Tony Blair's Defiance Over the European Rebate

• News
  • Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.Yes, but which one of you is the little sister? ...I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.
Andy
Howdy people, as some of you have hopefully seen on the news Tony Blair is defying Europe about this Rebate watchamacallit. I think it must be good if gerhard schroder and good old jacques don't want the british to have it. But i still don't know what it is, so can anyone explain what it is and what the reason for the big argument is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Andy said:
I think it must be good if gerhard schroder and good old jacques don't want the british to have it. But i still don't know what it is,
Oh nice logic there sparky.

lol, well's everyone already knows I am a fool so why pretend any different.

Basically, since Thatcher faffed about with the EU in 1984, the UK has been pouring a shedload of money into the EU, and doesn't get as much back. Instead, we've been getting this rebate, which gives us some of our money back. It's something to do with farmers.

Anyway, it's been proposed that the amount of this rebate is to be fixed for the period from 2007-2013. This could mean that we lose out on something like £20 billion, and still be paying a third more than France does.

Tony doesn't like this plan, so he's saying "no thanks".

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/eu/story/0,9061,1506172,00.html#article_continue

Andy said:
Howdy people, as some of you have hopefully seen on the news Tony Blair is defying Europe about this Rebate watchamacallit. I think it must be good if gerhard schroder and good old jacques don't want the british to have it. But i still don't know what it is, so can anyone explain what it is and what the reason for the big argument is?
All member countries make a donation to the EU based on the size of their economy. Britain's nett contribution was the biggest (money paid in vs subsidies received) and so under Margaret Thatcher's leadership Britain demanded and got an annual rebate currently worth £3.5 billion. Basically M. Thatcher blackmailed them at the time by vetoing all new legislation until they gave her what she wanted. Ever since the French and the Germans have wanted this rebate stopped. France will shortly be paying more than Britain in nett terms and are increasingly incensed by the rebate. Britain meanwhile is threatening to veto this years budget if the French and Germans don't get off their case. This will hurt the French particularly as their farmers are major recipients of EU subsidies. T. Blair has offered that Britain will renegotiate on the rebate if France will renegotiate on the farm subsidies (as in a major reduction) and so the fun continues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Art said:
T. Blair has offered that Britain will renegotiate on the rebate if France will renegotiate on the farm subsidies (as in a major reduction) and so the fun continues.

And to say that this kind of fun wouldn't take place anymore with the European Constitution (R.I.P.) :cry:

Thanks people, kinda cleared it up but think i will stay out of politics for a while.

vanesch said:
And to say that this kind of fun wouldn't take place anymore with the European Constitution (R.I.P.) :cry:
lol personally I'd miss it. Watching France and Britain going at it 'hammer and tongs' is the best free entertainment available.

Art said:
lol personally I'd miss it. Watching France and Britain going at it 'hammer and tongs' is the best free entertainment available.

You're right: it would be the end of a millennium-long tradition :tongue:
Some things, you just have to keep them I guess :biggrin:

Andy said:

I think because its a mail-in rebate instead of an instant rebate
:rofl: :rofl:

vanesch said:
You're right: it would be the end of a millennium-long tradition :tongue:
Some things, you just have to keep them I guess :biggrin:

Yeah, when the French voted "no" last week, I was almost worried that we'd actually start to get along!

But now, it's business as usual, then...

brewnog said:
Yeah, when the French voted "no" last week, I was almost worried that we'd actually start to get along!

But now, it's business as usual, then...

lol "ok back to plans for WW3"

Pengwuino said:
lol "ok back to plans for WW3"

Nahh, it's more friendly than that. I reckon it's like hating your little sister or something.

brewnog said:
Nahh, it's more friendly than that. I reckon it's like hating your little sister or something.
Yes, but which one of you is the little sister? :tongue2:

jma2001 said:
Yes, but which one of you is the little sister? :tongue2:

It doesn't matter, the contempt is mutual!

1. What is the European rebate?

The European rebate is a discount that was negotiated by former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in 1984. It reduces the amount of money that the United Kingdom contributes to the European Union's budget.

2. Why is Tony Blair defying over the European rebate?

Tony Blair, who succeeded Margaret Thatcher as Prime Minister, believed that the rebate was no longer necessary as the EU had changed significantly since it was originally negotiated. He argued that the UK should contribute more to the EU's budget in order to support newer member states.

3. What is Tony Blair's stance on the European rebate?

Tony Blair famously declared that he would not give up "a penny" of the rebate, despite pressure from other EU member states to do so. He argued that the rebate was a vital part of the UK's budget and should not be given up without significant reforms to the EU's budget system.

4. Has Tony Blair's defiance over the European rebate caused tension within the EU?

Yes, Tony Blair's stance on the European rebate has caused tension within the EU, particularly with other member states who believe that the UK should contribute more to the EU's budget. It has also been a source of tension between the UK and the EU as a whole.

5. Has there been any progress on resolving the issue of the European rebate?

Yes, in 2005, Tony Blair agreed to a review of the EU's budget system, which resulted in a decrease in the UK's rebate. However, the rebate still remains a contentious issue and has been a topic of discussion in recent Brexit negotiations.