How Can I Obtain These Old-School Lifting Books Legally?

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
In summary: Neither. I find gyms to be boring and wastes of time when there's plenty of productive ways to get exercise and stay in shape.
heman
I saw the pic of Astronuc,I never imagined he will be so muscular! :biggrin:

Who here do Gym regularly and have great muscles( :rofl: ) and who here prefer playing games more than doing Gym.

Physics news on Phys.org
I go to the gym regularly, but I'm no Arnold.

rocketboy said:

ditto

|_ :biggrin: _|

Neither. I find gyms to be boring and wastes of time when there's plenty of productive ways to get exercise and stay in shape.

I'm looking forward to getting back to my Sheep Farm complete fitness program:
Strength training: lifting sheep or just trying to hold them still
Agility training: got to catch 'em first!
Endurance training: now do this with 20 sheep every 2 hours all night long.

:biggrin:

I don't go to the gym, and I don't have great muscles, except in my right arm/hand/shoulder. For some reason that arm is very strong :smile:

rocketboy said:

One here as well ... at times playing with barbells is therapeutic.

I used to lift a lot when I was in the Army. That however was a mistake since all I got was big and bulky. I have spent the rest of the time not lifting and using my own body weight as resistance. I work more on agility and speed in my particular regime.

rocketboy said:
Ditto2...

I've been sidelined for most of the summer with asthma attacks, but I'm normally at the gym every night, playing basketball. I also do a lot of running and bicycle riding. Not too much lifting, though. I never liked the idea of getting fit by sitting in one place. I prefer plyometrics for strength training.

Gyms are too stinky for me, and the thought of working out on a machine that some guys just sweat all over makes me :yuck:

But every night I walk my dog about 2 miles.

II think age too plays role..
I think Gym is done by guys mostly in the age group 18-25.

Moonbear said:
I'm looking forward to getting back to my Sheep Farm complete fitness program:
Strength training: lifting sheep or just trying to hold them still
Agility training: got to catch 'em first!
Endurance training: now do this with 20 sheep every 2 hours all night long.

:biggrin:

Are you able to shear sheeps?

heman said:
Are you able to shear sheeps?
Shearing them is one thing I don't do. It wouldn't be worth it for me to learn since I'd be painfully slow and there are people who are much better and much faster at it who we can pay to do it for us. Watching a professional sheep shearer is an impressive thing to see too.

I used to be very athletic and worked out regularly for most of my life up to about age 26. From there, everything went to hell. Really I was born broke but it took that long to catch up to me. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Shearing them is one thing I don't do. It wouldn't be worth it for me to learn since I'd be painfully slow and there are people who are much better and much faster at it who we can pay to do it for us. Watching a professional sheep shearer is an impressive thing to see too.

Thanks God! :rofl:
If you would have been shearing sheeps,then shepherds would have been teaching Biology ! :biggrin:

I go to the gym regularly, but haven't been lately. Now, it's down to 1-2 times a week, but I do a full-body workout.

I started working 65 hours a week, so it's difficult to have a life and go to the gym at the same time. This week is my last 65 hour week, so I should be back on track at 3-4 times a week.

My arms are about 15 inches, which is much bigger than average. I also have low bodyfay of maybe 10-11%, so it's quality muscle. ;)

Note: I don't plan on getting any bigger.

Note: I only posted the size of my arms, since anything other measurement would be pretty irrelevant because no one would know what to compare to.

when you say 15" what are you measuring? around shoulder?, bicep?

i'm ~215-220lbs & i train old-school, the way guys back in the >50s did. bottom line to them was to get strong, not to get "buff" or "toned" whatever the fruity bodybuilding mags preach these days. here's one of my favourite books on old-school lifting:
http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaurbook.html

according to most of those authors the best tests/displays of strength were the ones where you either lift something off the floor or the ones where you lift something overhead. all the other ones were secondary. so that's what i work on most. but I've been trying to find a keg or something to train with because it would all awkward & the water would slosh around inside & be harder to lift.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics is Phun said:
when you say 15" what are you measuring? around shoulder?, bicep?

I think he's measuring around bicep...not sure though.

fourier jr said:
i'm ~215-220lbs...

hehe, I'm 149! :approve: Most of my training is to build body mass by means other than eating a ton...which I do anyway...and girls love a well-toned body rite? :rolleyes:

The only time I've been to the gym was when I went in my school's weight room for gym class. I can't lift anything with my 5'7 120 pound frame :grumpy:

hehe, I'm 149! Most of my training is to build body mass by means other than eating a ton...which I do anyway...and girls love a well-toned body rite?
It looks like exactly the same thing i would write, yet, my name isn't on it! :biggrin:

I'm kinda the opposite of Fourier jr. I don't really care about being strong, I just want to look stronger.
What can I do to work on my shoulders and pecs? (I am skinny, especially in the shoulders) I only have dumbells, one barbell with 75lb max weight (but no bench) and some stretchy latex tubes.(a black one and a teil one)

Physics is Phun said:
It looks like exactly the same thing i would write, yet, my name isn't on it! :biggrin:

I'm kinda the opposite of Fourier jr. I don't really care about being strong, I just want to look stronger.
What can I do to work on my shoulders and pecs? (I am skinny, especially in the shoulders) I only have dumbells, one barbell with 75lb max weight (but no bench) and some stretchy latex tubes.(a black one and a teil one)

generally anything where you lift the bar over your head will work your shoulders. you can do it with either dumbbells (1 or 2 at a time) or a barbell. i actually think it's good to not have a bench, because then by BODY becomes the bench. before benches existed people pressed overhead; that was the bench press of the day. what i do is start out with a weight i can do 5 sets of 3 with, & keep trying to add reps & sets until i can do 5 sets of 5 (or even more) & then put more weight on (~10lbs). every workout i try to do a bit more than i did the previous time one way or another. that's usually called 'double-progressive' since I'm progressing in 2 ways (sets/reps & weight). it doesn't always work out that way but i don't worry about it too much if i don't.

fourier jr said:
i'm ~215-220lbs & i train old-school, the way guys back in the >50s did. bottom line to them was to get strong, not to get "buff" or "toned" whatever the fruity bodybuilding mags preach these days. here's one of my favourite books on old-school lifting:
http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaurbook.html

Is there any way to get that text (legally) other than buying it directly from the author off the site? I have been interested in the Dino training one and Supertraining by Mel Siff for some time, but I don't know how to get copies of both the books. I can't find them on amazon. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Who is Astronuc?

Astronuc is a username used by a person on various online platforms. It is not a real name and does not represent a specific person.

2. What is the picture of Astronuc?

The picture of Astronuc could potentially refer to any image that has been used by the person using that username, as it is not a specific image or representation.

3. Why is there a picture of Astronuc?

The person using the username Astronuc may have chosen to use a picture as their profile image on various online platforms.

4. Is Astronuc a scientist?

There is no way to determine if the person using the username Astronuc is a scientist or not, as it is not a real name and does not provide any information about their profession or education.

5. Can I see the picture of Astronuc?

As there is no specific picture associated with the username Astronuc, it would not be possible to provide a picture upon request.