Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Want A Rebate!

1. Jun 14, 2005 #1
    Howdy people, as some of you have hopefully seen on the news Tony Blair is defying Europe about this Rebate watchamacallit. I think it must be good if gerhard schroder and good old jacques dont want the british to have it. But i still dunno what it is, so can anyone explain what it is and what the reason for the big arguement is?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2005 #2
    Oh nice logic there sparky.

4. Jun 14, 2005 #3
    lol, well's everyone already knows im a fool so why pretend any different.

5. Jun 14, 2005 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Basically, since Thatcher faffed about with the EU in 1984, the UK has been pouring a shedload of money into the EU, and doesn't get as much back. Instead, we've been getting this rebate, which gives us some of our money back. It's something to do with farmers.

Anyway, it's been proposed that the amount of this rebate is to be fixed for the period from 2007-2013. This could mean that we lose out on something like £20 billion, and still be paying a third more than France does.

Tony doesn't like this plan, so he's saying "no thanks".

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/eu/story/0,9061,1506172,00.html#article_continue

6. Jun 14, 2005 #5

Art

All member countries make a donation to the EU based on the size of their economy. Britain's nett contribution was the biggest (money paid in vs subsidies received) and so under Margaret Thatcher's leadership Britain demanded and got an annual rebate currently worth £3.5 billion. Basically M. Thatcher blackmailed them at the time by vetoing all new legislation until they gave her what she wanted. Ever since the French and the Germans have wanted this rebate stopped. France will shortly be paying more than Britain in nett terms and are increasingly incensed by the rebate. Britain meanwhile is threatening to veto this years budget if the French and Germans don't get off their case. This will hurt the French particularly as their farmers are major recipients of EU subsidies. T. Blair has offered that Britain will renegotiate on the rebate if France will renegotiate on the farm subsidies (as in a major reduction) and so the fun continues.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  7. Jun 14, 2005 #6

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And to say that this kind of fun wouldn't take place anymore with the European Constitution (R.I.P.) :cry:

8. Jun 14, 2005 #7
    Thanks people, kinda cleared it up but think i will stay out of politics for a while.

9. Jun 14, 2005 #8

Art

lol personally I'd miss it. Watching France and Britain going at it 'hammer and tongs' is the best free entertainment available.

10. Jun 15, 2005 #9

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're right: it would be the end of a millennium-long tradition :tongue:
    Some things, you just have to keep them I guess :biggrin:

11. Jun 15, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think because its a mail-in rebate instead of an instant rebate
    :rofl: :rofl:

12. Jun 15, 2005 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, when the French voted "no" last week, I was almost worried that we'd actually start to get along!

But now, it's business as usual, then...

13. Jun 15, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

lol "ok back to plans for WW3"

14. Jun 15, 2005 #13

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nahh, it's more friendly than that. I reckon it's like hating your little sister or something.

15. Jun 15, 2005 #14

jma2001

Gold Member

Yes, but which one of you is the little sister? :tongue2:

16. Jun 15, 2005 #15

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't matter, the contempt is mutual!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?