I saw my philosophy professor today

In summary, after arguing for 30 minutes, the speaker convinced their professor to raise their mid-term grade by 14% resulting in a B grade. They discuss the grading system and speculate about the difficulty of getting an A in different systems. The conversation also touches on the possibility of the professor intentionally giving lower grades and then allowing students to argue for a higher grade later. The conversation ends with a humorous exchange about violating the code of secrecy.
Smurf
I was arguing with him for about 30 minutes in his office and finally convinced him to raise my mid term grade by a (total) of 14%. :biggrin: :rofl:

I now have a B

(in any other grading system it'd be an A, but you need 90% to get an A in this class - stupid)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Smurf said:
(in any other grading system it'd be an A, but you need 90% to get an A in this class - stupid)
Would that mean any other grading system than the usual one? Do you get A's for less than 90% usually? That's not how it works here. 90 and above is an A.

is that so? the grading system changes from class to class. But A's usually start at 85ish

Now let's think about this. I am sure that if I were to say that Canadians are morons and that is why Canadian schools use a lower grading system, you would say something like: "it is still difficult to get an A even if you need only 80%." Now let's apply that here. It is probably just as easy to get an A with a 90% scale, as it is for an 85% scale, right? Or are you saying that Americans are generally smarter than Canadians because we use a 90% scale for A's? I know you will certainly not say the latter, so stop being a lazy mofo and earn your A :tongue2:

That's a B for me:

A~ 90-100%
B+~89.5%
B~80-89%
C+~79.5%
C~ 70-79
D~60-69
F~0-50

mattmns said:
Now let's think about this. I am sure that if I were to say that Canadians are morons and that is why Canadian schools use a lower grading system, you would say something like: "it is still difficult to get an A even if you need only 80%." Now let's apply that here. It is probably just as easy to get an A with a 90% scale, as it is for an 85% scale, right? Or are you saying that Americans are generally smarter than Canadians because we use a 90% scale for A's? I know you will certainly not say the latter, so stop being a lazy mofo and earn your A :tongue2:
I'm saying that in any of my other classes I'd be getting an "A" but because this class is slightly higher it's just a B+/A-

and he is saying that you are stupid:uhh:

Smurf said:
I'm saying that in any of my other classes I'd be getting an "A" but because this class is slightly higher it's just a B+/A-
Do you think that if you only needed a 30 to get an A that you would have received the same grades?

I am saying that the teacher most likely compensates for the grade scale, and that an A no matter what the scale, would probably have the same difficulty.

edit.. Maybe I was wrong though, maybe Canadians do need that lowered grade scale :tongue2:

Smurf said:
Or maybe you'd still be getting a C because they wouldn't have agreed to raising the grade by 14% since the cut-off was already more lenient. :devil:

Smurf said:
I now have a B

You realize that almost everywhere in the US it's like this... (or so i think)

doubtfull, if I'd gotten 2 more questions right (stupid mistake, really) I'd have had 98-99%

There's at least a small chance that your professor has enough experience with students arguing their grades, that he goes through most of the semester indicating you're at a C while fully expecting to assign you a B.

This way, if a disagreement over grades comes up, he can let you argue your case and win - (you need to present a thought-out case) you feel good about "winning" the extra grade, and it's no skin off his back.

Wouldn't you consider doing that sort of thing, in his place, if students were arguing with you over points every few weeks?

Not that you shouldn't consider whether your grade is fair or not, from your perspective; you should. It's just that sometimes this whole "point" game gets to be so much of a game... and you don't strike me as the sort of person who would want to play these sorts of games.

pattylou said:
There's at least a small chance that your professor has enough experience with students arguing their grades, that he goes through most of the semester indicating you're at a C while fully expecting to assign you a B.
This way, if a disagreement over grades comes up, he can let you argue your case and win - (you need to present a thought-out case) you feel good about "winning" the extra grade, and it's no skin off his back.
Wouldn't you consider doing that sort of thing, in his place, if students were arguing with you over points every few weeks?
Not that you shouldn't consider whether your grade is fair or not, from your perspective; you should. It's just that sometimes this whole "point" game gets to be so much of a game... and you don't strike me as the sort of person who would want to play these sorts of games.

You've violated the code of secrecy! How could you?! :rofl: But, yeah, I know I tend to do a bit of that, grade harder during the term, try to get the students to work a little harder and do a little better, and then bump all the grades up a bit at the end...nobody ever complains if they get a B when they were expecting a C. :biggrin:

... go hump a cactus

Moonbear said:
You've violated the code of secrecy! How could you?! :rofl: :biggrin:
:rofl: :rofl: I know. I really hesitated, I swear to God I did.

But I rationalised that if it reduces the amount of pointless arguing that goes on between a student and a teacher, somewhere, sometime... maybe just once...

That will be one less headache for an educator somewhere, and a good deed will have been done. o:)

At least she didn't tell them that we more often give the benefit of the doubt to the student who's obviously been trying hard in class than to the one who was more than happy to settle for D's.

Oops.

What is the significance of seeing my philosophy professor?

Seeing your philosophy professor can be significant in a few ways. It could be a chance encounter that holds no specific meaning, or it could be a reminder of the lessons and knowledge you gained from them. It could also be an opportunity to reconnect and discuss your current thoughts and ideas.

Should I approach my philosophy professor if I see them in public?

Approaching your philosophy professor in public is a personal decision. If you feel comfortable and have something to discuss, it can be a great opportunity. However, if you are in a rush or do not have anything to say, it is also okay to simply acknowledge them and continue on with your day.

Is it normal to feel intimidated when seeing my philosophy professor?

Feeling intimidated by your philosophy professor is a common experience, especially if you are still a student or have a strong admiration for them. However, it is important to remember that they are human and approachable. Try to see it as an opportunity to have a meaningful conversation or exchange ideas.

What should I do if I have a disagreement with my philosophy professor in public?

If you have a disagreement with your philosophy professor in public, it is best to handle it calmly and respectfully. It is okay to express your differing opinions, but avoid getting into a heated argument. If necessary, you can always schedule a private meeting to further discuss the issue.

Are there any benefits to seeing my philosophy professor outside of class?

There can be many benefits to seeing your philosophy professor outside of class. It can strengthen your relationship with them, provide opportunities for deeper discussions, and potentially lead to mentorship or networking opportunities. It can also be a reminder of the impact they have had on your academic and personal growth.