News I Want A Rebate!

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
Howdy people, as some of you have hopefully seen on the news Tony Blair is defying Europe about this Rebate watchamacallit. I think it must be good if gerhard schroder and good old jacques dont want the british to have it. But i still dunno what it is, so can anyone explain what it is and what the reason for the big arguement is?

Andy said:
I think it must be good if gerhard schroder and good old jacques dont want the british to have it. But i still dunno what it is,
Oh nice logic there sparky.

lol, well's everyone already knows im a fool so why pretend any different.

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Basically, since Thatcher faffed about with the EU in 1984, the UK has been pouring a shedload of money into the EU, and doesn't get as much back. Instead, we've been getting this rebate, which gives us some of our money back. It's something to do with farmers.

Anyway, it's been proposed that the amount of this rebate is to be fixed for the period from 2007-2013. This could mean that we lose out on something like £20 billion, and still be paying a third more than France does.

Tony doesn't like this plan, so he's saying "no thanks".

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/eu/story/0,9061,1506172,00.html#article_continue

Art

Andy said:
Howdy people, as some of you have hopefully seen on the news Tony Blair is defying Europe about this Rebate watchamacallit. I think it must be good if gerhard schroder and good old jacques dont want the british to have it. But i still dunno what it is, so can anyone explain what it is and what the reason for the big arguement is?
All member countries make a donation to the EU based on the size of their economy. Britain's nett contribution was the biggest (money paid in vs subsidies received) and so under Margaret Thatcher's leadership Britain demanded and got an annual rebate currently worth £3.5 billion. Basically M. Thatcher blackmailed them at the time by vetoing all new legislation until they gave her what she wanted. Ever since the French and the Germans have wanted this rebate stopped. France will shortly be paying more than Britain in nett terms and are increasingly incensed by the rebate. Britain meanwhile is threatening to veto this years budget if the French and Germans don't get off their case. This will hurt the French particularly as their farmers are major recipients of EU subsidies. T. Blair has offered that Britain will renegotiate on the rebate if France will renegotiate on the farm subsidies (as in a major reduction) and so the fun continues.

Last edited by a moderator:

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Art said:
T. Blair has offered that Britain will renegotiate on the rebate if France will renegotiate on the farm subsidies (as in a major reduction) and so the fun continues.
And to say that this kind of fun wouldn't take place anymore with the European Constitution (R.I.P.) :cry:

Thanks people, kinda cleared it up but think i will stay out of politics for a while.

Art

vanesch said:
And to say that this kind of fun wouldn't take place anymore with the European Constitution (R.I.P.) :cry:
lol personally I'd miss it. Watching France and Britain going at it 'hammer and tongs' is the best free entertainment available.

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Art said:
lol personally I'd miss it. Watching France and Britain going at it 'hammer and tongs' is the best free entertainment available.
You're right: it would be the end of a millennium-long tradition :tongue:
Some things, you just have to keep them I guess :biggrin:

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Andy said:
I think because its a mail-in rebate instead of an instant rebate
:rofl: :rofl:

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
vanesch said:
You're right: it would be the end of a millennium-long tradition :tongue:
Some things, you just have to keep them I guess :biggrin:
Yeah, when the French voted "no" last week, I was almost worried that we'd actually start to get along!

But now, it's business as usual, then...

Pengwuino

Gold Member
brewnog said:
Yeah, when the French voted "no" last week, I was almost worried that we'd actually start to get along!

But now, it's business as usual, then...
lol "ok back to plans for WW3"

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
lol "ok back to plans for WW3"
Nahh, it's more friendly than that. I reckon it's like hating your little sister or something.

jma2001

Gold Member
brewnog said:
Nahh, it's more friendly than that. I reckon it's like hating your little sister or something.
Yes, but which one of you is the little sister? :tongue2:

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
jma2001 said:
Yes, but which one of you is the little sister? :tongue2:
It doesn't matter, the contempt is mutual!