Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I to v converter

1. Feb 7, 2016 #1
    Hi all,
    I need to convert i to v using photodiode and iv converter, now the photodiode can give reverse light current upto micro amps and to convert it to volt i am using opamp with has max input bias current of about nano amps , now how can i convert this micro amps to nano amps because it should not destroy my opamp , can you please suggest a current limiter circuit so that my voltage remains the same

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2016 #2

LvW

I am afraid, you are confused regarding the currents.
    It is the INPUT current into the opamp which is in the nano-ampere range.
    Hower, this can be neglected using an opamp in the classical I-V converter arrangement.
    Do you know how such a circuit (with feedback) looks like?

4. Feb 7, 2016 #3
    Y
    Yeah, but i am using an inverting ckt theonly issue is regarding e currentthat into the inv terminal , will current in microamps damage the opamp

5. Feb 7, 2016 #4

LvW

No - the current enters the feedback resistor.

6. Feb 7, 2016 #5
    Oh thanks... Just got that thanks.. Thank you sir

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2016
  7. Feb 7, 2016 #6
    Ok so the current goes via feedback and maintains a voltage level vo and keeps non inv at thesame level... So it does not goto inverting terminal... Right,, sir

8. Feb 7, 2016 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can I suggest you post your circuit diagram.

9. Feb 7, 2016 #8
    I agree with CWatters, it's awkward to give a useful answer without knowing which components you are using and where they sit in your circuit.

I think, if you are using an appropriate op-amp for your purpose, the bigger concern would be in handling noise to get a useful response from your monitor.

10. Feb 7, 2016 #9
  11. Feb 7, 2016 #10
    Please find the circuit attached above

12. Feb 8, 2016 #11

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The circuit schematic you posted does not use a photodiode...

13. Feb 8, 2016 #12
    Well i used an ldristead of photodiode to illustrate that, since my simulator didnt have the phtodiode

14. Feb 8, 2016 #13

berkeman

That's a completely different circuit than the one you were asking about. Just find an example circuit using Google Images and post that instead so we can discuss it. :smile:

15. Feb 8, 2016 #14

berkeman

16. Feb 8, 2016 #15
    Thank you sir

17. Feb 8, 2016 #16

berkeman

You are welcome, but you didn't answer my question. I understand that the language translation issue is a problem, but we should still be able to help you if you would ask a clear question based on that simplified schematic. :smile:

18. Feb 8, 2016 #17

rbelli1

Gold Member

You can also use the schematic berkeman posted with an LED however the output will likely be lower than a purpose built photodiode. Single supply operation is possible if you apply an appropriate voltage to the non-inverting input.

BoB

19. Feb 8, 2016 #18
    Well,my issue was the current entering into the the inverting terminal of opamp exceeding the specified limit, but later on found out that most of the current went thro the feedback R , and the current entering invl was only nano amps

20. Feb 8, 2016 #19

rbelli1

Gold Member

For voltage feedback op amps you don't want to rely on the exact value of the input bias current as this is a parasitic. You want to design your circuit so that the bias current is either insignificant or you compensate for it somehow.

BoB

21. Feb 8, 2016 #20

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's correct, you have discovered a main rule of Op-Amp circuits
    In an ideal/near idea situation no current flows into or out of the inputs of an op-amp

have a look at this great video from Dave @ EEV-blog

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...950D0C45487CFCBDAEFE950D0C45487CFC&FORM=VIRE1

I have posted this link a number of times over the years :smile:
    cheers
    Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook