Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I wanna go to the university!

1. Oct 21, 2004 #1
    I was wondering, is it still possible for a 37 year old dude to go to the uinversity and study physics and be good at it?
    My education is limited to the high school,and my memory simply sucks.
    Oh! and I can't learn mathemathics.
    But somehow I love science and there are days ,weeks that I study as much as I can on my own .However this ****ing Internet has hold on me, and I spend almost whole free time on message boards. What to do? :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You really can't learn physics without math.

4. Oct 21, 2004 #3
    See if you can take a fairly inexpensive math/physics course somewhere to see if you could handle taking Physics in university. I'd be inclined to believe your more capable in mathematics than you think you are.

5. Oct 21, 2004 #4
    Really? how come?

6. Oct 21, 2004 #5
    Seconded. I mean, you COULD take some introductory courses and not do a lot of math but if you want to go on in physics specifically then it's math, math and more math!

If you say you like science though, what specifically do you like? You might be able to find a program that suits your interest and isn't all that math intensive.

7. Oct 21, 2004 #6
    you guys are of course right math is the basis of physics,well...then I'm gonna have to refresh my multiplication table. :wink:
    Does chemistry demands doing lots of math?

8. Oct 21, 2004 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's much less math needed for chemistry. The hardest math you'll most likely come across is solving simple separable ODEs in Kinetics. You might have to solve quartic equations for euilibrium problems, but those usually can be approximated to some nearby quadratic. Some chemistry programs may require a course in point symmetries, space groups, etc. and may need some basic group theory. There may probably be one Quantum Chemistry (or Theoretical Spectroscopy) course that will need familiarity with integral calculus and some things like fourier transforms. Other than that, it's mostly basic algebra and arithmetic.

Someone here's a Chemistry major (can't remember who)...he'll have a better idea.

9. Oct 21, 2004 #8
    Thanks guys for your advice and sugestions,just one question not related to the original topic: are you addicted to the internet? :cry:

10. Oct 21, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only to PF :redface:

11. Oct 21, 2004 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hey, tumor, if it is any encouragement, I am your age and planning to enter a university next year to finish my degree. (I am not a physics major, though - I am studying cognitive science). I have spent the last two or three years working on math and science and all the general ed. requirements at a community college. It's really important to be well prepared when you get in to the university. Like you, I used to think I couldn't learn math, but I did it anyway, and I found success after much hard work and practice. (the really bizarre thing is that I found out I loved mathematics the most out of all my subjects!)
    I have read a little bit about the statistics on the graduation success rate of returning students, and they are very favorable. If you want to pursue this, there is no reason why you shouldn't. The odds are in your favor.
    I wish you luck. Hope you will wish me the same.

12. Oct 22, 2004 #11
    Of course, good luck! to you MATH IS HARD, and thank you for encouraging words, I'm gonna have to study hard from this day on,live is to short to waste it.
    What a coincidence! I checked your profile and I see you were born on 1 April 1967,my birthday is on 1 september 1967, WOW :smile:

13. Oct 22, 2004 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neat-o mosquito! :biggrin: Thanks for the good wishes. I better go hit the books now. Big long essay test tomorrow for cultural anthro class.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?