Spotting the ISS With My Binoculars: A Lucky Moment

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Prof Sabi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iss Moment
In summary,The person wrote about spotting the ISS with their binoculars and feeling lucky. They said that it is cool to see, especially when you're not expecting it. They also mentioned that they have never seen the ISS with their telescope, and that it looked like a light streak moving fast. They also mentioned that the ISS is up to 50 arcsec in diameter, which is big enough to have some structure even in binoculars. They also said that they need to put some effort into looking at it because it moves too fast with the naked eye. Lastly, they mentioned that watching ISS with a guide on youtube gives a better feeling of amazement.
Prof Sabi
I JUST spotted the ISS with my powerful binoculars,
How luck I am... :woot: I was looking at Sirius and just then a streak of non twinkling light passed through, when I ran to desktop to check ISS tracker i saw it was just over India... I feel very lucky to see the greatest project of mankind history :D...

Likes davenn, Andy Resnick and BillTre
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It is very cool to see, especially when you aren't expecting it. I was BBQing with some friends a month ago and saw it unexpectedly. It wasn't even very dark outside yet. Same thing: checked an app to verify.

I've never put binoculars on it: what did it look like?

Just a light streak moving fast... When I located it, it was just passing below Sirius in the evening eastern sky.. Well I just ran and told everyone In my house bout that :smile:

My Binocular is nothing before your telescope in your pic by the way :-p But still I had a great feeling, even I saw it unexpectedly

[google] Oh; up to about 50 arcsec in diameter, which is big enough that it should have some structure even in binoculars! I need to put some effort into looking at it...

I tried but it was fast... I just got a glimpse

Prof Sabi said:
I JUST spotted the ISS with my powerful binoculars,
How luck I am... :woot: I was looking at Sirius and just then a streak of non twinkling light passed through, when I ran to desktop to check ISS tracker i saw it was just over India... I feel very lucky to see the greatest project of mankind history :D...

If you have a smart phone, there is a free app called "sky view lite" that is pretty decent. You can locate ISS on there and even Hubble.

Surely I will try the app... Thanks mate :)

Prof Sabi said:
My Binocular is nothing before your telescope in your pic by the way :-p But still I had a great feeling, even I saw it unexpectedly

russ_watters said:
[google] Oh; up to about 50 arcsec in diameter, which is big enough that it should have some structure even in binoculars! I need to put some effort into looking at it...

It looks like this when passing overhead (through an 800mm lens):

Likes sophiecentaur and russ_watters
The best part is that, humans are there... A sense of peaceful world. I always saw ISS on youtube with Suni Williams as a guide, fidget spinners up in space but looking it directly gives a great feeling

1. How can I spot the ISS with my binoculars?

The ISS (International Space Station) can be seen with binoculars by looking for a bright, fast-moving object in the night sky. You can use websites or apps such as NASA's Spot the Station to find out the best viewing times and locations for your area.

2. What are the best binoculars to use for spotting the ISS?

The best binoculars to use for spotting the ISS are ones with a magnification of at least 7x and an objective lens diameter of 50mm or larger. This will provide enough magnification and light gathering ability to see the ISS clearly in the night sky.

3. Can I spot the ISS with my naked eye or do I need binoculars?

It is possible to spot the ISS with your naked eye, but using binoculars can make the viewing experience more enjoyable and allow you to see more detail of the station. However, if the ISS is passing overhead during the day, binoculars may be necessary to see it.

4. How long can I see the ISS with my binoculars?

The amount of time you can see the ISS with binoculars will vary based on its orbit and your location. Typically, it can be seen for 2-4 minutes as it passes overhead. However, if it is in a lower orbit, it may only be visible for a minute or less.

5. Is it difficult to spot the ISS with binoculars?

No, spotting the ISS with binoculars is not difficult as long as you have the right viewing times and locations. With the help of websites or apps, it is relatively easy to find out when and where the ISS will be passing overhead. Just be sure to have a steady hand and a clear view of the sky.