I really need to understand this. I Love Physics, but sometimes I get to overwhelmed

In summary, an astronaut on the moon is conducting experiments on the relationship between distance fallen, y, and time elapsed, t, for falling objects. By creating a log-log plot of data for a falling penny, the astronaut determines that the expected relationship between y and t is y = BtC, where B and C are constants. By comparing the data to a linear relationship, the values of B and C are estimated to be 1 m/s2 and 2, respectively. Using this relationship, the astronaut is able to determine that it would take 3 seconds for a penny to fall 1.0 m and that the acceleration of objects dropped on the moon is 4 m/s2.
losolomd

Homework Statement

You are an astronaut doing physics experiments on the moon. You are interested in the experimental relationship between distance fallen, y, and time elapsed, t, of falling objects dropped from rest. You have taken some data for a falling penny, which is represented in the table below.
(a) y (m) 10 20 30 40 50
(b) t (s) 3.5 5.2 6.0 7.3 7.9
You expect that a general relationship between distance y and time t is y = BtC, where B and C are constants to be determined experimentally. To accomplish this, create a log-log plot of the data.
(a) Graph log(y) vs. log(t), with log(y) the ordinate variable and log(t) the abscissa variable. (Do this on paper. Your instructor may ask you to turn in this work.)

(b) Show that if you take the log of each side of your expected relationship, you get log(y) = log(B) + C log(t). (Do this on paper. Your instructor may ask you to turn in this work.)

(c) By comparing this linear relationship to the graph of the data, estimate the values of B and C.
B = 1 m/s2
C = 2

(d) If you drop a penny, how long should it take to fall 1.0 m?
3 s

(e) In the next chapter, we will show that the expected relationship between y and t is y = ½at2, where a is the acceleration of the object. What is the acceleration of objects dropped on the moon?
4 m/s2

Homework Equations

y = BtC

The Attempt at a Solution

log(Y)+ log(t) = log(Y).(t)

Physics news on Phys.org

That y=BtC should be y=B*t^C. Taking the logarithm of both sides it is log(y) = log(B) + C log(t). Plot the logarithm of height, log(y) as function of log(t). The point will scatter around a straight line. Either draw the line and read the slope and log(B) from the graph, or determine the constants with linear regression.

ehild

Thanks for all your help..

1. How can I better understand complex physics concepts?

One way to better understand complex physics concepts is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. Take the time to thoroughly understand the fundamentals and build upon them gradually. Also, try to relate the concepts to real-life examples or visualize them in your mind.

2. What resources can I use to improve my understanding of physics?

There are many resources available to help you improve your understanding of physics. These include textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, study groups, and practicing problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or your teacher if you are struggling with a specific concept.

3. How can I overcome feeling overwhelmed when studying physics?

One way to overcome feeling overwhelmed is to break your studying into smaller chunks and take breaks in between. It's also important to prioritize and focus on the most important concepts. Don't be afraid to ask for help when needed and remember to take care of your physical and mental health.

4. How can I stay motivated when studying physics?

To stay motivated, try to find the aspects of physics that interest you the most and focus on those. Set goals for yourself and celebrate your progress. Surround yourself with a supportive study group or partner and remember to take breaks and reward yourself for your hard work.

5. What can I do if I feel like I'm not good at physics?

Don't be discouraged if you feel like you're not good at physics. It's a challenging subject and it takes time and effort to master. Seek help from your teacher or tutor and focus on building a strong foundation. Remember to not compare yourself to others and to celebrate your progress no matter how small.