Factoring a Quadratic Expression

In summary, the Quadratic equation can be used to find the roots of a equation. If the roots are a and b, then the quadratic factors as (x-a)(x-b).
aricho
sorry this is such a stupid question...but i have been sitting her for half an hour trying to solve it.

what does

a^2-4a-12

factorise to?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're ever absolutely stuck on a factorization problem, you can use the quadratic equation to find the roots. Then, suppose the roots are a and b. The equation will factor to (x-a)(x-b). In this case, that might not be necessary. Think: You need two numbers that multiply to give you -12 and add to give you -4. List the pairs of integers that you could multiply to get -12. Which of these add to give -4?

its -6 and 2 isn't it?

gosh I'm a fool sometimes :rofl:

That's it.

arrrrrrgggghhhhhh

how about x^2-6x-9

In this case the answer comes out irrational. Make sure you copied it right. Otherwise use the quadratic formula.

If you are every really, really stuck on a (quadratic) factoring problem you can do as Leonhard Euler said: solve the equation using the quadratic formula. If the roots are a and b, then the quadratic factors as (x-a)(x-b).

For example, to solve a2-4a-12= 0, a=
[tex]\frac{4\pm\sqrt{16-4(1)(-12)}}{2}= \frac{4\pm\sqrt{64}}{2}= \frac{4\pm8}{2}[/tex] so that a= (4+8)/2= 6 and a= (4-8)/2= -2. The factors are (a-6)(a-(-2))= (a-6)(a+2).

More importantly, x2-6x-9 does not have rational factors (are you sure this wasn't x2- 6x+ 9?) but can be factored if we solve the equation
x2- 6x+ 9= 0.

I would be inclined to "complete the square": x2- 6x= 9 and we complete the square on the left by adding (-6/2)2= (-3)2= 9 (no surprize there!). x2- 6x+ 9= (x- 3)2= 9+ 9= 18= 2*9.
[tex]x-3= \pm\3\sqrt{2}[/tex]
so the solutions are [tex]x= 3- 3\sqrt{2}[/tex] and [tex]x= 3+ 3\sqrt{2}[/tex]
[tex]x^2-6x-9= (x-3+3\sqrt{2})(x-3-3\sqrt{2})[/tex].

You could also get that factorization by completing the square originally:
[tex]x^2- 6x- 9= x^2- 6x+ (9-9)- 9= x^2- 6x+ 9- 18= (x-3)^2- 18[/tex]
Now factor as the difference of two squares:
[tex]x^2-6x-9= (x-3)^2-18= ((x-3)+\sqrt{18})((x-3)-\sqrt{18})[/tex]
[tex]= (x-3+3\sqrt{2})(x-3-3\sqrt{3})[/tex]

I'm glad no one did the problem for him... :rolleyes:

What are the common symptoms of losing one's brain?

The most common symptoms of losing one's brain include forgetfulness, difficulty concentrating, confusion, and disorientation. Other symptoms may include difficulty with speech, vision, or coordination.

Can losing one's brain be reversed?

It depends on the cause of the brain loss. In some cases, such as with dementia or Alzheimer's disease, the brain damage is irreversible. However, in cases of brain injury or trauma, there may be ways to rehabilitate or repair the brain.

What should I do if I think I have lost my brain?

If you are experiencing symptoms of brain loss, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. A doctor can properly diagnose the cause and provide appropriate treatment. Do not delay in seeking help, as early intervention can often lead to better outcomes.

Are there any ways to prevent losing one's brain?

There are certain lifestyle habits that can help maintain brain health, such as regular exercise, a balanced diet, and mental stimulation. Additionally, wearing protective gear during activities that may result in head injuries can also help prevent brain loss.

Is losing one's brain a normal part of aging?

No, losing one's brain is not a normal part of aging. While some cognitive decline may occur as we age, significant brain loss is not a typical or inevitable part of the aging process. If you are experiencing symptoms of brain loss, it is important to seek medical attention to determine the cause.