Did Jesus teach his followers to sin by prioritizing him over their parents?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary: Originally posted by Saint In summary, Jesus taught "let the dead bury the dead!" Some chinese christians quote this to refuse paying respect to dead people in funeral.
Mega, if you wish, I would interpret any part of the bible in which I have questioned it's meaning into existence. Only that which I understand otherwise I will say I do not know or this is what I believe which is separtate from what I do know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this: Take the name Jesus and count the letters of the alphabet. j would be 10, e is 5, s is 19 etc. Now multiply each of the numbers by 9 and then add them together and see what you get.

j=10 x 9 =90
e=5 x 9 = 45
s=19 x 9 =171
u=21 x 9 =189
s=19 x 9 =171
Then add the numbers.

Also try cross, gospel, lucifer, satan's, messiah

I checked every word in the Bible from cover to cover and the list of words that add the same as jesus is rather short.

Last edited:
but for this to have some relevance shouldn't you use the spelling of Jesus in the hebrew alphabet?

I checked every word in the Bible from cover to cover and the list of words that add the same as jesus is rather short.

I'd have to agree with Guybrush on that, and also ask a question.

Since jesus's mathematical value for his name is 666. Now how exactly you came up with the multiply by 9 and add the sums, well, doesn't sound like any scriptural support to back that up.

Anyhow, since jesus's name = 666 by your method, then would that not make christ the antichrist? Now there's a paradox for ya.

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
but for this to have some relevance shouldn't you use the spelling of Jesus in the hebrew alphabet?
Does it have any relevance when people pray to Jesus in english?

Originally posted by megashawn
I'd have to agree with Guybrush on that, and also ask a question.

Since jesus's mathematical value for his name is 666. Now how exactly you came up with the multiply by 9 and add the sums, well, doesn't sound like any scriptural support to back that up.

Anyhow, since jesus's name = 666 by your method, then would that not make christ the antichrist? Now there's a paradox for ya.

I found it on a christian message board that had a calculator where you could "calculate the number of the beast". They took the website down when someone discovered that the name Jesus added up to 666.

How do we know if Jesus is the real messiah or not? He could be standing in the way of the real messiah. (anti messiah)

The Bible says that after the temple is rebuilt then shall messiah come. It is not likely to be rebuilt soon because most christians are taught that when the temple is rebuilt then the antichrist will come. So they don't support the rebuilding of the temple. The Old Testament teaches that when the temple is rebuilt the messiah will come. The New Testament teaches the antichrist will come.

Originally posted by Pocketwatch
Does it have any relevance when people pray to Jesus in english?

well, you do have a point here, God is supposed to be Universal. The next question would be then: shouldn't your method yield the same result in all the languages?
For instance in romanian Jesus is spelled "Isus", and that sums up to:
i=9 x 9 =81
s=19 x 9 =171
u=21 x 9 =189
s=19 x 9 =171
----------------

I found it on a christian message board that had a calculator where you could "calculate the number of the beast". They took the website down when someone discovered that the name Jesus added up to 666.
ROFL...

speaking of 666, here's some interesting stuff
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BeastNumber.html

Last edited:

How do we know if Jesus is the real messiah or not? He could be standing in the way of the real messiah. (anti messiah)
Actually this does make sense for we're speaking about "whose version" of Christianity this applies to, in which case the number 666 applies to The Reformation, which essentially "took root" in Great Britain.

Whereas here, the number 666 applies to the second of three degrees of spirituality that exists in the spiritual world. The first corresponding to the Roman Catholic Church (hence the number 333), which doesn't even qualify as a true religion because it's only deemed "natural"; the second corresponding to the Reformation (hence the number 666/667), which speaks of faith in Jesus Christ, but not of the works, in which case it doesn't qualify as the "True Church" either, yet it's still considered "spiritual" (to the degree that faith is combined with works). Whereas the third degree (hence the number 999/1000) speaks of the Christian Church which very few know about, because by combining faith with works, and going about one's own business, one rarely receives the notoriety, which is the case with the third or "Celestial Church."

"And to the angel of the church in Pergamos [the third church in Revelation] write ... To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it." (Revelation 2:12-17).

Another name that adds up to 666 by this method is Joshua. The Jews call Jesus Yehoshua which in English means Joshua.

