Quieting the Dorm: Sound-Canceling Devices for Studying

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, if you want to study in peace, try using white noise or foam earplugs to block out the noise, and if that's not an option, consider being tested for ADHD.
ehrenfest
So, I live in a dorm and naturally people are playing music all of the time and talking loudly right outside of my room and it is so so distracting. Of course, that's kind of a point of a dorm so I can't really complain and I am even one of the noise-makers at times.

But I still want quiet! I would go to a library but the problem with that is that I am usually working on my laptop and using like several different books at the same time and I usually move from one task to another pretty quickly. I have like 30 books in my dorm and I use them constantly and basically I don't always know which one I will need next. So, going to a library with only a few books in my backpack would kind of hinder my studying style.

So, the point of this post is this: what devices or objects can I put in/around my ears to dampen the noise effectively? Basically, does anyone know whether any of the following are effective and if so which brands are good to buy?

1) sound-canceling headphones
2) earplugs
3) ears muffs without sound-canceling capability

When I actually plug my ears with my fingers it is quiet enough for me to work but of course it is hard to accomplish much in that position. So, basically I want something that I can wear that does the same thing.

When I took the GRE last summer, they gave me these really good ear muffs, but I didn't get the brand...does anyone know what it is?

Thanks for suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try foam earplugs first - they're by far the cheapest. If you fingers work, these should work too, but even better.

The ones I used when I was in school were soft foam that you roll up, and stick in your ear. They slowly expand and voila - silence!

Anything in the ear gets annoying, you need good over-the-ear, breathing soundproof headphones. Like they would have at a studio. Sometimes though it almost gets too quiet.

In my experience, the foam earplugs block out machinery noise just great, but most of the voice frequencies get through. I think that are designed that way, so that on a site you can block out machine noise, but you can still here your colleagues or boss if they need to tell you something. These might not help you out if the majority of noise (which I guess it is) is in the vocal range.

Consider using white noise to cut the sounds.

The Bose headsets are by far the best...one of my co-workers had them on our trans-continental flights, he slept while I was awake and no where near rested when we got to either coast.

ehrenfest said:
So, I live in a dorm and naturally people are playing music all of the time and talking loudly right outside of my room and it is so so distracting. Of course, that's kind of a point of a dorm so I can't really complain and I am even one of the noise-makers at times.

But I still want quiet! I would go to a library but the problem with that is that I am usually working on my laptop and using like several different books at the same time and I usually move from one task to another pretty quickly. I have like 30 books in my dorm and I use them constantly and basically I don't always know which one I will need next. So, going to a library with only a few books in my backpack would kind of hinder my studying style.

A bit off-topic, but have you considered being tested for ADHD? Between being easily distracted and switching tasks rapidly and frequently, you might want to look into that.

As for the other suggestions, I don't really have one. I always did my best studying in noisy locations like coffee shops and student centers or the dorm lounge. Though, our dorm had a quiet study room for those who needed it (it had glass on all sides and a small library with lots of science books donated, a white board, quiet, but you felt like you were in a fishbowl when studying and everyone coming and going could watch you). Before that wing was built, we had a basement quiet study, but that was kind of lonely and creepy if you were there by yourself. Still better than trekking across campus to the library. I always thought that was a good design for a dorm to have one room that is really well insulated and sound-proofed so people who need a quiet study have it without having to leave the building. It means you can be comfy, have your snacks, sit in your PJs if you want, and all your books, etc. are nearby in your room if you need something you didn't remember to take with you.

I used to have the same problem as you do but I reward myself with Silent Ear Muffs that I bought at the local hardware shop. You know, those big fat muffs that those ground crew uses at the airport and in military aircraft carriers, to keep the noise out and to protect their ears, yeah that thing.

