Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I see red people!

1. Dec 9, 2005 #1

Tsu

Gold Member

Our TV is broken. :cry: The green went away. :bugeye: Now everything has a god-awful red hue to it. :yuck:
    So, what do you suggest? Plasma or LCD - and why?
    Oh yeah. What's HDTV? :confused: Does it come in plasma and LCD? I don't like researching this stuff and Ivan (poor baby) is SO busy lately! :frown:
    Somebody help me! :surprised
    Thank you very much. :shy: :redface:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh, do you remember those see-thru colored tv screen covers that they sold back in the late 50's early 60's to put over black & white tv screens to make them "color tv's"? :rofl:

Just put a green tinted screen cover over your set...problem solved.

No need to thank me, it's the least I can do. :approve:

Yeah, the small font isn't very small.

4. Dec 9, 2005 #3

Tsu

Gold Member

wow. Do you LIVE online? :rofl: How ya been, sis? Let's talk this weekend! :smile:

Oh - yeah. Green filter. Gottcha. :rolleyes: NEXT!!!! :rofl:

5. Dec 9, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

You can combine it with my old one if you want; the red gun's gone in it. If we put them together, we'll have one big assembly that we can watch 3-D movies on. :approve:

6. Dec 9, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:frown: yes

I was going to make a "whine" thread to complain about everything, but decided to spare everyone. I'll call you this weekend. I'll make a pitcher of green apple martinis and we can talk for awhile. :approve:

Hey drink enough and the tv will start to look better. :biggrin:

7. Dec 9, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think plasma is suppose to be better :P

HDTV is a new "high-definition" standard of television. You know how they always go "watch this program, now in High Definition"... well the cable company (or local stations broadcast) is sending the signal with a higher resolution then you've always been use to so you get better picture quality with better tv's that have HDTV. Without the HDTV reciever however, you don't get it :)

8. Dec 9, 2005 #7
    You can get good LCD or Plasma doesn't matter, just make sure you get HDTV, that is the important part. HDTV is awesome. I'd get a widescreen too, but that's up to you. PS, nothing makes a better Christmas present than a large plasma HDTV

9. Dec 9, 2005 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't remember those.

However, I do remember the Oddysey video games. You could play pong half the day long. If you got tired of that, you could put the semi-see-through green tennis court overlay on the TV screen and play tennis for the other half of the day.

10. Dec 9, 2005 #9

Art

Or you could hang on for SED
    Don't you just love how quickly technology changes :-)

11. Dec 9, 2005 #10

cronxeh

Gold Member

I recommend the highest resolution HDTV projector you can afford :approve:

Would cost you less than LCD/Plasma and if you have a nice big wall will give you the bigger picture

12. Dec 9, 2005 #11
    :wink: I remember when those things came on the market. We didn't have a TV yet though because my dad thought that TV would be a passing fad. I remember him saying: "How can anyone get any work done around the house if they sit and watch one of those things all day.":smile: Poor Mom.

As soon as the boxing matches ,"Friday night fights", were first televised he changed his mind.

13. Dec 9, 2005 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

Sounds good! Let's do it! :biggrin:

14. Dec 9, 2005 #13

Tsu

Gold Member

Sounds like a plan. :biggrin: Although I'm not sure I CAN drink enough to make the TV look better... :rofl: :rofl:

15. Dec 9, 2005 #14

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to have a set that would do that intermittently. Normal color for a while, then Magenta, then back to normal again. Luckily this was back when they still included the schematics with electronic equipment and I was able to trace the problem and fix it.

http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/lcd-vs-plasma.asp
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/hdtv.htm

16. Dec 10, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is light at the end of the tunnel, but it also has a red hue...:uhh:

Hang on, I'll be home soon. :biggrin:

17. Dec 10, 2005 #16

cronxeh

Gold Member

yay. lets celebrate cronxeh's 200th ignored post on this forum

if trend continues im outa here

18. Dec 10, 2005 #17
    Get the plasma before he gets home. He'll just want to fix the old TV. better hurry

19. Dec 10, 2005 #18

Lisa!

Gold Member

WE had the same problem once! That really hurt eyesight!:grumpy:

:zzz: :zzz: :tongue2:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  20. Dec 10, 2005 #19

Tsu

Gold Member

Wow! You COUNT yours, huh? Well, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That's quite a milestone! :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry if it seemed that I ignored you, dear. I was at work while I was posting and I got called away by a bunch of those pesky sick and injured people in the ER. I swear to god they just show up at the WORST times... :biggrin:

Thanks to all of you for the info. After googling and checking Janus' links (thanks, Janus!!!!) I've decided I'd rather just dump it in Ivan's lap when he gets home. :surprised :rofl: :rofl:

21. Dec 10, 2005 #20

cronxeh

Gold Member

Yeah they also seem to vomit only on your best pants, the neweset boots, and cleanest shirts you have in your wardrobe :bugeye:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?