Check out this link.
http://religioustolerance.org/reconstr.htm

The Christion Reconstructionists advocate this:

All religions other than Christianity would be suppressed. Nonconforming Evangelical, main line and liberal Christian institutions would no longer be allowed to function. Society would revert to the laws and punishments of the Hebrew Scriptures. Any person who advocated or practiced other religious beliefs would be tried for idolatry and exterminated. Blasphemy, adultery and homosexual behavior would be criminalized; those found guilty would be executed.

Last edited:

All religions other than Christianity would be suppressed. Nonconforming Evangelical, main line and liberal Christian institutions would no longer be allowed to function. Society would revert to the laws and punishments of the Hebrew Scriptures. Any person who advocated or practiced other religious beliefs would be tried for idolatry and exterminated. Blasphemy, adultery and homosexual behavior would be criminalized; those found guilty would be executed.

sounds like a bunch of party people...

Another name that adds up to 666 by this method is Joshua. The Jews call Jesus Yehoshua which in English means Joshua.

Check out this link.
http://religioustolerance.org/reconstr.htm

Yes, and it seems to be plainly stated right here ...

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. (Revelation 13:16-18).

Well fella's, looks like we've blown the lid off this whole bible conspiracy thing. Jesus is the anti christ.

I'm still wondering what reason a person decided to give numerical value to jesus's name, and multiply by 9.

Is there no biblical backing for this? You must admit the whole thing is rather rediculous.

Yet another reversal to Pascal. If this is what they advocate, I can't wait to get to hell to get me as far away from these ppl as possible.

Originally posted by Iacchus32
Yes, and it seems to be plainly stated right here ...
I thought that referred to bar codes!

Well fella's, looks like we've blown the lid off this whole bible conspiracy thing. Jesus is the anti christ.
And yet when Jesus says, "You profess my name on your lips but your hearts are far from me," suggests anything but the "true Jesus," hence the anti-Jesus, the anti-Christ, which was none other than The Reformation, and continues unto the so-called Christian Church of today.

Also, with respect to the deadly wound suffered by the "beast out of the sea" in Revelation 13, "And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast" (verse 3), this is supposed to signify that faith in Jesus Christ alone saves -- but, without the works "of charity" -- which was one of the primary docrinals established by The Reformation.

Last edited:
Isaiah|14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! Isaiah|14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: Isaiah|14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Isaiah|14:15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. Isaiah|14:16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the Earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms; Isaiah|14:17 That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners? Isaiah|14:18 All the kings of the nations, even all of them, lie in glory, every one in his own house. Isaiah|14:19 But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch, and as the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit; as a carcase trodden under feet. Isaiah|14:20 Thou shalt not be joined with them in burial, because thou hast destroyed thy land, and slain thy people: the seed of evildoers shall never be renowned.

Isaiah|14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!

Revelation|22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Isaiah|14:19 But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch

Matthew|28:2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. Matthew|28:6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

Isaiah|14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God:
Isaiah|14:15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

Ephesians|4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

Isaiah|14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
John|10:30 I and my Father are one.

Isaiah|14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
Revelation|1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the Earth shall wail because of him.

I'm still wondering what reason a person decided to give numerical value to jesus's name, and multiply by 9.

wel they are some spooky people on this planet. perhaps they were afraid of multiplying with 0 since that would make everything the same...

what are you trying to say pocketwatch?

Last edited:
Nothing really.
Just throwing in some bible verses. I do not believe Jesus ever really lived. After the O.T. was translated into Greek, the Greeks and Hellenistic Jews invented a new religion to subvert Juaidism. It is called syncretism. A blending of two religions to make another. It was a war strategy that Alexander the Great used to weaken the nations he was warring against.

Nothing really.
Just throwing in some bible verses. I do not believe Jesus ever really lived. After the O.T. was translated into Greek, the Greeks and Hellenistic Jews invented a new religion to subvert Juaidism. It is called syncretism. A blending of two religions to make another. It was a war strategy that Alexander the Great used to weaken the nations he was warring against.
Well, there's no doubt Christianity is a hybrid between Judaism and Greek religion, more specifically the wine-god Dionysus, but does that make it any less valid? Just as Judaism itself has considerably more to do with Zoroastrianism of Persia, than what we now call Judaism. While before that, the ancient Hebrews, prior to their release from Egypt, were probably very much like Egyptians, indeed. And upon their leaving, they turned the whole Egyptian pyramid scene upside-down, to form the star of David, so to speak. (I had always wondered if that's what that meant?)

