Explain why some noble gases such as Xe will form compounds

In summary, noble gases such as Xe have a lower ionization energy and are more easily polarized, making them able to form compounds. The bonding in ethene, with a double bond between the carbons, is achieved through sp2 hybridization and the overlap of 2p orbitals. This also explains why noble gases, which have higher quantum numbers and less effective nuclear charge, have a harder time forming compounds. Additionally, molecular orbital theory can further explain the stability of noble gases and their instability as compounds.
gotzmlk
sorry but this si really hard for me i don't understand these 2 question.

Explain why some noble gases such as Xe will form compounds and some such as Ne will not?

What kinds of orbital arrangemenets contribute to the bonding in ethene

H2C = CH2

thats a double bond

i tried and i don't understand.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
trigonal planar

All atoms will be on a flat plane with the Hydrogens coming off at a 120 angle.

Nautica

Xenon has a much lower ionization energy than neon, by a difference of a 1000 or so kJ/mol. In other words it will take less energy to strip an electron off xenon and make it reactive compared to neon. It still takes a lot of energy though.

In ethene, the carbons are sp2 hybridized.
/:up spin
\:down spin

CH2=CH2
2s _/\_
2p _/_ _/_ __

make
sp2 _/\_ _/_ _/_
and the leftover 2p __
with two spots for the two hydrogens and an empty 2p orbital that overlaps with the adjacent carbons empty 2p to make the pi bond. I hope that wasn't too confusing. Do you have a textbook that you use with your class?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they've formed compounds with neon. In fact I think that was the first noble gas they've got to form compounds.

Uh, nope --- Xe first, then Kr. I s'pose radon's the most reactive of the group, but the 4 day half-life takes all the fun out of playing with it.

Elements farther down the column have higher quantum numbers and as a result the valence electrons have less effective nuclear charge; thus low ionization energy and most importantly of all they are able to be polarized. An example of this is their ability to more easily form van der wal bonds. Simply said, Xe's electrons are more "available" due to its outer location as well as its polarization characteristics.
Remember though that these compounds are most likely induced-ionic or induced dipole bonds. The stability of nobles gases and thus their instabilty as compounds can be explained through molecular orbital theory.

Hybridized SP2 atomic orbitals form sigma molecular orbitals with SP2 and S orbitals, overlapping Pz orbitals forms the pi shaped molecular orbital.

Hope this helps.

1. Why are noble gases, such as Xe, typically unreactive?

Noble gases have a full outer electron shell, making them stable and unreactive. This full shell of electrons, also known as an octet, makes it difficult for these elements to gain or lose electrons and form compounds.

2. How do noble gases, like Xe, form compounds if they are typically unreactive?

Under certain conditions, noble gases can form compounds by gaining or losing electrons to achieve a full outer electron shell. This can occur through chemical reactions or extreme physical conditions, such as high pressure or temperature.

3. What makes Xe different from other noble gases in terms of compound formation?

Xe is the heaviest noble gas and has a larger atomic radius, making it more likely to participate in chemical reactions. It also has a lower ionization energy, meaning it requires less energy to remove an electron and form a compound compared to other noble gases.

4. Can Xe form compounds with any other element?

Yes, Xe can form compounds with a variety of elements, including fluorine, chlorine, and oxygen. These compounds are known as xenon fluorides, xenon chlorides, and xenon oxides.

5. What are some real-life applications of noble gas compounds, specifically those involving Xe?

Some real-life applications of noble gas compounds include the use of xenon fluorides as rocket propellants and in the production of semiconductors. Xenon chloride compounds are also used in lasers and as disinfectants in medical settings. Additionally, xenon oxides are used in the production of specialized glasses and electronics.