their math skills.

2. Where can I find someone to help me with these problems?

There are many resources available for students who need help with physics math problems. You can reach out to your teacher or professor, attend tutoring sessions, join study groups, or even hire a private tutor.

3. How can I improve my understanding of physics math problems?

The best way to improve your understanding of physics math problems is through practice and repetition. Make sure you understand the underlying concepts and equations, and then work through as many problems as you can. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend study groups to get additional guidance.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics math problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics math problems include not showing all of your work, using incorrect units, and making simple calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and be meticulous in your calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I stay motivated when working on difficult physics math problems?

It can be challenging to stay motivated when faced with difficult physics math problems. One way to stay motivated is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps. You can also try taking breaks and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Remember to celebrate small victories and seek help when needed.