Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I saw the movie Sunshine

1. Sep 27, 2010 #1
    I saw the movie Sunshine, directed by Danny Boyle in 2007 and I wasn't extremely impressed (mostly due to my ignorance and immaturity) but I watched it today just out of pure fascination of how the movie intertwines fate, science, art, and humanity into one beautiful journey and I absolutely loved it. If you haven't seen it, go and get it (not at Blockbuster they just went bankrupt) the movie is absolutely mesmerizing. Here is a trailer:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2
    Re: Sunshine

the whole premise of the movie is complete nonsense and for that reason I don't think I could ever stand to watch it.

4. Sep 27, 2010 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

I thought the premise was to get laid.. we talking about the same movie?

Ah I see.. I am of course talking about http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145503/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Sep 27, 2010 #4

Movies that appear nonsensical usually hold a strain of uniqueness, to me that is a quality of a great movie. For instance Donnie Darko and The Prestige were great movies about a Schizophrenic and two competing magicians.

6. Sep 27, 2010 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought Sunshine was beautifully done. The story was weak, but the special effects were fantastic.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  7. Sep 28, 2010 #6

I watched a bit of it on TV and all I really remember was watching one of the final scenes and thinking "wtf is going on?" (due to the way they edited it, I think, it was really hard to tell what was happening...unless I'm confusing it with another movie)

Anyways, who needs special effects when you can get actual images of the sun

8. Sep 28, 2010 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I guess one would have to have an appreciation for the artistic use of imagery.

Normally I could care less about special effects, but Sunshine was truly a work of art, imo.

9. Sep 28, 2010 #8

i remember watching this, but i think i must have missed the ending. kinda meh, ok but not great.

fwiw, i just loooove strange films, but by strange i mean Being John Malkovitch

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook