1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I think I'm lost about my future

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1

Nugso

Gold Member

Hello everyone. Before I start asking my question, I'd like to, if I may, talk about myself. I'm currently studying Aeronautical/Aerospace engineering and the following year will be my third year(including undergraduate preparotry). But, I don't really want to be an engineer, but a mathemetician or partical or theoretical physics. However, in the country I'm living(Turkey), it's kind of impossible to study those subjects. "Good students" are either in medicine or in engineering. So after being succesful on the university exams( I hope I'm not looking like a smart ars* by saying this) I decided to be an engineer knowing I do really like Maths and Physics and hate biology. But engineering isn't, I think, for me. I know some of you might say why don't you just change your subject, but as I've said before, I cannot. At least not in Turkey. I'm now thinking of getting as good grades as I can and then graduate. Afterwards doing my graduate in the USA or the UK etc on physics or maths hence I'll probably be a physicst or mathematician. What do you really suggest? How do I really know I do want to be a physicst or mathematician? ( Because I'm sort of tickle, but maths and physics, especially maths has always been my favorite subject since I was like 5)

Thanks for listening to me and sorry for my English.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2
    I don't know about physics, but mathematics is all about proofs. Do you like proving theorems, understanding why they are valid? Good arguments? Rigor?

BiP

4. Jun 13, 2013 #3

Nugso

Gold Member

Thanks for the reply BiP. Yes, I think I do. I think I like almost everything in mathematics.

5. Jun 13, 2013 #4
    Not everybody who gets a PhD in pure science or mathematics has an easy time being able to DO something with it. I suggest following your heart, especially if you are dedicated, but just make sure you know what you're getting in to!

6. Jun 13, 2013 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By mathematician or particle physicist, do you mean a professor? Those positions are extremely hard to get.

You should look at this thread if you are really considering going into physics after engineering:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

It certainly can be done but you'd be wise to read what ZapperZ says there.

I really wish you the best of luck, Nugso.

7. Jun 14, 2013 #6

Nugso

Gold Member

Thank your for the replies ilmareofthemai and lisab. I know they're very hard to get and I'll have hard time getting it/them. But it is still better than getting something you don't really like easily. Thanks for the link by the way. It was really of help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook