1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I see red people!

1. Dec 9, 2005 #1

Tsu

Gold Member

Our TV is broken. :cry: The green went away. :bugeye: Now everything has a god-awful red hue to it. :yuck:
    So, what do you suggest? Plasma or LCD - and why?
    Oh yeah. What's HDTV? :confused: Does it come in plasma and LCD? I don't like researching this stuff and Ivan (poor baby) is SO busy lately! :frown:
    Somebody help me! :surprised
    Thank you very much. :shy: :redface:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh, do you remember those see-thru colored tv screen covers that they sold back in the late 50's early 60's to put over black & white tv screens to make them "color tv's"? :rofl:

Just put a green tinted screen cover over your set...problem solved.

No need to thank me, it's the least I can do. :approve:

Yeah, the small font isn't very small.

4. Dec 9, 2005 #3

Tsu

Gold Member

wow. Do you LIVE online? :rofl: How ya been, sis? Let's talk this weekend! :smile:

Oh - yeah. Green filter. Gottcha. :rolleyes: NEXT!!!! :rofl:

5. Dec 9, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

You can combine it with my old one if you want; the red gun's gone in it. If we put them together, we'll have one big assembly that we can watch 3-D movies on. :approve:

6. Dec 9, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:frown: yes

I was going to make a "whine" thread to complain about everything, but decided to spare everyone. I'll call you this weekend. I'll make a pitcher of green apple martinis and we can talk for awhile. :approve:

Hey drink enough and the tv will start to look better. :biggrin:

7. Dec 9, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think plasma is suppose to be better :P

HDTV is a new "high-definition" standard of television. You know how they always go "watch this program, now in High Definition"... well the cable company (or local stations broadcast) is sending the signal with a higher resolution then you've always been use to so you get better picture quality with better tv's that have HDTV. Without the HDTV reciever however, you don't get it :)

8. Dec 9, 2005 #7
    You can get good LCD or Plasma doesn't matter, just make sure you get HDTV, that is the important part. HDTV is awesome. I'd get a widescreen too, but that's up to you. PS, nothing makes a better Christmas present than a large plasma HDTV

9. Dec 9, 2005 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't remember those.

However, I do remember the Oddysey video games. You could play pong half the day long. If you got tired of that, you could put the semi-see-through green tennis court overlay on the TV screen and play tennis for the other half of the day.

10. Dec 9, 2005 #9

Art

Or you could hang on for SED
    Don't you just love how quickly technology changes :-)

11. Dec 9, 2005 #10

cronxeh

Gold Member

I recommend the highest resolution HDTV projector you can afford :approve:

Would cost you less than LCD/Plasma and if you have a nice big wall will give you the bigger picture

12. Dec 9, 2005 #11
    :wink: I remember when those things came on the market. We didn't have a TV yet though because my dad thought that TV would be a passing fad. I remember him saying: "How can anyone get any work done around the house if they sit and watch one of those things all day.":smile: Poor Mom.

As soon as the boxing matches ,"Friday night fights", were first televised he changed his mind.

13. Dec 9, 2005 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

Sounds good! Let's do it! :biggrin:

14. Dec 9, 2005 #13

Tsu

Gold Member

Sounds like a plan. :biggrin: Although I'm not sure I CAN drink enough to make the TV look better... :rofl: :rofl:

15. Dec 9, 2005 #14

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to have a set that would do that intermittently. Normal color for a while, then Magenta, then back to normal again. Luckily this was back when they still included the schematics with electronic equipment and I was able to trace the problem and fix it.

http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/lcd-vs-plasma.asp
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/hdtv.htm

16. Dec 10, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is light at the end of the tunnel, but it also has a red hue...:uhh:

Hang on, I'll be home soon. :biggrin:

17. Dec 10, 2005 #16

cronxeh

Gold Member

yay. lets celebrate cronxeh's 200th ignored post on this forum

if trend continues im outa here

18. Dec 10, 2005 #17
    Get the plasma before he gets home. He'll just want to fix the old TV. better hurry

19. Dec 10, 2005 #18

Lisa!

Gold Member

WE had the same problem once! That really hurt eyesight!:grumpy:

:zzz: :zzz: :tongue2:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  20. Dec 10, 2005 #19

Tsu

Gold Member

Wow! You COUNT yours, huh? Well, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That's quite a milestone! :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry if it seemed that I ignored you, dear. I was at work while I was posting and I got called away by a bunch of those pesky sick and injured people in the ER. I swear to god they just show up at the WORST times... :biggrin:

Thanks to all of you for the info. After googling and checking Janus' links (thanks, Janus!!!!) I've decided I'd rather just dump it in Ivan's lap when he gets home. :surprised :rofl: :rofl:

21. Dec 10, 2005 #20

cronxeh

Gold Member

Yeah they also seem to vomit only on your best pants, the neweset boots, and cleanest shirts you have in your wardrobe :bugeye:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?