I should have seen death today

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, a conversation about a car accident and the lack of bystander assistance ended with a humorous exchange between members of the forum. One member shared their experience of coming to the aid of car accident victims while others expressed their gratitude for individuals who are willing to help in such situations. The conversation also touched on the topic of seat belts and the importance of wearing them while driving.
tribdog
I was standing in the middle of an intersection today. 50mph on one road, stop signs on the the other. I knealt down to pry a cover off of a survey monument when all of a sudden WHAM a cement truck doing about 70 slammed into a little old lady who ran the stop sign. It spun her car around and damn near ripped it in half. I ran over expecting to see mangled bodies, but luckily the two women in the car were alive, bloody and dazed, but alive. Seat belts are amazing.
Here's my gripe. I was the only person to go to their aid. Lots of people called 911, but no one helped. Luckily all I had to do was talk to them until the police arrived, but it could have been worse. it looked worse. I hate giving first aid, hate it hate it hate it. I had to do CPR once and I hope I never have to do it again. I usually know what to do, but the stakes are too damn high.

Physics news on Phys.org
I must say I wish there were more people like you in this world
I say thank you for all the people who don't

Tom McCurdy said:
LOL, that's the first time I've EVER heard someone say there should be more of me. Stick around, you'll change your tune.

Tom, I don't think the world could survive a second tribdog. But I share Tom's sentiment, this world is too full of people too afraid or too busy to get involved.

I think deep inside tribdog is a sweetie. :smile:

I think tribdog deep inside would be sweet too.

That was funny.

You never stop, do you ? :rofl:

lol, I've been gone for months, back for a day and I'm already too much.

You do realize that Evo's gotten poweful since you last left.

Once, when Evo was mad at someone for crossing the line one time too many, she said this :

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know that my name is Evo when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

So...keep it up ! :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
You do realize that Evo's gotten poweful since you last left.

Once, when Evo was mad at someone for crossing the line one time too many, she said this :

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know that my name is Evo when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

So...keep it up ! :biggrin:
OMG! :rofl: :rofl: I just spit all over my laptop. :grumpy: :biggrin:

I'm going to have to remember to avoid drinking beverages when Tribdog and Gokul get together in the same thread! :rofl:

Evo said:
OMG! :rofl: :rofl: I just spit all over my laptop. :grumpy: :biggrin:
Just remember to "get into character" next time.

tribdog said:
I was standing in the middle of an intersection today. 50mph on one road, stop signs on the the other. I knealt down to pry a cover off of a survey monument when all of a sudden WHAM a cement truck doing about 70 slammed into a little old lady who ran the stop sign. It spun her car around and damn near ripped it in half. I ran over expecting to see mangled bodies, but luckily the two women in the car were alive, bloody and dazed, but alive. Seat belts are amazing.
Here's my gripe. I was the only person to go to their aid. Lots of people called 911, but no one helped. Luckily all I had to do was talk to them until the police arrived, but it could have been worse. it looked worse. I hate giving first aid, hate it hate it hate it. I had to do CPR once and I hope I never have to do it again. I usually know what to do, but the stakes are too damn high.
Was taken out in a head on collision on a city street by an 87 year old man. We were traveling at 35mph when HE speeded up...WHAM right dead center into my just paid off Eddie Bauer Bronco II...figures... He wasn't wearing his seat belt...survived but ended up in a nursing home with cardiac contusions and a REVOKED NV driver's license. I had four people come to my aid and his...one carried a fire extinguisher. The temp was already 101 degrees at 11AM... after I pulled myself OFF the inside of the front windshield (I DID have on my harness but it didn't stop the forward motion of my upper body and it was pre airbags (ca 1987 I believe)) WE carefully moved the old geiser and rolled down his windows so he wouldn't die from the heat...it's a miracle none of were sued later for helping!...anyway, people helped, it was not a problem in my accident. I got away with a slight whiplash that finally disappeared completely after 10 years. Don't you think the world would be just peachy if all attorneys and politicians flew off to some uncharted planet. Then MAYBE more people would attempt to help in ALL accidents and crises.

