Find the acceleration of the disk and the force of friction

In summary, in this problem, a disk is being pulled by a string on an incline. The tension in the string is 20 Newtons, the incline is at 37 degrees, and the disk has a radius of 18 cm and a mass of 9.3 kg. To find the acceleration of the disk and the force of friction on it, we can use the equation T=I(alpha) and draw a free body diagram of the disk. By resolving the components of forces along the incline and normal to the incline, considering equilibrium of forces and moments, and using the mass moment of inertia of the disk, we can set up a system of 3 equations to solve for the unknowns of alpha,
renee1234

Homework Statement

In the figure, a string is used to pull a disk of radius 18 cm and mass 9.3 kg. If the incline is 37° and the tension in the string is 20 Newtons find the acceleration of the disk and the force of friction on it.

Homework Equations

T=I(alpha)

The Attempt at a Solution

T=I(alpha) --> Rmg=(1/2mR^2+mR^2)(alpha)
I moved the pivot to the contact point of the ramp.
Alpha= 2/3 g/r
a=2/3g
this can't be right though because I didn't figure the tension into it.
I'm lost. please help

[PLAIN]http://www.usi.edu/science/physics/pickett/205/16p3f1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the free body diagram of the disk. Resolve the components of forces along the incline (x axis) and normal to the incline (y axis). Consider equilibrium of forces along x and y
and moments about the center of disk.

The unknowns are alpha (angular acceleration), F(frictional force) , N (normal force)
and you have 3 equations.

The mass moment of inertia of disk I is = m * r^2/2

Last edited:

1. What is acceleration and how is it related to the disk?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In the context of the disk, it refers to how quickly the disk's speed is changing. The acceleration of the disk is directly related to the force acting on it, in this case, the force of friction.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of the disk?

The acceleration of the disk can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is the net force acting on the disk, and m is the mass of the disk. This formula applies to any object, including the disk, as long as the mass remains constant.

3. What factors affect the force of friction on the disk?

The force of friction on the disk is affected by several factors, including the surface materials of the disk and the surface it is moving on, the weight of the disk, and the speed and direction of its motion. The force of friction is also dependent on the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces in contact.

4. How can the force of friction be determined experimentally?

The force of friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the acceleration of the disk and using the formula F = ma, where F is the force of friction, m is the mass of the disk, and a is the calculated acceleration. The force can also be measured using a spring scale or a dynamometer by pulling the disk at a constant speed and recording the force required to keep it moving.

5. How does the force of friction affect the motion of the disk?

The force of friction acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the disk, causing it to slow down or come to a stop. This is because the force of friction acts to oppose the motion of the disk, making it harder for the disk to move. The stronger the force of friction, the less the disk will accelerate and the slower it will move.