Bring Back the Old PF!" - Frustrated Member's Plea

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
In summary, the old PF forum is being replaced by a "Registered Member" site. The owner is asking for money from users in order to keep the site running. Some users are opposed to paying and feel that the site is not accessible to those who cannot afford to do so.
photon
I want the old PF!

What's up with this whole, "Registered Member" mumbo jumbo? What ever happened to just coming to PF to hang out and half your own signiture and avatar for FREE! Why? Why? If anyone needs me, I'll be hanging from by my neck from the cieling of the PF restroom. Or do I have to pay to use the old john now, too? Why don't you just start taking away everyones shoelaces and belts when they join PF?

All friendly, of course.

Physics news on Phys.org
That was cold, mister pro sir. :wink:

If you really want the old PF back, I'm sure you can work something out with Greg...

It only was running him upwards of $700 a year out of his own pocket to run the site. I'm sure he'll be happy to pay that so you can have a free signature.

If you really want the old PF back, I'm sure you can work something out with Greg...

It only was running him upwards of $700 a year out of his own pocket to run the site. I'm sure he'll be happy to pay that so you can have a free signature

Really? Noway! I've too much to live for! I heard Greg shoots lightning from his fingertips, and he's the size of Goliath! When he was finished with me, there won't even be a bleeding corpse to speak of!

The bait is set, rathma. Just break it when I give the word. :>

Having no connection whatsoever to this forum, I can honestly say that I am appalled by the number of people that enjoy and use this forum on a daily basis that don't have the decency to cough up the price of one order of french fries per month to support PF.

I know some really can't, being too young, etc..., but most have no excuse.

Evo said:
Having no connection whatsoever to this forum, I can honestly say that I am appalled by the number of people that enjoy and use this forum on a daily basis that don't have the decency to cough up the price of one order of french fries per month to support PF.

Heh your tone is pretty harsh. This is a democracy, people should not feel forced or felt obliged to pay if they don't want to.

The_Professional said:
Heh your tone is pretty harsh. This is a democracy, people should not feel forced or felt obliged to pay if they don't want to.
Oh well, I have not known since when my brother Professional became such democratic !
Oh, I perhaps misread or misunderstood something!

Pattielli said:
Oh well, I have not known since when my brother Professional became such democratic !
Oh, I perhaps misread or misunderstood something!

Did I hit a nerve? have I hurt your feelings? Can I give you some kleenex facial tissues? some tampons perhaps?

The_Professional said:
Did I hit a nerve? have I hurt your feelings? Can I give you some kleenex facial tissues? some tampons perhaps?
You BEEN able to do that ? Nevar!

But hey, am I now hitting your nerve ?
Whisper you this important thing that I am trying to hurt your feelings. Do you like it ?. :tongue2:

By the way, to the OP, I also want to have an avatar...true!
I don't know if sitemanagers will agree to add back that functionality into its own old place ? waiting though,

Pattielli said:
But hey, am I now hitting your nerve ?
Whisper you this important thing that I am trying to hurt your feelings. Do you like it ?. :tongue2:

This should make the tough guys at Riker's island weep

The_Professional said:
This should make the tough guys at Riker's island weep
Come on, Mabuhay!
Okay ?

Pattielli said:
By the way, to the OP, I also want to have an avatar...true!
I don't know if sitemanagers will agree to add back that functionality into its own old place ? waiting though,

First, you have to kiss a lot of ass. Be a suckup and whore yourself to public opinion. That's the only true way that you will live an honest, truthful life. My worthless 2 pesos.

The_Professional said:
That's what is so great about Greg. He is not making this a pay only site, he wants it available to all.

I don't mind paying so that others can continue to enjoy PF the way it is. There are a lot of people that can't afford even the small price for membership, and it is for them that I pay.

It's the ones that can pay and don't that irk me.

Why is it you don't want to pay? I really don't understand that.

To Evo's point: I have paid up to $40 PER HOUR for tutoring over the years, so the tiny annual fee here is peanuts compared to the enormous amount of help I have received.

Evo said:
That's what is so great about Greg. He is not making this a pay only site, he wants it available to all.

Of course. It's the nature of discussion forums. If you look at 90 percent of the message boards clogging the Internet they're all free. It's a free membership, open forum.

Evo said:
I don't mind paying so that others can continue to enjoy PF the way it is. There are a lot of people that can't afford even the small price for membership, and it is for them that I pay.

Then look at it that way

Evo said:
It's the ones that can pay and don't that irk me.

