I think this should be simple, but i

• Thread starter ethanmuncher
  • Start date
In summary, the problem asks for the area of a triangle that is constructed from a pentagon's side, and the answer is found by using the golden ratio and the side length of the pentagon.
ethanmuncher
[SOLVED] i think this should be simple, but i need help!

Homework Statement

this isn't really homework, but I'm having trouble figuring this problem out...
the problem says:

In this diagram, the red part has an area of 800 square centimetres.
242_stararea.gif

What is the area of the green part, in square centimetres? Please round up to the nearest whole number.

Homework Equations

i have no idea how to solve this, since the only information they give is that the pentagon is 800 square centimeters...

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I figured out that you could probably fold the green triangle into the pentagon, and make it 3 triangles, the 2 on the sides being congruent... but how do i figure out an area?

Physics news on Phys.org
i like this problem, what book did you get it from?

i sort of have an idea but i don't think I'm the best person to help.

I think you're missing a piece of information on the triangles... as is, you don't have any information on how the edges not part of the pentagon act, except that the triangle is isosceles, so you can't actually get an answer

I really enjoyed this problem

The nicest I got the area to reduce to was:
[tex]\sqrt{\phi^2 - \frac{1}{4}} * \frac{1600}{\sqrt{25 + 10\sqrt{5}}}[/tex]Where [tex]\phi[/tex] is the golden ratio.

Can anyone confirm? Is this right?

Last edited:
Office_Shredder said:
I think you're missing a piece of information on the triangles... as is, you don't have any information on how the edges not part of the pentagon act, except that the triangle is isosceles, so you can't actually get an answer

I don't agree.

Assuming it is a regular pentagon, the side of a pentagon is in a golden relation with the side of the triangle.

Diffy said:
I don't agree.

Assuming it is a regular pentagon, the side of a pentagon is in a golden relation with the side of the triangle.

I completely discounted that the diagram shows the triangles edges simply as extensions of the edges of the pentagon. Whoops

Diffy said:
I really enjoyed this problem

The nicest I got the area to reduce to was:
[tex]\sqrt{\phi^2 - \frac{1}{4}} * \frac{1600}{\sqrt{25 + 10\sqrt{5}}}[/tex]

Where [tex]\phi[/tex] is the golden ratio.

Can anyone confirm? Is this right?

:confused: i really don't know what that means. I'm taking a 10th grade geometry class right now. if there was like a simple whole number you could use to solve, what would you, well estimate it to be?

From this page on the area of a pentagon
http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.04/susan1.html
I got that a pentagon with side length "2a" has area

Area_pentagon = 5 tan(54) a^2

where 54 means 54 degrees. From that page we can also get the angles in the triangle, and then I get

Area_triangle = tan(72) a^2

And so

Area_triangle / Area_pentagon = tan(72)/(5 tan(54))

And, amazingly, this works out to something very simple, namely [itex]1/\sqrt{5}=0.447[/itex]. The triangle looks to me to have an area between 1/3 and 1/2 the pentagon, so numerically this fits as well.

Avodyne said:
From this page on the area of a pentagon
http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.04/susan1.html
I got that a pentagon with side length "2a" has area

Area_pentagon = 5 tan(54) a^2

where 54 means 54 degrees. From that page we can also get the angles in the triangle, and then I get

Area_triangle = tan(72) a^2

And so

Area_triangle / Area_pentagon = tan(72)/(5 tan(54))

And, amazingly, this works out to something very simple, namely [itex]1/\sqrt{5}=0.447[/itex]. The triangle looks to me to have an area between 1/3 and 1/2 the pentagon, so numerically this fits as well.

That agrees with Diffy's result as well, which could have been simplified using phi=(sqrt(5)+1)/2.

Both answers work out to be around 357.7 This is good enough for me to confirm mine and Avodyne's answers are good.

thanks everyone! i rounded 357.7 to 358, and apparently it was the right answer. :)

1. How do I know if my idea is simple enough for a scientific study?

A simple idea for a scientific study is one that can be easily tested and has a clear hypothesis. It should also have a limited number of variables to control for and a straightforward methodology. If you are unsure, it is best to consult with a fellow scientist or mentor.

2. What are the benefits of conducting a simple scientific study?

Simple scientific studies are often more manageable and cost-effective. They also allow for clear and direct results, making it easier to draw conclusions and make recommendations. Additionally, simple studies can be a good starting point for more complex studies in the future.

3. How can I ensure the validity of a simple scientific study?

To ensure the validity of a simple scientific study, it is important to carefully design the study and control for any potential confounding variables. Using a large and diverse sample size can also increase the reliability of the results. It is also crucial to follow proper scientific methods and accurately report the findings.

4. What are some potential limitations of conducting a simple scientific study?

One potential limitation of a simple scientific study is the lack of generalizability. Since these studies often have a narrow focus, the results may not be applicable to a larger population or real-world situations. Additionally, simple studies may not be able to account for all possible variables, leading to potential biases or inaccurate conclusions.

5. Can a simple scientific study still contribute to the larger body of scientific knowledge?

Absolutely! Simple studies can provide valuable insights and contribute to the larger body of scientific knowledge. They can also serve as a foundation for future studies and help guide more complex research. Every scientific study, no matter how simple, has the potential to make a meaningful contribution to our understanding of the world.