Last edited:
When I grew up in NJ, they had good samaritan laws. Basically, you couldn't be sued for trying to help as long as you did the best you could. The downside was that as soon as you had any sort of training and supposedly KNEW what to do, then you could be held responsible if you screwed up! I don't think it helped much. I was in a car accident and nobody even checked if I or the other driver were okay before they started beeping their horns at us for blocking the road! Fortunately, everyone was okay...the cars were another story, but not even a bruise on us (that darned car I owned was jinxed though...it would even get in accidents without me...got hit in parking lots 3 times! Always the same side too, and insurance would only paint half the car...I wanted someone to hit the other side to repaint the rest of it to match!)

Moonbear said:
When I grew up in NJ, they had good samaritan laws. Basically, you couldn't be sued for trying to help as long as you did the best you could. The downside was that as soon as you had any sort of training and supposedly KNEW what to do, then you could be held responsible if you screwed up! I don't think it helped much. I was in a car accident and nobody even checked if I or the other driver were okay before they started beeping their horns at us for blocking the road! Fortunately, everyone was okay...the cars were another story, but not even a bruise on us (that darned car I owned was jinxed though...it would even get in accidents without me...got hit in parking lots 3 times! Always the same side too, and insurance would only paint half the car...I wanted someone to hit the other side to repaint the rest of it to match!)

Imagine this one: My car was totalled while parked at a gas station pump! Another old fool [he was born in 1887, no lie] panicked when he put his car in reverse instead of drive...hit the accelerator instead of the brake pedal... WHAMO! That old ***ker totalled my cherry 1961 Ford Fairlane HT... old fart.

Last edited:
tribdog said:

Glad to see you alive and kicking tribdog. :smile:

As a kid I was a scout and a lifeguard, so I had all of the CPR and first aid courses and such. One day while I was riding the bus to the beach and progressing through some of the least appealing areas of downtown Long Beach, a bad street drunk got on the bus and sat almost directly across the aisle from me. A couple of blocks down the road he fell over and passed out in the aisle. I sat for a moment but quickly realized that I was alone in this. The driver was actually trying to flag down a cop that he had seen across the street, but at first no one was doing anything at all! A quick check and I realized next that this person was no longer breathing. His heart was beating, and just as I was thinking, "oh God, this is going to be ugly", and as I prepared to give him mouth to mouth, he began to vomit right in my face. Luckily he missed me. I rolled him over and he started to breath, thank God!

I was working at a grocery store and had just learned cpr in health class. Some guy out front had a heart attack and ran out and gave him cpr. He threw up in my mouth, but he lived. I've got a little plaque somewhere the AHA/Red Cross Young Lifesavers Award.

Tom McCurdy said:

I agree with this.

A friend of mine once tried to help someone ho was trapped in a burning car. He wasn't able to get him out, even though he went in several times (he was trapped under the steering wheel). My friend still feels guilty about not being able to help, but I told him at least you tried. There are a lot of people that would not have even tried.

Thanks for being a person who at least tries to help.

I am terrified of coming up to a burning car and having to grab the red hot door handle to get someone out. You have to do it, but it would be so painful.

tribdog said:
I am terrified of coming up to a burning car and having to grab the red hot door handle to get someone out. You have to do it, but it would be so painful.

I would hope that I could do it if I had to. My friend was very brave in my opinion.

What does it mean to say "I should have seen death today"?

"I should have seen death today" is a common phrase used to express a feeling of narrowly avoiding a dangerous or life-threatening situation. It can also refer to feeling grateful for surviving a situation that could have been deadly.

Why do people say "I should have seen death today"?

People often use this phrase as a way of reflecting on a close call or a near-death experience. It can also be used as a way to express shock or disbelief at having survived a potentially deadly situation.

Is "I should have seen death today" a scientific concept?

No, "I should have seen death today" is not a scientific concept. It is a colloquial phrase used in everyday language to express a feeling or experience.

Can saying "I should have seen death today" have any psychological effects?

There is no evidence to suggest that saying "I should have seen death today" can have any psychological effects. However, if the phrase is used frequently or in a negative context, it could potentially contribute to feelings of anxiety or fear.

Are there any cultural or historical meanings associated with "I should have seen death today"?

There are no specific cultural or historical meanings associated with this phrase. However, the concept of surviving a close call or a near-death experience has been present in many cultures and has been depicted in various forms of art and literature throughout history.