I only work at my best well after midnight when absolutely everything is silent (even outside noises most people don't notice during the day). I don't know, move out or see if there is a noise you can use that you like that will distract you from the other noise (i.e. music that you like). Other than that you've listed the other more sensible options.

i use to be in the same situation. I filed for a locker in the library. On certain floors in the library there are lockers, so i just put my books in my locker. I wake up at 6am and do not get back to my dorm until 11:30pm...the only time i might need to go back to my dorm is if i need to print something, which is not a big deal...

john16O said:
i use to be in the same situation. I filed for a locker in the library. On certain floors in the library there are lockers, so i just put my books in my locker. I wake up at 6am and do not get back to my dorm until 11:30pm...the only time i might need to go back to my dorm is if i need to print something, which is not a big deal...

If your library doesn't have lockers, ehrenfest, just take your books to the library and put them on some random shelf, near where you like to study. Who will know :wink: ?

I'm in opposite situation. If people finds I am on campus, they wouldn't stop bugging me.
No one knows where I live which is good! :)

I stay in dorm when deadlines are near but usually come only to sleep for normal days.

lisab said:
If your library doesn't have lockers, ehrenfest, just take your books to the library and put them on some random shelf, near where you like to study. Who will know :wink: ?

:rofl: Sadly, they'd probably go undiscovered a long time. I never see anyone actually using the library books anymore, just using the computers or taking naps.

I have an alarm clock that also functions as a white noise maker. My boyfriend gave it to me because I wasnt able to sleep in Rez my first year. A good solution is to get a nice little apartment with close friends. I still use the white noise at night since I am to bed and awake so early, I bet you could get them at a walmart or something... where do you live... I forget that everyone is from somewhere else, but I bet you either have walmart or some form of equivalent. I also have noise canceling headphones, again a gift from my boyfriend. I don't really use them unless I am trying to study in a restaurant or something. Usually my noisy alarm clock does the trick. I do best studying at home in my comfort zone. I hated living in rez, I never got to sleep or get any work done.

I think you may use both headphones AND white noise - I have never tried that, but using mp3 player with white noise mp3 file should easily do the trick at no cost (other than googling and finding white noise mp3, but these are so easy to generate that it can't be hard).

White noise is just as irritating. Constant buzzing. How do you stand it?

It depends on the loudness, if it is too loud, it is irritating. But if it just loud enough to mask other things, it is OK. What I like about white noise is that it is not a thing that you can concentrate on, so it is not distracting, at the same time it masks other sounds, like talking roommates.

I like to read in the bath. However, reading can be difficult if someone watches some stupid TV show in the next room. Many years ago I have found that the noise of flowing water masks TV and is bearable :smile: That's the same thing.

CaptainQuasar said:

I've never considered myself a pacifist or anything, but I am kind of uncomfortable about buying something from a store that advertises as a place "where warriors prepare for battle". :tongue:

1. How do sound-canceling devices work?

Sound-canceling devices use technology known as Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) to reduce unwanted noise. They use a microphone to pick up ambient noise and then produce an opposite sound wave to cancel out the noise. This creates a quieter environment for studying.

2. Are there different types of sound-canceling devices?

Yes, there are two main types of sound-canceling devices: passive and active. Passive devices work by physically blocking out noise, such as with noise-cancelling earplugs. Active devices, on the other hand, use ANC technology to actively cancel out noise.

3. Do sound-canceling devices completely block out all noise?

No, sound-canceling devices are not able to block out all noise. They work best for low-frequency sounds like the hum of a fan or the rumble of a car engine. Higher frequency sounds, like people talking, may still be audible but at a reduced volume.

4. Can sound-canceling devices be harmful to our ears?

No, sound-canceling devices are not harmful to our ears. In fact, they can help protect our ears by reducing our exposure to loud noises. However, it is important to use them responsibly and at a safe volume to prevent any potential damage to our hearing.

5. Are sound-canceling devices only useful for studying?

No, sound-canceling devices can be useful in various situations where you want to reduce unwanted noise. They can be helpful for studying, but they can also be used while traveling, working in a noisy office, or even just to block out distractions while trying to relax.