I want a new job

  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • #1
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
I am fed up with my job, in the last six days i have managed to get a black eye, two electrical shocks, got my arm jamed, and all because i have a new guy to work with ,and boy can he talk the talk, this guy has worked every where and done every thing and yet he can not find the simplest fault, and i want very much to kill him, i showed him how to (jog) the machine (inch) mode, so that i could set up a cam, and the dick head puts it on full cycle, i nearly lost my arm, trying to find an electrical fault i tell him to throw breakers 12 a 13 he threw 1 and 3, if it wasnt for the rubber wellies we have to wear i would be toast now, we have to work a buddy system as the lines we work on are quite big, and often times control panels are far from the parts we are working on, i think i could snap this guys neck, but would that make me a bad person.
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
10,226
34
What kind of work do you do?

Have you told your boss that the new guy is unsafe, and needs more supervision from him?

- Warren
 
  • #3
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
chroot said:
What kind of work do you do?

Have you told your boss that the new guy is unsafe, and needs more supervision from him?

- Warren
Hey , Warren, the world i live in is crazy, it seems i have unlimited power when it comes to keeping things running, but no power as to how i do it, if i have a major problem my bosses are otherwise engaged.
 
  • #4
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
9,621
6
Send him up to fix the lines next time and you throw the wrong circuit breakers :wink: Just make sure he forgets to put his wellies on :tongue:

(I am joking by the way)
 
  • #5
55
9
Not wanting to encourage you or anything but remember accidents happen everyday at work.
 
  • #6
4,465
72
But there is no reason to accept that. Accidents should not happen and 99% is preventable human error.

Actually accidents are the result of a long chain of binary yes - no events, if not this..and if not that and if not that etc then the accident would not have happened. However this and this and this and this together caused it to happen. So accident prevention programs are training people to identify those chains of events and actually the accident did not happen in this case All switches were in the accident mode except for the last switch, which was in the right -safe- position: "if it wasn't for the rubber wellies".

So Wolram, it may pay sometime to be very alert recognising the chain of events leading to disaster. Think ahead, what if this went wrong or that went wrong?

If you knew that person, could or would you have checked if the correct breakers were pulled or had asked him to read back which circuit breakers he did pull. And of course the buddy system is there for buddies. Take him to the pub and have a real good talk with him.
 
  • #7
DaveC426913
Gold Member
19,098
2,611
wolram said:
i showed him how to (jog) the machine (inch) mode, so that i could set up a cam, and the dick head puts it on full cycle, i nearly lost my arm, trying to find an electrical fault i tell him to throw breakers 12 a 13 he threw 1 and 3
Surely you would never
- stick your hand in a machine while someone has their hand on the start button
- start working on a high power line without first dropping a wrench across it to ensure it really is dead

I hope you don't sky dive or scuba dive in your spare time. If you let others be responsiblew for your life and limb you'd be dead by now.:surprised :surprised
 
  • #8
55
9
Or you could take your buddy down the pub and have an accident with him, what happened to the physicsforums where you could be sarcastic and get away with out someone taking you seriously.
 
  • #9
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
Andre said:
But there is no reason to accept that. Accidents should not happen and 99% is preventable human error.

Actually accidents are the result of a long chain of binary yes - no events, if not this..and if not that and if not that etc then the accident would not have happened. However this and this and this and this together caused it to happen. So accident prevention programs are training people to identify those chains of events and actually the accident did not happen in this case All switches were in the accident mode except for the last switch, which was in the right -safe- position: "if it wasn't for the rubber wellies".

So Wolram, it may pay sometime to be very alert recognising the chain of events leading to disaster. Think ahead, what if this went wrong or that went wrong?

If you knew that person, could or would you have checked if the correct breakers were pulled or had asked him to read back which circuit breakers he did pull. And of course the buddy system is there for buddies. Take him to the pub and have a real good talk with him.
I will give it a try, in the mean time while he is around i have to think he is doctor death and check everry thing twice, but my rep as mr fast fixer will suffer :grumpy:
 
  • #10
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
246
DaveC426913 said:
I hope you don't sky dive or scuba dive in your spare time.
He only tried scuba diving once, and he damned nearly drowned because his 'cute wouldn't open. I'd hate to even think what would happen if he went skydiving and his air-hose kinked up.
 
  • #11
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
Danger said:
He only tried scuba diving once, and he damned nearly drowned because his 'cute wouldn't open. I'd hate to even think what would happen if he went skydiving and his air-hose kinked up.
Hey, leave me alone, i am a very safe opperator when alone,it just worries me that this guy was looking at an inverter and told me , the plc says it is not energised thats the problem.
 
  • #12
Pythagorean
Gold Member
4,214
272
I used to fish commercially.

It's always nice when the man running the hydraulics knows what he's doing. I cherished those moments.
 
  • #13
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
Pythagorean said:
I used to fish commercially.

It's always nice when the man running the hydraulics knows what he's doing. I cherished those moments.
Seen some film clips, you sure depend on each other in that job, the last person that you want on the hydraulics is a cross between Mr mgoo and a gremlin.
 

Related Threads on I want a new job

  • Last Post
Replies
13
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
14
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
18
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
1K
Replies
5
Views
706
Replies
16
Views
2K
Replies
13
Views
3K
Replies
25
Views
4K
Top