I think I found a strain gauge

In summary, the conversation discusses the disassembly of an electronic scale and the identification of its components. The speaker mentions removing a piece which is believed to be a strain gauge, and observes that pressing on it causes a change in the reading on the liquid crystal display. They also mention using a multimeter to measure the resistance, and note that it has 3 wires - a red wire, a black wire, and a white wire. The purpose of the white wire is questioned.
David lopez
I disassembled an electronic scale. I removed a piece from the corner. I think it is an strain gauge. When I Press on it a reading appears on The liquid crystal display. It might Say 9.6 or 10.8 or 11.5. I used a multimeter to measure it resistance. It 992 ohms. Unless I press on it. Then its 994 ohms or 995 ohms Or 998 ohms. Sometimes a little More than 1000 ohms. It has 3 wires What is the white wire for. It has a Red wire. It has a black wire. It has A white wire.

<mentor reformat>

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is there a question in there somewhere? Also, why do your posts always seem to be just a few words per line? I don't see that with any other poster so I'm wondering what device/app you are using that seems to have that limitation (or do you just prefer to post that way?)

This is a poor question. Please provide some sort of graphic support for your description. A picture of the object will help. If the level of information does not improve we will have to close the thread. As is, it is very close to useless.

Likes jim hardy

What is a strain gauge?

A strain gauge is a device used to measure the strain or deformation of an object. It typically consists of a thin wire or foil attached to a backing material and is designed to change its electrical resistance in response to mechanical stress.

How does a strain gauge work?

A strain gauge works by converting mechanical deformation into an electrical signal. When the object that the strain gauge is attached to is deformed, the strain gauge will also deform, causing a change in its electrical resistance. This change in resistance can be measured and used to calculate the strain or deformation of the object.

What are the applications of strain gauges?

Strain gauges are commonly used in various industries and fields, including engineering, construction, aerospace, and automotive. They are used to measure and monitor stress and strain in structures, materials, and components, and can help in detecting potential failures or damages.

How do I know if I have found a strain gauge?

If you have found a small, thin device with a wire or foil attached to it, and it is labeled with a resistance value, it is likely a strain gauge. You can also test it by applying a small amount of force and measuring the change in resistance with a multimeter.

Can I use a strain gauge for my project or experiment?

Yes, you can use a strain gauge for various projects and experiments that involve measuring stress or strain. However, it is important to properly calibrate and install the strain gauge to ensure accurate measurements. It is also recommended to consult a professional or do thorough research before using a strain gauge for critical applications.