Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing I saw the ISS!

1. Jun 5, 2018 #1
    I JUST spotted the ISS with my powerful binoculars,
    How luck I am.... :woot: I was looking at Sirius and just then a streak of non twinkling light passed through, when I ran to desktop to check ISS tracker i saw it was just over India.... I feel very lucky to see the greatest project of mankind history :D....

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2018 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It is very cool to see, especially when you aren't expecting it. I was BBQing with some friends a month ago and saw it unexpectedly. It wasn't even very dark outside yet. Same thing: checked an app to verify.

I've never put binoculars on it: what did it look like?

4. Jun 5, 2018 #3
    Just a light streak moving fast... When I located it, it was just passing below Sirius in the evening eastern sky.. Well I just ran and told everyone In my house bout that :smile:

5. Jun 5, 2018 #4
    My Binocular is nothing before your telescope in your pic by the way :-p But still I had a great feeling, even I saw it unexpectedly

6. Jun 5, 2018 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

[google] Oh; up to about 50 arcsec in diameter, which is big enough that it should have some structure even in binoculars! I need to put some effort into looking at it...

7. Jun 5, 2018 #6
    I tried but it was fast... I just got a glimpse

8. Jun 5, 2018 #7
    If you have a smart phone, there is a free app called "sky view lite" that is pretty decent. You can locate ISS on there and even Hubble.

9. Jun 5, 2018 #8
    Surely I will try the app... Thanks mate :)

10. Jun 5, 2018 #9
  11. Jun 5, 2018 #10

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It looks like this when passing overhead (through an 800mm lens):

12. Jun 5, 2018 #11
    The best part is that, humans are there..... A sense of peaceful world. I always saw ISS on youtube with Suni Williams as a guide, fidget spinners up in space but looking it directly gives a great feeling

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted