Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I seriously need help choosing an avatar

1. Aug 10, 2005 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I really like texture and detail in an image, but those are mostly lost when scaled down to 64x64 pixels. No one seems to like my first choice (I don't really like it much anymore), but I can't find a replacement. Here are my options so far:

[​IMG]
    doorknob - my current one

[​IMG]
    clouds - my only other photo I have now that would work

[​IMG]
    This is a picture of Frederick Douglass that I have from another project. I love this picture of him - I think he really looks like he, how to say, fought the good fight. I don't know how well it would work, and I can't seem to find a good square frame of it either, though maybe I could take a new one from the original.

Other ideas:
    I love hands, especially drawings/sketches, especially by Leonardo. (ex. I love this study, but it wouldn't work.)
    I could crop something interesting from a painting (in the public domain). Renaissance, Dutch Masters (Gerard Dou too), Impressionists are my favorites.
    I could always go with a rose.
    Maybe something from Shakespeare?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2005 #2

wolram

Gold Member

Just have some thing that is you. and reflects the nice person you are.

4. Aug 10, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, given your username, I just always envisioned a rose of some sort for you. Perhaps one with a just opening bloom (not a tightly closed bud and not a fully opened bloom yet either) with lots of dew drops on it. Maybe a black and white image would emphasize the textural/depth qualities you prefer more than a color image.

Edit:
    I just found this image which would be really cool for you (it looked good as a thumbnail image too, so should work as an avatar, though it only looked black and white in the thumbnail). It's a fractal image that looks like a rose.

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/fractals/collect/1995/ROSE.GIF

And then there's this more unusual image (it's large) that you might be able to crop out just a portion of it if you like it.

http://www.buffaloworks.us/images/Rose E Flame.jpg

I like the fractal image best, but both of these are something more unique than just a rose.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  5. Aug 10, 2005 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

6. Aug 10, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Well, what can I say to that? :smile:

7. Aug 10, 2005 #6

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I googled "nice person" and she came up:

[​IMG]

8. Aug 10, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

I'm working on it :biggrin:

9. Aug 10, 2005 #8

Lisa!

Gold Member

Put your childhood photo in your avatar.

10. Aug 10, 2005 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I kind of liked the door knob. Hmmmm..... Very thought provoking.

If that's out, then I vote for the second rose Moonbear posted.

11. Aug 10, 2005 #10
    That's so close to how I've always imagined her.

12. Aug 10, 2005 #11
    HRW, what does you username mean? People are thinking "rose", but, of course, that's not the same thing as rosewater. Honest Rosewater. I'm not sure what that's meant to suggest.

As far as the Fredick Douglas, I think it's odd and off when people use members of the opposite sex as their avatars. I think an avatar should be "you" somehow, not who you admire.

The doorknob was a good photo with good composition but I'm not sure it suggested anything in particular to me about anything.

The Da Vinci hands are really nice. You couldn't crop and just use one of them?

13. Aug 10, 2005 #12

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I'll never forget the PMs from guys telling me how hot I was when I had Scarlett Johannson as my avatar.

14. Aug 10, 2005 #13
    Yeah, never mind that lofty rationalization I posted above: I was once outraged when I checked the profile of a person sporting a Katie Holmes avatar who turned out to be quite male.

15. Aug 10, 2005 #14
    If I were a young lady I think that having my name associated with a doorknob wouldn't necessarily be the best idea.

16. Aug 10, 2005 #15

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I explained my name in the etymology thread, wherever it is. I was going to change my name - in real life - to Honest Waking Rosewater. The Honest and Waking you can figure out, Rosewater has a longer story. Anywho, Rose seems to be sticking as a nickname, and I like some of the symbolism in literature, but I think roses more commonly represent something pretty to look at, and that just doesn't sum me up.
    I think I most want a picture evoking curiosity. I tried several Leo paintings and drawings, but I either couldn't get a decent frame or his special touch was totally lost after sizing down.
    Here are two images of a Dou that I've always liked. I would use the girl reading at the table by candlelight. I think I like the darker version.
    http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=1462
    http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=13831
    Or
    http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=1465
    I would use the hand over the candle.
    I like several of Rembrandt's self-portraits, but I guess the male thing doesn't really work. Maybe a part of these:
    http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=12802
    http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=3847
    I love her expression and such, but I'm not sure how having part of a portrait would work. And none of the parts I want are square. Whatever, I'll play around with it for a while.

17. Aug 10, 2005 #16

JamesU

Gold Member

Everyone's going to become a premium member but me... :cry:

18. Aug 10, 2005 #17
    This last Vermeer is the best.

As for none of the parts being "square," you're supposed to take the images to photoshop and crop them as you will.

19. Aug 10, 2005 #18
    This would be hilarious if you could make it into an avatar somehow.

"Presidential inspection"

[​IMG]

20. Aug 10, 2005 #19
    What?

I couldn't resist

Attached Files:

21. Aug 10, 2005 #20
    I always thought of a small bottle of rose water that was somehow honest. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?