I think PF might be accidently spreading a virus/spyware

• Thread starter Cosmo16
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with the browser opening multiple frozen windows and attempting to download a post from PF, which may have been caused by a virus. It was also mentioned that PF was redirected to a pay-per-question site. The issue may have been a browser problem or caused by spyware, and it was suggested to use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer or MSN. The conversation also briefly touched on the history and features of Firefox.
Cosmo16
Something went crazy with my browser, it has opend 80 or so windows that are frozen. Also, it kept saying that it was trying to download a post from PF. (Whatever that means) and when I say download, I mean download. I think it might have been a virus. I think I was able to stop it though. Also, PF was suddenly rerouted to a HW help pay-per-question site. Thought you should now.

P.S. I don't in anyway think PF was to blame

later edit- I was able to open one of the windows later, it opend the thread I was trying to get into, except w/o a backround or border. So it could just be a browser problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm, must be on your end because we're not running anything that could be even remotely regarded as malicious.

What browser are you using? Have you tried Firefox?

Greg Bernhardt said:
hmmm, must be on your end because we're not running anything that could be even remotely regarded as malicious.

Ok, I doubted it was you guys, wasn't sure if sombody slipped somthing in your code.

Cosmo, i think it's much more likely that you just got some spyware into your computer from somewhere else, that explains the browser hijacking.

When was the last time you ran a virus and a spyware scanner (like AdAware)?

cosmo, if it is spyware (try getting spybot [not the small version, but the larger one]) i would suggest dong everything you can to get rid of it. as such spyware CAN and HAS entered into sites (such as forums) and damaged the sites you visit as well as your computer. i used spybot on my computer once and found !3,000! viruses on my computer! at ONE TIME. my computer had become so slow that it timed itself off before it could even load the startup.

cd

Non of this would have happen in the first place if you guys were using firefox:biggrin:

Yeah you should use firefox. I hate to use this argument, but I have not had a virus or spyware since I started using firefox almost two years ago.

mattmns said:
Yeah you should use firefox. I hate to use this argument, but I have not had a virus or spyware since I started using firefox almost two years ago.

The fox is only 1 year old:tongue2:

http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3558301

ranger said:
The fox is only 1 year old:tongue2:

http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3558301

but it was in beta for a long time

Yeah I started using it before 1.0

I think it was called phoenix back then, can't remember if it was 0.6 or 0.8

Actually now that I think about it, it may have been about 1 year and 6 months ago.

My comp runs a check for spyware everynight and I don't use IE I use MSN, (Not good, not great).

My dad is fanatcial about keeping spyware off so I think my comp is ok.

There is a difference between MSN and IE? Also, if MSN (the browser) is "Not good, not great" then why do you continue to put up with it?

ya, there's a differene, the msn one might be verizons.

Cause its standard its pretty good, and not a lot of faults, and none of those really bother me that much.

Have you ever given firefox a real shot?

I have lived with one arm my entire life, so living with one arm is not that bad to me. What?! You have two arms?

MSN = IE

MSN is basically a skin for IE.

1. What is PF and how does it relate to the spread of viruses/spyware?

PF is a popular online platform, often used for communication and file sharing. It can potentially spread viruses or spyware if users unknowingly download infected files from other users or click on malicious links shared on the platform.

2. How can I prevent PF from spreading viruses/spyware?

The best way to prevent PF from spreading viruses or spyware is to be cautious when downloading files or clicking on links shared on the platform. It is important to only download files from trusted sources and to avoid clicking on suspicious links.

3. Can PF be infected with viruses/spyware without my knowledge?

Yes, it is possible for PF to be infected with viruses or spyware without your knowledge. This is why it is important to have a reliable anti-virus software installed on your device and to regularly scan for any potential threats.

4. What should I do if I suspect PF may be spreading a virus/spyware?

If you suspect that PF may be spreading a virus or spyware, it is important to immediately stop using the platform and run a full scan on your device with an anti-virus software. You should also notify the platform's administrators so they can investigate and take necessary actions.

5. How can I protect myself and my device from viruses/spyware on PF?

Besides being cautious when downloading files and clicking on links, you can also protect yourself and your device by regularly updating your anti-virus software, using a secure internet connection, and avoiding sharing personal information on the platform.