Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I spend too much time with you guys

1. Sep 16, 2005 #1
    Okay, this is what happened. I'm having an argument with my 2 friends Tyra and Matt. We always argue about all sorts of things, and it's fun. But today was weird. Today we were arguing about a certain aspect of linguistics (a common subject between me and matt) and I decide to prove matt wrong using Set Theory.

Now, remember people, I failed grade 11 math. Math may come naturally to you lot because your all sciency (and I was too when I joined - that's changed). But I'm not mathematically inclined, I don't usually argue using mathematics, I tend to use reasoning and rhetoric.

I'm spending far too much time with you lot. You're turning me into a sciency person. :mad: :grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can expect to start growing a pocket protector any time now.

4. Sep 16, 2005 #3
    protector? Do you mean protractor or something?

5. Sep 16, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Its a genetic trait that most scientists have. It spreads like a cancer after infecting your shirt.

6. Sep 16, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

You like linguistics?! :cool: What were you talking about?

7. Sep 16, 2005 #6
    apparently linguistics is a lot like math... at least according to the kids in math club with me. when i got there this week they were having some discussion about it. so...

8. Sep 16, 2005 #7
    The connection is logic. Math is based on logical functions. Linguistics is based on logic and reasoning as well.

9. Sep 16, 2005 #8
    Yeah. Linguistics is the best. :cool:
    We were discussing a rather trivial matter actually. The part I used set theory for was to prove the definition of 'red' was singular (not even kidding).

10. Sep 16, 2005 #9

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Yeah, there are areas of linguistics that are quite math-intensive (mathematical linguistics, for one :rolleyes:). The tie to logic is even more basic - logic is itself a language. :smile:
    Well, next time you want to talk about linguistics, just pop in Social Sciences. :biggrin:

11. Sep 16, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.ieee.org/organizations/history_center/pocketprotector.html

Your new identity:
    http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery...&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc03b&linktext=nerd

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?