Is it correct to use two different variables when solving this integral?

• Thread starter mlazos
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of a given equation and two different methods of doing so. One method is incorrect and the other is proven to be correct through the use of identities. The conversation ends with gratitude from the original speaker for the correction.
mlazos
[SOLVED] I want a second opinion

We know the equation

[tex] F=-\frac{dV}{dr}[/tex]

we want to find the integral from [tex]r_{0}[/tex] to [tex]r[/tex].

I have seen someone doing this

[tex]\int^{r}_{r_{0}}Fdr'=-\int^{r}_{r_{0}}\frac{dV}{dr}dr'[/tex]

I am a mathematician and the way I was doing at the university was

[tex] F=-\frac{dV}{dr}\RightarrowFdr=dV[/tex]

and then I integrate

[tex]\int^{r}_{r_{0}}Fdr=-\int^{}_{r_{0}}dV[/tex]

Since the potential depends on r we can integrate. So I would like someone who knows the subject to tell me if the first way is correct since I know the second is correct. Its difficult for me to accept the introduction of another variable r' while we have the r itself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the first one is incorrect; it should be:
[tex]\int_{r_{0}}^{r}Fdr'=-\int_{r_{0}}^{r}\frac{dV}{dr'}dr'[/tex]

Now, the second integral simply equals [tex]V(r)-V(r_{0})[/tex], thus, we have identity between the expressions:
[tex]\int_{r_{0}}^{r}\frac{dV}{dr'}dr'=\int_{V(r_{0})}^{V(r)}dV[/tex]

ok the first way is what a I saw, exactly the way I wrote it. With your correction makes sense. Thank you very much for your answer.

1. Why might someone want a second opinion from a scientist?

There are a variety of reasons someone might want a second opinion from a scientist. This can include wanting to confirm or challenge a previous scientific finding, seeking a different perspective or expertise, or simply wanting reassurance about a scientific matter.

2. How does a scientist provide a second opinion?

A scientist provides a second opinion by carefully examining the evidence and data related to the matter at hand. They may conduct their own experiments, review existing research, or consult with other experts in the field. They will then provide their professional assessment and analysis of the information.

3. Is it common for scientists to seek second opinions from their colleagues?

Yes, it is common for scientists to seek second opinions from their colleagues. This is because the scientific process relies on peer review and collaboration to ensure accuracy and validity of findings. Seeking a second opinion is a way for scientists to ensure the quality of their work and to continue learning from their peers.

4. Are second opinions from scientists always reliable?

While scientists are highly trained and knowledgeable in their fields, second opinions are not always 100% reliable. This is because science is an ever-evolving field and new information and discoveries can change previous understandings. It is important to consider the evidence and expertise of the scientist providing the second opinion.

5. How can I find a reputable scientist for a second opinion?

To find a reputable scientist for a second opinion, you can start by researching experts in the specific field or topic you are seeking a second opinion on. You can also ask for recommendations from colleagues or consult with scientific organizations and institutions. It is important to verify the credentials and expertise of the scientist before seeking their opinion.