Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I think steryotype is not really good

1. Aug 8, 2005 #1
    can u please tell me what you think about it ?

i think steryotype is not really good, because we all undress before enter the bathroom. how bout you ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

At this point, I tend to agree with you

But at this point, I have no idea what your talking about

4. Aug 8, 2005 #3
    I'm with Pengwuino on both accounts.

5. Aug 8, 2005 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Gaintbab:

"Stereotype" is just a word.

Perhaps you could share (more of) your thoughts with us so that we may have a discussuon about them.

6. Aug 8, 2005 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Actually, I don't.
    If I'm sweaty one day and want a shower (located in the bathroom), I go fully clothed INTO the bathroom, and undress THERE.
    And THEN I go into the shower (fully unclothed), leaving my sweaty clothes in the laundry bin, also located in the bathroom).

So I don't really understand your question.

7. Aug 8, 2005 #6

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are you insinuating, that you are one of those "cleaner than thou"? Are you a prude? Uptight about cleanliness, are we? Someone showering with their swimsuit on is somehow different than you? If someone was swimming in a business suit, would you be offended? How about observant muslim women on the beach with virtually every part of their body covered? How do you feel about that?

8. Aug 8, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes, I must admit that I have some unwarranted prejudices against males taking a swim in their business suit.
    I'll have to work on that..

9. Aug 8, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

no no, its perfectly acceptable and more men should be ashamed to be in their bathing suits... especially if there fat hairy people on vacatation for 3 days at the beach.

10. Aug 8, 2005 #9
    This offends me greatly, women exist to please the eye, how dare they try to cover up.

11. Aug 8, 2005 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Actually, this doesn't bother me a lot.

12. Aug 8, 2005 #11

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I feel that you are stereotyping women.

13. Aug 8, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Stop stereotyping smurf

14. Aug 8, 2005 #13

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you stereotyping muslims? Are you saying that they are not good Muslims if they don't cover up their women?

15. Aug 8, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How woudl that be a stereotype? If their religion dictates women are to be covered up, then they would certainly be exhibiting traits of being a bad muslim. The word "stereotype" does not fit in this case. Maybe if covering up wasn't important in the Muslim religion and non-Muslims thought it was, you could call it a mis-conception... but i dont think "sterotype" fits here.

16. Aug 8, 2005 #15

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So we should let them marry 4 women? If you're not letting them to marry 4 women, then aren't you condemning their souls to eternal damnation? Or even worse :smile: eternal peer ridicule for not being good Muslims?

17. Aug 8, 2005 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Are you stereotyping after-life in hell?
    What do you know about it?

18. Aug 8, 2005 #17

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I must admit at times I am fearful for my soul, father -- ur, arildno, I meant.

19. Aug 8, 2005 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So you are fearing the unkown, then?

20. Aug 8, 2005 #19
    :rofl: :rofl: oh man, that made me laugh out loud.

21. Aug 8, 2005 #20

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't we all? Of course there is a good deal of stereotyping the unknown, right there. Is unknown bad? Not necessarily, I guess. It's a little like swimming. If you don't know how to swim then water is the great unknown. But once you learn swimming it doesn't bother you at all. It could be rain or shine, dark or light, cold or warm, you could swim and water wouldn't have a spell on you.1

That explains the endless attempts to communicate with the netherworld, in my opinion.

But, do stereotypes have (or imply) a negative moral connotation? Are all stereotypes bad? Or are they not bad in themselves but somehow have undesirable social consequences? Or they are bad because they tend to exclude one group of people one way or the other?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?