Is Publishing a Discovery on arXiv.org Enough to Establish Priority?

• Thread starter AlexHT
  • Start date
You will also need to have some experimental proof to back up your theory.In summary, the speaker has made a discovery and wants to publish it quickly on a site like arXiv before other groups can publish similar ideas. They plan on conducting experiments to support their theory in the future. The question is whether publishing on arXiv would be a mistake and if it would make them the first to come up with the idea. The response is that getting published on arXiv first would bring recognition, but experimental proof is also necessary.
AlexHT
Hi,

I think I finaly made a discovery. I would like to publish it somewhere fast because I know a lot of other groups are working on the same ideas. I just want to send it fast before its too late - www.arxiv.org maybe? Its only theoretical at the moment but I plan on trying it experimentaly.

So what do you guys think about www.arxiv.org[/url], would I be making a mistake if I send my paper there but not anywhere else until I can do it experimentally and then send it to physical review? Would I be considered the first one to came up with the idea if its in [url]www.arxiv.org?[/URL]

Whats are your opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you can get it published on arXiv before anyone else gets it anywhere, you will get the recognition you want.

Congratulations on your discovery! That is an exciting accomplishment. As for publishing your discovery, I would recommend sending it to arXiv as it is a reputable platform for sharing theoretical research. However, it is important to also consider submitting it to other journals or conferences for peer review and potential publication. This will help validate your findings and establish your contribution to the field. Whether you are considered the first to come up with the idea will ultimately depend on the evidence and impact of your discovery, rather than just the platform it is published on. Best of luck with your future experiments and publications.

What is "I think I finally made one"?

"I think I finally made one" is a phrase commonly used by scientists to express the success of their experiments or research.

What does it mean when a scientist says "I think I finally made one"?

When a scientist says "I think I finally made one," it means that they have successfully achieved their intended outcome or made a breakthrough in their research.

Why do scientists use the phrase "I think I finally made one"?

Scientists use the phrase "I think I finally made one" as a way to share their excitement and satisfaction with their peers and colleagues when they have achieved a significant milestone in their work.

What kinds of things do scientists refer to when they say "I think I finally made one"?

Scientists may use the phrase "I think I finally made one" to refer to a variety of accomplishments, such as successfully replicating an experiment, discovering a new phenomenon, or developing a new theory.

Is saying "I think I finally made one" a common expression among scientists?

Yes, saying "I think I finally made one" is a common expression among scientists as it is a simple and concise way to convey their achievements to their peers and colleagues in the scientific community.