While even prior to that, the name of the original patriarch, Abraham, is supposed to be derived from Brahma, one of the major gods of India; whereas Sarah (or Sarai), Abraham's wife, is supposed to be derived from Saraisvati, the Brahma's consort. In which case we're speaking of the blending of Brahmanism with possibly the Babylonian.

And, just as we are all "hybrids" in our own right -- in that we all have a mother and a father -- would it be incorrect to assume that such a relationship doesn't exist with religion as well?

Last edited:
Because a rather major statement in the bible is that it is absolute truth, and the god of the bible is the only true god.

Hmm... protestants can argue the complete opposite. The pope is the anti-christ, and the reformation makes the way for jesus by returning religion to the people.

Originally posted by FZ+
Because a rather major statement in the bible is that it is absolute truth, and the god of the bible is the only true god.
All I'm saying is hey, things just don't arise out of nowhere.

Hmm... protestants can argue the complete opposite. The pope is the anti-christ, and the reformation makes the way for jesus by returning religion to the people.
Actually neither one is right, it's just that the Roman Catholics constitute a lower position on the totem pole so to speak. Whereas the third church, which is the highest and only "true church," exists above the two thirds or, the number 666 line.

All I'm saying is hey, things just don't arise out of nowhere.
But as a matter of most theist dogma, they do. God, and the true belief in God is supposed something here from the beginning.

Whereas the third church, which is the highest and only "true church," exists above the two thirds or, the number 666 line.
And the fourth?

Originally posted by FZ+
But as a matter of most theist dogma, they do. God, and the true belief in God is supposed something here from the beginning.
Yes, but how can God arise out of nowhere if He's always existed? All this suggests is that everything which is not singular, arises out of that which is singular, God.

And the fourth?
There are actually only three degrees of enlightenment here. Which I like to compare to the development of radio and television. Where first you have the development of radio, where you can hear but are unable to see (understand), much in the way the Roman Catholics preach to the masses in a foreign tongue (Latin), in which case nobody can really see.

Second you have the development of black and white TV, where in fact everyone can now see and yet, it's still subject to interpretation, because there's no color. In which case it becomes like a free-for-all, much in the way the Protestant Church comes replete with a myriad of denominations.

Third you have the development of color TV, which is comprised of the marriage of truth (back and white) and good (color), thus speaking of that which is complete and fully functional, in which case nothing further needs to be said. Such is the case with the third and only "true church," which goes about its own business and doesn't draw a lot of attention to itself.

Of course if there were to be a fourth degree, it would probably be more like high-definition TV, where the relationship between the third degree (color) and second degree (black and white) are properly understood. :wink:

Last edited:
the forth would be depth, a 3D TV. Where wisdom comes from the melding of Understanding (sound), Truth (B&W) and Good (Colour).

Keep on going, and you have reality, where you are now :wink:

jesus sinning

It would be nice if before any of you guys get to heavy into trying to figure out if Jesus sinned or not you would learn to read the Hebrew and Greek texts and know the culture and etc of which he lived enough to make an educated comment on what he supposedly said. In the English text it reads very differently than the Hebrew and Greek texts. It is very idiomatic Rabbinic Jewish thought and beliefs. If you don't understand them you don't understand Jesus. The book of thomas is a very late bogus rendering of things Jesus supposedly said. By all accounts this was written well over 300 years after Jesus lived. ALL Scholars worth their salt know this.If you really want to know what he said in the Hebrew or Greek I would be happy to tell you. But do you really want to know?

why don't you enlight us then? why wouldn't I want to know? will the Earth crack and Armageddon start if you tell us?

Most of the people here have no time to learn ancient Greek and Hebrew. Why are those texts more true? Were they not copied over and over again during the centuries? Are you saying that the official translation of the Bible made by the church isn't reliable? Can you supply a link to a new translation?

I see as a choice of the son or daughter to be a deciple of jesus. So this would not have been his sin. If anyones the son or daughter.

