Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I wanna be a Pseudoscientist

1. May 9, 2013 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yes, this is a joke.

Continued...

http://sciblogs.co.nz/molecular-matters/2011/05/06/i-wanna-be-a-pseudoscientist/

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You shouldn't joke about it ... it is MUCH more profitable than being actual scientist because to publish, you don't have to do any actual research, just string together a bunch of mumbo jumbo and then move on to the next book (or TV show).

4. May 9, 2013 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

And anyone who tries to discredit you or even adopts a skeptical stance can immediately be accused as being part of the establishment cabal with big vested interests.

5. May 9, 2013 #4

Evo

BIG PHARMA trying to keep the truth away from the populace. :surprised

6. May 9, 2013 #5
    I could only listen to six minutes of this, but it's either brilliant comedy or serious pseudoscience (meaning the narrator really believes this stuff). BTW 696 thumbs up, 198 down. I hope most of the thumbs up people just thought it was funny, but then again.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkpPbro-EAk

Note the string ends attached to the "levitated" object at the beginning.

7. May 9, 2013 #6

Danger

Gold Member

You have a lot more patience than me, SW. I lasted only 46 seconds.
    Evo, I've spent about the last 30 years considering the idea of starting a cult. Maybe we could partner up and get twice as rich.

8. May 10, 2013 #7
    Those are strings of sideways multi-resonating quantum magnetic momentum and they are attached to the universal ceiling that is up and infinitely far away.

9. May 10, 2013 #8
    If people have the time, they should listen to the whole thing. I think it might be a spoof by some physics students at a certain British university. It's an 'ultimate theory of space, time, matter, energy, life, the universe and everything' dressed up in bits of real (if disconnected) math and physics. (But no mention of the number 42 that I recall.) Early on, it resolves QM with GR and explains quantum gravity.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  10. May 10, 2013 #9

Borek

Lifter is a sound science, it requires high voltage, hence the wires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionocraft

I don't understand spoken English, so I didn't drop out till around the first static pictures.

11. May 10, 2013 #10
    I'm glad you brought this up. Lifters are real but, before their operation was understood, many claimed they demonstrated an anti-gravity phenomenon. I suppose there are still people who think that, despite the fact they won't work in a vacuum.

12. May 10, 2013 #11
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk2GGoMJ7NU

13. May 10, 2013 #12
    OK. That would be an electromagnetic phenomenon producing thrust, but I don't think you can call that "antigravity". The electromagnetically generated thrust would simply overcome gravity in this case of a lightweight metal object.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  14. May 10, 2013 #13

Borek

I never stated anything about antigravity - and I am aware of the fact people are misinterpreting the working principle of the lifters. It is just that the initial comment about strings could be read as suggesting first scenes of video depict some kind of hoax, while there is a perfectly valid physics behind. And as explained earlier, I am completely ignoring whatever the guy says in the video.

15. May 10, 2013 #14

russ_watters

Um, if there's two of you, won't you be half as rich? :tongue:

Sorry buddy, but there's only room for one Jesus in my cult.

16. May 10, 2013 #15
    That's the great thing about Mythbusters: they have the budget to build a vacuum chamber and settle the issue on national TV.

17. May 10, 2013 #16

Borek

<devil's advocate>They didn't prove anything, they should show it flying in the chamber first.</devil's advocate>

18. May 10, 2013 #17

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This was posted recently in a different thread, but it's worthy of reposting.

"Several years ago, Rockwell International decided to get into the heavy duty automatic transmission business. They were getting ready to tape their first introductory video. As a warm up, the professional narrator began what has become a legend within the training industry."​

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kwl1YRYy_g

19. May 10, 2013 #18

Evo

That was good.

20. May 10, 2013 #19

Danger

Gold Member

No, we'd double the take because we'd be targeting two distinct, yet equally gullible, segments of society.

Oh, well... if you have one of those things kicking around you're unsuitable for membership anyhow. My ex-wife insisted upon having one in our bathroom. I didn't like the way it looked at me while I was taking a dump.

21. May 12, 2013 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You fail to understand the future of social networks, such as Facebook. Someday, marketing companies will take advantage of "parrots" that promote a company's product via word of mouth. Companies will pay people to do this, with a parrot's pay determined by:

a) their reach (their number of Twitter followers, Facebook friends, etc)

b) their incorruptibility (people that are pecieved as the type that would refuse to promote products to their friends for money make the most valuable "parrot")

And, yes, selecting your parrots to cover drastically different demographic groups will extend a company's reach.

Actually, I got this idea from Jennifer Egan's "A Visit from the Goon Squad", an exceptionally well written book (especially the chapter that consisted entirely of Power Point slides - I'm a sucker for Power Point slides). And, naturally, I wasn't paid for that compliment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook