I saw the ISS!

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Prof Sabi
  • Start date
I JUST spotted the ISS with my powerful binoculars,
How luck I am.... :woot: I was looking at Sirius and just then a streak of non twinkling light passed through, when I ran to desktop to check ISS tracker i saw it was just over India.... I feel very lucky to see the greatest project of mankind history :D....

Likes davenn, Andy Resnick and BillTre

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
It is very cool to see, especially when you aren't expecting it. I was BBQing with some friends a month ago and saw it unexpectedly. It wasn't even very dark outside yet. Same thing: checked an app to verify.

I've never put binoculars on it: what did it look like?

Just a light streak moving fast... When I located it, it was just passing below Sirius in the evening eastern sky.. Well I just ran and told everyone In my house bout that :smile:

My Binocular is nothing before your telescope in your pic by the way :-p But still I had a great feeling, even I saw it unexpectedly

russ_watters
Mentor
[google] Oh; up to about 50 arcsec in diameter, which is big enough that it should have some structure even in binoculars! I need to put some effort into looking at it...

I tried but it was fast... I just got a glimpse

I JUST spotted the ISS with my powerful binoculars,
How luck I am.... :woot: I was looking at Sirius and just then a streak of non twinkling light passed through, when I ran to desktop to check ISS tracker i saw it was just over India.... I feel very lucky to see the greatest project of mankind history :D....
If you have a smart phone, there is a free app called "sky view lite" that is pretty decent. You can locate ISS on there and even Hubble.

Surely I will try the app... Thanks mate :)

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
My Binocular is nothing before your telescope in your pic by the way :-p But still I had a great feeling, even I saw it unexpectedly
[google] Oh; up to about 50 arcsec in diameter, which is big enough that it should have some structure even in binoculars! I need to put some effort into looking at it...
It looks like this when passing overhead (through an 800mm lens):

Likes sophiecentaur and russ_watters
The best part is that, humans are there..... A sense of peaceful world. I always saw ISS on youtube with Suni Williams as a guide, fidget spinners up in space but looking it directly gives a great feeling