1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Think, Therefore I Am A Rat

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    I was watching Mythbusters, and the redhead girl says, "for this experiment, we'll be using rats because rats are self-aware and less likely to put themselves in danger."

so I just had to look this up.

turns out some people at the U of Georgia did some studies that seem to suggest this.

(from Newsweek):

I think it's pretty cool. All studies on animal intelligence fascinate me. So if anyone knows more studies along these lines I'd love to know about them... or videos. I watched a BBC doc on chimps a few months ago (can't remember the name) that was awesome.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Indeed a nice study. Thanks for posting this moe darklight.

4. Dec 14, 2008 #3
    Interesting study. If it turns out to be accurate, I wonder if this will affect the status of mice/rats as the stereotypical lab mammal. Wouldn't self-awareness immediately lead to ethical concerns when it comes to how these animals are currently handled?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?