Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I-V characteristics of a silicon p-n junction diode

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1

smn

Hello all,
    I've been tasked with drawing the I-V characteristics of a silicon p-n junction diode and i've managed to do that fine.
    Now, i've been tasked with showing how this curve will vary with temperature (200-400 deg.c) and by illumination with light of photon energy greater than the semiconductor band gap.
    I've been trwling through the net and some library books but can't find any information relevant to the last two tasks.
    Could anyone point me in the right direction or show a link to somewhere that may help?
    Regards
    smn

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2005 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You have the diode equation, right? Id = Is(e^qV/kT - 1) The variation with temperature is shown explicitly there. As for the photocurrent, it is mostly independent of reverse bias, but I'm not sure what it is like with a forward biased device. Probably still independent of bias, but I'm not sure. And the photocurrent flows in the reverse direction, from cathode to anode. Look up the diode equation and also look up photodiodes.

BTW, if this is for a homework assignment, we're supposed to post and answer those over in the homework forums.

4. Nov 7, 2005 #3

smn

Thanks for your reply Berkemen,

Yes, i do have that equation, i think i was looking at the problem a little too deep!

The tasks that i've been set are from an old exam paper. They're not 'official homeworks' but in future i will post any questions of this type in the homework forum.

Regards

smn

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?