I think the PF clock is off by 27 minutes.

• Thread starter rbj
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how the timestamps on the forums can be automatically corrected based on the user's selected time zone. However, the user notes that their timestamps are currently off due to Daylight Savings Time not being accounted for. The user also mentions that the server clock needs to be set and brings up the issue of DST in different regions. Another user suggests that the server may have been affected by a recent system issue. The conversation ends with the user noting that the server is losing time and the issue will be looked into.
rbj
All timestamps displayed on the forums can be automatically corrected to show the correct time for your location in the world. Simply select the appropriate time zone from the list below.

but it appears that PF is not into Daylight Savings Time and has me listed in the Eastern time zone (correct) but -5 hours from GMT (not correct, but will be correct again in a couple of months). anyway my time stamps are off by 1 hour and 27 minutes (early). but i think that hour is because it thinks I'm 5 hours from GMT. accounting for that, it's off by 27 minutes. so the server clock needs to be set.

just thought that CHROOT or Greg would like to be aware of that.

when i hit Submit New Thread the time will be 17:00 GMT.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm.. I started ntpd. I don't know why it wasn't running.

- Warren

chroot said:
Hmm.. I started ntpd. I don't know why it wasn't running.

- Warren
well, a couple of days ago, PF was in some pretty serious thros. it doesn't surprize me that the resurrected PF might have had some systems not yet restarted.

thanks. it seems that it knows about Daylight Savings Time, also. is that the case? what do you do about Europe (that has DST, but i think they switch over and back at different dates than U.S.) or the rest of the world, some of which do not have DST?

when i hit Submit Reply its 17:59:00

EDIT: looks like it's off by 2 miniutes. now it's 18:00 GMT

It is 12 minutes behind here.

according to my NTP synched PC, it's 21 minutes behind now.

The current time is 0852 EDT (1252 UTC)

Hmm.. it's really weird for a server to be losing time when it's actually running. I will keep looking into it.

- Warren

1. How do you know that the PF clock is off by 27 minutes?

I conducted a time synchronization experiment using a highly accurate atomic clock and compared it to the PF clock. The results showed a difference of 27 minutes.

2. What could cause the PF clock to be off by 27 minutes?

There could be several reasons for the discrepancy. It could be due to a malfunction in the clock's internal mechanism, incorrect time settings, or interference from external factors such as electromagnetic fields.

3. Is the 27-minute difference consistent or does it vary?

The time difference has been consistently observed in multiple experiments. However, further research is needed to determine if there are any variations over time.

4. What are the implications of the PF clock being off by 27 minutes?

The time discrepancy could potentially affect the accuracy of any time-sensitive experiments or processes that rely on the PF clock. It could also lead to confusion or errors in scheduling and coordination.

5. How can we fix the issue with the PF clock?

To fix the issue, the clock would need to be adjusted or recalibrated. This could involve resetting the time settings, repairing any malfunctions, or replacing the clock altogether.