1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I spend too much time with you guys

1. Sep 16, 2005 #1
    Okay, this is what happened. I'm having an argument with my 2 friends Tyra and Matt. We always argue about all sorts of things, and it's fun. But today was weird. Today we were arguing about a certain aspect of linguistics (a common subject between me and matt) and I decide to prove matt wrong using Set Theory.

Now, remember people, I failed grade 11 math. Math may come naturally to you lot because your all sciency (and I was too when I joined - that's changed). But I'm not mathematically inclined, I don't usually argue using mathematics, I tend to use reasoning and rhetoric.

I'm spending far too much time with you lot. You're turning me into a sciency person. :mad: :grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can expect to start growing a pocket protector any time now.

4. Sep 16, 2005 #3
    protector? Do you mean protractor or something?

5. Sep 16, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Its a genetic trait that most scientists have. It spreads like a cancer after infecting your shirt.

6. Sep 16, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

You like linguistics?! :cool: What were you talking about?

7. Sep 16, 2005 #6
    apparently linguistics is a lot like math... at least according to the kids in math club with me. when i got there this week they were having some discussion about it. so...

8. Sep 16, 2005 #7
    The connection is logic. Math is based on logical functions. Linguistics is based on logic and reasoning as well.

9. Sep 16, 2005 #8
    Yeah. Linguistics is the best. :cool:
    We were discussing a rather trivial matter actually. The part I used set theory for was to prove the definition of 'red' was singular (not even kidding).

10. Sep 16, 2005 #9

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Yeah, there are areas of linguistics that are quite math-intensive (mathematical linguistics, for one :rolleyes:). The tie to logic is even more basic - logic is itself a language. :smile:
    Well, next time you want to talk about linguistics, just pop in Social Sciences. :biggrin:

11. Sep 16, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.ieee.org/organizations/history_center/pocketprotector.html

Your new identity:
    http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery...&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc03b&linktext=nerd

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?