Jesus sin

sorry it's been a few days, but here goes. the passage is actually found in Luke 14:26, but it is actually a part of a larger teaching explaining to the people present about the nature of God and how to be a part of God' Kingdom both here and after. Jesus asked a question back in Luke 14:3 to try and elicit a response from the "spiritual leaders". It was in fact OK to heal on the sabbath but the Pharisee leaders were not being responsive to the people's needs at the time and Jesus was going to make a point that God cares even if the leaders don't. Back to 14:26. In Hebrew the word translated as "Hate" is sahneh. It is usually translated as hate properly, but sometimes it has the connotation not of hate as we know it but should be read as, "love less". This is what is found in the Hebrew in Deuteronomy 21:15 -if a man has two wives one beloved and the other hated...and Genesis 29:31 -and when the Lord saw that Leah was hated... The way this passage in Luke should be read is as follows. "If a man will come to me without loving his dad, mom, wife and kid, kinfolk and even his own life less than he loves me, he cannot be my student." This passage is about committment to a cause. The reason being is that in Jewish law there are stipulations as to what men could or couldn't do when following a teacher to be his student. This also relates directly to the 1st and 2nd commandments which are "I am YHWH your God and you shall have no other Gods before me." Thus, how can you be a disciple of a Godly man and commit to him if you are worried about all of your relatives and even yourself before being worried about God and what God requires. There is no sin here in what Jesus is saying. He is just relating standard Jewish law and interpretation.

answers for guybrush

Avast ye mate. The reason I asked If you really wanted to know is not facetious. I have many times started to answer questions for people who said they wanted to know but then were upset that so much they thought they knew was "wrong and they were going to have to learm new stuff. They became a little irritated. As far as the Earth opening up and swallowing us, I hope it doesn't, but you never can be too sure about that sort of thing,lol. I know most folks don't have the time to learn Hebrew and Greek just as I don't have time to learn Astrophysics right now. But just as I don't know this topic, I still have to find someone or some organization that makes sense when they speak if I have a question. As far as the Texts go, we were not real sure about the authority of transmission until we found the Dead Sea Scrolls. Most of these texts were in Hebrew and a few in Aramaic and most were written over 150 years before Jesus lived. They are almost identical to the Masoretic text we still use today. Although we know we are missing books spoken of in the OT and there may have been early modifications prior to Ezra, for the most part what we have today in the OT is what Jesus had. We also have many Greek texts that go back to about 100 C.E. or a little earlier. They also for the most part are similar. However, the New Testament was not held to be unchangeable until many years later so there was considerable modifications to the original documents for many years due to the audiences needs. However we have been able to reconstruct much of the originals due to finding earlier copies and finally cross checking them to the Hebrew texts and teachings. I am not saying that everything found in the Bible you read in some other language besides Hebrew or Greek is wrong. I am saying that you may not understand what the text is saying unless you know it or find someone who does. You need to understand that we really don't have as much of a translation as we have a transliteration of the Bible. There is a big difference. There is a group of good scholars in Israel working on a reconstruction of the Hebrew originals behind the New Testament. You can find them at Jerusalemperspective.com. As far as the Old Testament, I think you would be wise to get a copy of "The Torah Anthology". It is a set of commentaries on the Old Testament written by Jews and they include many interpretations for the passages from the most learned men down through the years. The folks at Jerusalem Perspective also know about the OT but they concentrate on it's relationship to the NT. While there are many commentaries, there is not what I would consider a "translation" as such. I am currently working on an understandable translation of the Gospel of John based on a Hebrew text. It is quite different than the English. You can alway ask me something if you want. Roy Blizzard III

Originally posted by RoyBlizzard3rd
Avast ye mate. The reason I asked If you really wanted to know is not facetious. I have many times started to answer questions for people who said they wanted to know but then were upset that so much they thought they knew was "wrong and they were going to have to learm new stuff. They became a little irritated.

man, that makes me upset... and a little irritated...

However, the New Testament as not held to be unchangeable until many years later so there was considerable modifications to the original documents for many years due to the audiences needs.

I guess that this will make a lot of people unhappy and maybe bring you some unfriendly posts. Anyway I'm glad that someone who studies Bible has the courage to recognize that some men are changing the word of God...

I am saying that you may not understand what the text is saying unless you know it or find someone who does. You need to understand that we really don't have as much of a translation as we have a transliteration of the Bible. There is a big difference. There is a group of good scholars in Israel working on a reconstruction of the Hebrew originals behind the New Testament. You can find them at Jerusalemperspective.com.

well I'm ready to accept that I may not understand what the Bible is saying (not to mention the parts that doesn't make sense at all) but my problem is that I'm not ready to accept some Jehova witness or some other "inspired" person other to interpret it for me. I'll check that site, and come back ... more irritated than ever

don't ever take anyones word for the "gospel", go look at it yourself. Good luck to you on your journey! You may be amazed at what you find out there that has been literally "kept" from folks like you and I over the years.RoyB3