1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I seriously need help in this functions question! Chop chop!

1. Mar 3, 2005 #1
    hey guys, I'm new here but whatever, who cares.
    ANYWAYS, I have this math question on hybrid functions.
    I desperately need help for this cause I'll be having an important test next week.
    HELP!!

OK anyways, in hybrid function,
    example:

this question asked me to form the function by giving me a hybrid functions graph.
    So i managed to find f(x) but I had a problem understanding the domains.

2x-1 , x<0
    f(x)= 3x²-2x , 0x≤2
    4 , x>2​
    ok my question is.. for the domain, how do you know if you put ≤ instead of < ? HOw come it is not x0 and 0<x≤2 instead?

PS: well if you don't really know how to explain, or don't really understand what im trying to ask, then, it'll be helpful if you could provide me a link to a website I can go to for help on hybrid functions.

Thanks!!!!! (=

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2005 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At x=0, the expression 2x-1 has value -1.
    At x=0, the expression 3x^2 - 2x has value 0.

For the composite function, you need to decide which value you want at x=0. It seems from above that you have chosen the function to have the value 0 at x=0.

See?

By the way, on a graph, where there is a discontinuity it is usual to put a closed or open dot to indicate the value at the discontinuity. So, for the function above, the 2x-1 line would have an open dot at the point (0,-1), while the 3x^2 - 2x curve would have a closed dot or circle at the point (0,0).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  4. Mar 3, 2005 #3
    ok if u say that, this question comes from my textbook

Sketch the graph of the function

-2x-2 ,x<0
    f(x)= x-2 , 0≤x<2
    3x-6 , x≥2

how come at x=0, both expressions -2x-2 and x-2 has the same value at -2?

5. Mar 3, 2005 #4

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since in that case the function is continuous at x=0, you could just as easily write:

-2x-2 ,x0
    f(x)= x-2 , 0≤x<2
    3x-6 , x≥2

or even

-2x-2 ,x0
    f(x)= x-2 , 0<x<2
    3x-6 , x≥2

It would make no difference in this case.

6. Mar 3, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can ask the same question for the point x=2...:wink:It means that the function is continuous in the 2 points...I don't know if you know what that means,but it's useful to know that it's not essential for this problem...So basically,u have to draw 3 lines and that's it.Can u do that...?

Daniel.

7. Mar 3, 2005 #6

erm, how did u know that
    For the composite function, you need to decide which value you want at x=0. It seems from above that you have chosen the function to have the value 0 at x=0.

8. Mar 3, 2005 #7
    dextercioby: I seriously have zilch idea on what you're trying to say???

9. Mar 3, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perfect,at least can u draw tha graph...?

Daniel.

10. Mar 3, 2005 #9
    I can but it's not the drawing of the graph that im having a problem with, it's the... detestable signs. ARGHH!!

11. Mar 3, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean signs...?It's just + and -...There's nothing complicated about it.Basically u'll have to plot the function on each interval.

Daniel.

12. Mar 3, 2005 #11

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

lilsheltie:

Let me give you a simple example.

Suppose we have

[itex]f(x) = 3,\qquad x \geq 1[/itex]
    [itex]f(x) = 7, \qquad x < 1[/itex]

What is the value of f(x) at x=1? Well, which interval contains x=1? Obviously, the interval [itex]x < 1[/itex] doesn't include x=1, so that part of the function definition doesn't apply. On the other hand, the other part of the function does include x=1. Therefore, for this function f(1) = 3, and f(1) definitely doesn't equal 7.

Now compare the function in your original question, at the point x=0. Which interval contains x=0?

13. Mar 4, 2005 #12

ok. I didn't know that.

14. Mar 4, 2005 #13
    Huh? Ok i've given you quite a few examples so im pretty much confused.
    Anyways, I kinda get the picture now! (=

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook