Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I thought it said

1. Nov 10, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What it said was "Star [something] Thanksgiving Recipes" - recipes from movie or TV stars.

At first glance I thought it said: "Star Trek Thanksgiving Recipes". :confused:

I keep seeing The Greg Behrendt Show, which of course looks like The Greg Bernhardt Show.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2007 #2
    That's all pre-programmed into the replicators.

4. Nov 11, 2007 #3
    Turkeys everywhere agree: Replicators make the perfect holiday gift!

5. Nov 11, 2007 #4

turbo

Gold Member

And replicants yearn for REAL turkeys, not the ones from Tyrell Corp.

6. Nov 11, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've done a double-take on that one a few times too. :biggrin:

I sure hope the person who programmed the replicator started with a nice, juicy turkey, not some dried out, bland one like my grandmother makes. :uhh:

7. Nov 11, 2007 #6
    Thats what home-made gravy (with habanero powder of course) is for :biggrin:.

8. Nov 11, 2007 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Got to send you to cooking school, buddy! You can't screw up the turkey, then hide the damage with gravy! Every component has to be as good as possible, then you can play with the garnish, gravy, etc, to make a meal to remember.

I used to fight to keep my sister away from the potatoes on Thanksgiving. She would drown them in milk and butter and mash them until they turned into a bland sticky paste. You can't fix them after that. I like my mashed potatoes coarse and lumpy, with little chunks of boiled potatoes all through the mix, not much milk, and lots of butter and salt and pepper. She could always get her potatoes beaten to a fare-thee-well with extra milk with just a little work on her own part, but she thought everybody should have to suffer through her over-done potato paste. My mother's side of the family was French-Indian and they tended to cook vegetables al-dente, with a firm enough texture that you could enjoy them. Over-processed food (think of the pale canned string beans, for instance) is a sore disappointment.

9. Nov 11, 2007 #8
    I guess I'm taking the perfect 2 turkeys I get every year for granted :tongue2:.

10. Nov 11, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: When my friend cooked her first Thanksgiving turkey (the one that ended up roasted upside down), when I got there, I insisted on teaching her how to make a quick gravy (she wasn't going to make gravy because she didn't know how...I have no idea how she managed to reach adulthood with so few cooking skills). Only AFTER the turkey turned out okay did I tell her I was so determined to make gravy just in case it was dry and needed drowning to be edible. :biggrin: My mom's side of the family cannot be trusted anywhere near a turkey, so I've learned to either request the dark meat or choke down white meat with LOTS of gravy.

I only like them lumpy if they're "dirty" mashed potatoes, with the skins on, and onion and garlic added. Otherwise, I do like them whipped smooth, but I do agree you have to be really careful not to add too much milk. I've made that mistake. :redface: Now, I just add the butter first, then start whipping them and add a little milk (or better, cream) at a time, just until they're not dry. My mom still just adds some random amount of milk at the beginning (you're probably figuring out that my mom's cooking is pretty bad), and you're absolutely right, once you've added too much, there's no recovering from it. If you make them too wet, then when you add gravy, they end up turning into nothing but a puddle on the plate.

11. Nov 12, 2007 #10

turbo

Gold Member

That's the way my wife and I make them, including the onion and garlic. The onions can make the mix so moist that you don't need to add milk (or very little), and the flavor is wonderful. As a kid, we met with extended family for Thanksgiving, so we only got the traditional plain mashed potatoes then. That's why I had to lobby to keep my sister away from the mashing duties - she would take a rather bland dish and turn it into a disgusting sticky mess. Just for reference, she LOVED the instant mashed potatoes that were served at the local school lunch program. :yuck:

Another promising thread hijacked by a food-fight.:rofl:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  12. Nov 12, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:yuck: Ugh! I'm afraid there's nothing you can do...clearly her tastebuds are irreparably damaged. We could trade, send her to my mom's for Thanksgiving and I'll join you. She'd probably enjoy my mom's cooking.

:rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?