Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I triple-dog dare you

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

to rummage around your dvd pile and find 'Christmas Story'.

MANY years ago my wife decreed that:
    'Christmas shall commence as soon we start Thanskgiving dessert.' Actually if she were emperor of the US, the official Christmas season would start on June 25.

We start Christmas by watching Christmas Story. So now I gotta find the damned disc.... or hope it's on TBS that night.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

What happened to "It's a Wonderful Life"?

4. Nov 15, 2007 #3

J77

Christmas should start on the 24th of December!

Not in mid November!

Bah, hum-bug and all that... :tongue:

5. Nov 15, 2007 #4
    Mine starts as soon as I finnish cleaning up the leaves. Between work and family, its my most stressed out time of the year. So I put off the leaves for as long as possible.

6. Nov 15, 2007 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Christmas is a colorful time of year. You should try seeing life in more than black and white, Astronuc. :tongue:

I hope nobody takes this as a suggestion to colorize this movie.

7. Nov 15, 2007 #6
    Giftmas is at the end of December. Only commercial thralls submit to anything Xmassy in November. Don't do it! Long live La Resistance!

8. Nov 15, 2007 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Easter starts as soon as I finish cleaning up the leaves in my yard.

I'm not very good at Christmas. I wait until any mailed packages can't possibly arrive to start my Christmas shopping - it makes things easier. ~shudder~:yuck: Sometimes, I splurge and buy another box of Christmas cards to fill out and mail next year or the year after or the year after that. If I'm cheap, I rummage through the closet and see if I can find an old box. I probably still won't fill them out and mail them, but it looks better if you have an unopened box sitting on the desk - at least it makes it look like you might send out Christmas cards. Sometimes, I wonder why anyone still sends me Christmas cards.

9. Nov 15, 2007 #8

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't say we did much to start Christmas, but we declare it officially on. Mostly for fun and a good excuse to drink egg nog, eat seasonal pies, and watch Christmas movies.

It's a lot better than shopping mauls && if you don't know - that's a new officially sanctioned SCA weapon for dealing with crowds this time of year.

Okay, so how many of you have no clue what the SCA is? I'm not in it but all my kids are.

10. Nov 15, 2007 #9

Astronuc

I avoid malls for precisely that reason most of the time, but particularly at holiday periods - and the fact that I find most shops to be eye-sores. I can't believe our economies are based on such c**p.

But then that's me and Aspergers.

11. Nov 15, 2007 #10

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ha, ha, ha, Merry Christmas!

Probably old news already, but

"Ho ho ho" banned in Australia
    SANTAS working in shopping centres across Australia have been banned from bellowing "ho ho ho" because it might frighten children...​

12. Nov 15, 2007 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That's pretty much the way my wife is as well. My wife is wayyyyy into Christmas. As a matter of fact, I had to drive her car the other day and one of the local radio stations has already converted over to nothing but Christmas music. It makes me glad I have satellite radio.

For the record though, I have seen 'Christmas Story' well over 100 times and I still like the movie. We added "Christmas Vacation" to the must watch list too.

13. Nov 15, 2007 #12

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm probably up in the nineties and still counting - on times I've seen Christmas Story.

Heck, Santa Fe has Susan's Christmas Shop near the Cathedral, and there's the Old Town Christmas Shoppe in old town in Albuquerque. We go to both of them off and on during the year. At least Susan's is an "Easter Shop" for few months after Christmas. Did I mention that my wife has the same problem with Easter as she does with Chrsitmas?

It's tough on her that our groen kids won't play along.

14. Nov 15, 2007 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I thought I was getting a bit anxious for Christmas when I already started pulling out Christmas decorations last weekend (haven't put them up yet, just started mining through the storage space for the boxes, trying to decide what will be cat proof and what won't), but as I was driving home last night, I noticed that one of my neighbors already has their Christmas tree up and lit in their front window! :bugeye: I've always started decorating the day after Thanksgiving (though I might start a little early this year), but for some reason, I just keep feeling like it should already be Christmas season this year and am craving Christmas music already (already started singing Christmas carols in the shower :redface:).

15. Nov 15, 2007 #14

turbo

Gold Member

There is a house a couple of miles away that is decked out in full Christmas kitsch. The house is up for sale, and the owners probably think that their decorations dress up the place. Nope! Oh, well...the electric company will be happy.

16. Nov 15, 2007 #15

turbo

Gold Member

We don't save Christmas Story for Christmas. It's a pretty good story for any old time. "You'll put your eye out!"

17. Nov 15, 2007 #16

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Turbo-1:
    Why do you suppose I have so much trouble editing/typing and otherwise babbling?
    In my case it was "You'll shoot your brain out". I still beep at TSA terminals....

18. Nov 15, 2007 #17

Evo

You can buy Christmas Story here http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Story-Two-Disc-Special/dp/B0000AYJUW

For me the start of Christmas is watching "Christmas Vacation" with Chevy Chase, followed by The Bishop's Wife and Holiday Inn. Christmas doesn't happen without those 3 movies. Next is White Christmas, Charlie Brown Christmas and It's a Wonderful Life.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  19. Nov 15, 2007 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Damn, Jim! You've got enough metal in your head to beep? A single BB wouldn't do it, would it?

My dad could never have an MRI nor get through airport screeners. Before I was born, he was bulldozing a woods-road and a big dead limb came down and crushed his skull (no safety cages back then). He's got stainless-steel plates, screws and wires all through his head.

20. Nov 15, 2007 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

3 movies I have never seen. :frown:

21. Nov 15, 2007 #20

Evo

OMG!!!! Do you have a DVD player or can you play DVD's on your computer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?