1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I require advice please

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    Hi,

First i just want to say if this is not the right place to post, i apologies now.

The reason for my post is this. I would really like to be able to design and create
    my own circuit boards/devices then program the drivers and finally my own software
    to interface with that device.

The software im on my way to learning with a software engineer degree, but im not sure
    where to start when it comes to circuit boards, electronic.

Do i need to have a good foundation of maths and or physics to reach my goal?
    Right now im not sure where to start so any directions would be greatly welcome.

Take care
    Will

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It wouldn't hurt to have knowledge of math and/or physics, but I know plenty of electronics hobbyists who do just fine without them.

But you're planning to go into software engineering. You might need some advanced math - calculus for example.

You don't have to be an A+ in every subject if that's what you're worried about.

4. Apr 28, 2012 #3
    Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me and for the advice.

I wanted to know what books you would recommend for getting back into math, which i did not pay much attention at school with and a book on physics.

I just want to learn i like reading. but because i dont know alot of math i have to start form scratch before i can learn anything about physics, well thats what i have been lead to believe.

any help or direction would be great

Thanks

5. Apr 28, 2012 #4
    Not much math is involved in software engineering (speaking from the Computer Science/Physics double major perspective). It is nice to know algorithms and how to implement your own algorithms but that is a luxury.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook