Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I think PF might be accidently spreading a virus/spyware

1. Nov 9, 2005 #1
    Something went crazy with my browser, it has opend 80 or so windows that are frozen. Also, it kept saying that it was trying to download a post from PF. (Whatever that means) and when I say download, I mean download. I think it might have been a virus. I think I was able to stop it though. Also, PF was suddenly rerouted to a HW help pay-per-question site. Thought you should now.

P.S. I don't in anyway think PF was to blame

later edit- I was able to open one of the windows later, it opend the thread I was trying to get into, except w/o a backround or border. So it could just be a browser problem.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2005 #2
    hmmm, must be on your end because we're not running anything that could be even remotely regarded as malicious.

4. Nov 9, 2005 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

What browser are you using? Have you tried Firefox?

5. Nov 9, 2005 #4
    Ok, I doubted it was you guys, wasn't sure if sombody slipped somthing in your code.

6. Nov 9, 2005 #5

-Job-

Science Advisor

Cosmo, i think it's much more likely that you just got some spyware into your computer from somewhere else, that explains the browser hijacking.

7. Nov 10, 2005 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

When was the last time you ran a virus and a spyware scanner (like AdAware)?

8. Nov 10, 2005 #7
    cosmo, if it is spyware (try getting spybot [not the small version, but the larger one]) i would suggest dong everything you can to get rid of it. as such spyware CAN and HAS entered into sites (such as forums) and damaged the sites you visit as well as your computer. i used spybot on my computer once and found !!!3,000!!! viruses on my computer! at ONE TIME. my computer had become so slow that it timed itself off before it could even load the startup.

cd

9. Nov 10, 2005 #8

ranger

Gold Member

Non of this would have happen in the first place if you guys were using firefox:biggrin:

10. Nov 10, 2005 #9
    Yeah you should use firefox. I hate to use this argument, but I have not had a virus or spyware since I started using firefox almost two years ago.

11. Nov 10, 2005 #10

ranger

Gold Member

12. Nov 10, 2005 #11
  13. Nov 10, 2005 #12
    Yeah I started using it before 1.0

I think it was called phoenix back then, can't remember if it was 0.6 or 0.8

Actually now that I think about it, it may have been about 1 year and 6 months ago.

14. Nov 10, 2005 #13
    My comp runs a check for spyware everynight and I don't use IE I use MSN, (Not good, not great).

My dad is fanatcial about keeping spyware off so I think my comp is ok.

15. Nov 10, 2005 #14
    There is a difference between MSN and IE? Also, if MSN (the browser) is "Not good, not great" then why do you continue to put up with it?

16. Nov 10, 2005 #15
    ya, theres a differene, the msn one might be verizons.

Cause its standard its pretty good, and not alot of faults, and none of those really bother me that much.

17. Nov 11, 2005 #16
    Have you ever given firefox a real shot?

I have lived with one arm my entire life, so living with one arm is not that bad to me. What?! You have two arms?

18. Nov 11, 2005 #17

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

MSN = IE

MSN is basically a skin for IE.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?