I restored my iPhone, but iTunes asks for a password

• Thread starter klazoniac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iphone
In summary, when trying to restore a backup that was encrypted with a password, iTunes asks for the password instead of the backup password. If you don't remember the password, you can reset it or try to brute-force it.
klazoniac
Accidentally deleted a couple of notes from my iPhone and fortunately they were backed up by iTunes. When I try to restore the previous backup today, it stops and asks me for password. I don't remember i have set any password for that. Does this sound normal?

Computer science news on Phys.org
iPhone backups can be encrypted with a password.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205220
It appears that if the backup is encrypted and you lose the password, you're out of luck. Unless maybe you know someone at the CIA or the FSB. :oldwink:

[added] But before you give up, make sure it's not your Apple ID password that it's asking for. Try resetting that if you don't remember it, or think you might have mis-remembered it.

I've never tried to restore my iPhone backup, so I have no direct experience with this.

Last edited:
Likes klazoniac
Is this your iPhone,you don't even remember if you have a password for iTunes.The only way is to recover password for iTunes.

jtbell said:
iPhone backups can be encrypted with a password.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205220
It appears that if the backup is encrypted and you lose the password, you're out of luck. Unless maybe you know someone at the CIA or the FSB. :oldwink:

[added] But before you give up, make sure it's not your Apple ID password that it's asking for. Try resetting that if you don't remember it, or think you might have mis-remembered it.

I've never tried to restore my iPhone backup, so I have no direct experience with this.

The backup password is different from iPhone passcode or Apple ID, the only way is to brute-force it, it is too bad.

Eakery said:
Is this your iPhone,you don't even remember if you have a password for iTunes.The only way is to recover password for iTunes.
Thanks for the addup

klazoniac said:
Accidentally deleted a couple of notes from my iPhone and fortunately they were backed up by iTunes. When I try to restore the previous backup today, it stops and asks me for password. I don't remember i have set any password for that. Does this sound normal?
Hey, have you successfully unlocked iTunes Backup now? I have a little experience with this and hope to be helpful to others. First, if you have used third-party password tools, they may have set a blank default password for you. You just need to keep the password box blank and click OK. Second, if you're used to using long passwords, try those long passwords until the password is filled. It may have been cut off. Finally, if you choose to abandon this backup, you can follow the Apple method to reset the iTunes password to ensure that subsequent backups are no longer lost.

1. Why is iTunes asking for a password after I restored my iPhone?

When you restore your iPhone, it erases all of your device's content and settings. This includes any saved passwords or login information for your iTunes account. Therefore, when you open iTunes after the restore, it will prompt you to enter your Apple ID password in order to access your account.

2. I don't remember my iTunes password, what should I do?

If you have forgotten your iTunes password, you can reset it by going to the Apple ID website and selecting the "Forgot Apple ID or password?" option. You will then be prompted to answer security questions or receive a password reset link via email.

3. Can I change my iTunes password after restoring my iPhone?

Yes, you can change your iTunes password at any time by going to the Apple ID website and selecting the "Change your password" option. Keep in mind that after changing your password, you will need to enter the new password in iTunes and any other Apple devices that use your Apple ID.

4. Will restoring my iPhone delete my iTunes account?

No, restoring your iPhone does not delete your iTunes account. It only erases the data on your device. Your iTunes account and all of your purchases will still be associated with your Apple ID.

5. I entered my iTunes password, but it keeps asking me to sign in. What should I do?

If you are repeatedly prompted to enter your iTunes password, there may be an issue with your account or the device itself. Try signing out of your iTunes account on all devices, then signing back in. If the issue persists, contact Apple Support for further assistance.