Why is it you don't want to pay? I really don't understand that.

I find this hilarious. It reminds me of peer pressure in high school "Hey everybody's smoking, why shouldn't you?".

Why is it such a big issue for you? In the grand of scheme of things does it really matter. Aren't we here to help other members and learn from each other. Why are you making things so petty and trivial when they're not. Some people pay and some people don't. That's reality.

And I don't need to explain to you why or if I plan on being a contributor.

The_Professional said:
First, you have to kiss a lot of ass. Be a suckup and whore yourself to public opinion. That's the only true way that you will live an honest, truthful life. My worthless 2 pesos.
I am really confused!
I guess someone already goes back to searching right ?

:biggrin: There is no need to get upset, the way I see it, we all make contribution to PF, some by way of fees, some by way of scholarship, cutting edge knowledge, scintillating ideas, fantasic anecdote and invaluable humour and warmth, some by way of both. Come to think about it, I may have short changed a lot of you :tongue2: :redface: .

No, no no, Polly, you don't understand, only he understands what I really meant...

I would have paid but someone got there before me :wink: I didnt realize that it cost Greg that much a year to run the site, but now it makes the contribution a lot more worthwhile.

The_Professional said:
Why is it such a big issue for you? In the grand of scheme of things does it really matter. Aren't we here to help other members and learn from each other. Why are you making things so petty and trivial when they're not. Some people pay and some people don't. That's reality.
Yes, we are here to help other members and learn from each other, but without constributions this site cannot be maintained. Many members complain they want to have a signature or an avatar, the solution is very simple: make a small contribution and you'll get all these things. The site will also be much more enjoyable without flashing advertisements.

Noone is being forced to pay, the site is completely accessible for all members.. paying or not. This was a very conscious decision. If people enjoy it, they are free to make a contribution and get something in return. So just enjoy :smile:

The_Professional said:
Of course. It's the nature of discussion forums. If you look at 90 percent of the message boards clogging the Internet they're all free. It's a free membership, open forum.

And I don't need to explain to you why or if I plan on being a contributor.

no, you don't need to explain. but you are not contributing ANYTHING with comments like these:

if you are going to defend your right to not financially contribute to this forum, you certainly have no right to contribute negative comments such as these. if you were a true professional, you might be inclined to an apology and to delete that specific post and start setting a "professional" example of contributing.

Polly said:
:biggrin: There is no need to get upset, the way I see it, we all make contribution to PF, some by way of fees, some by way of scholarship, cutting edge knowledge, scintillating ideas, fantasic anecdote and invaluable humour and warmth, some by way of both. .
Exactly, that's why I contribute fees, I have nothing else of value to contribute. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Exactly, that's why I contribute fees, I have nothing else of value to contribute. :biggrin:
Hahahah,
In that case I best get digging into my savings ! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kerrie said:
no, you don't need to explain. but you are not contributing ANYTHING with comments like these:

if you are going to defend your right to not financially contribute to this forum, you certainly have no right to contribute negative comments such as these. if you were a true professional, you might be inclined to an apology and to delete that specific post and start setting a "professional" example of contributing.

Thanks for bringing that up. That was a sarcastic, smart-ass reply to what I thought was a negative comment. Does him saying the same thing to me make it right. It certainly did not add anything to the discussion either. This doesn't sound fair to me.

Set a "professional" example of contributing? do I have to tell you the times I've stayed up late googling something to answer somebody's question. I don't expect anything in return not even a thank you. Just my way of giving something back.

Last edited:
The_Professional said:
Thanks for bringing that up. That was a sarcastic, smart-ass reply to what I thought was a negative comment. Does him saying the same thing to me make it right. It certainly did not add anything to the discussion either. This doesn't sound fair to me.

Set a "professional" example of contributing? do I have to tell you the times I've stayed up late googling something to answer somebody's question. I don't expect anything in return not even a thank you. Just my way of giving something back.

take it how you will, but all of your "contributions" don't make up for your nasty comments above, especially when you choose to not financially contribute to this forum.

Kerrie said:
take it how you will, but all of your "contributions" don't make up for your nasty comments above, especially when you choose to not financially contribute to this forum.

I've seen nastier comments coming from other people and you're only speaking out now and singled me out. Because I don't "financially" contribute. To each his own.

The_Professional, chill out. No one is attacking you. The majority of people here do not contribute, you are not being singled out, everyone has their reasons.

The mentors all devote a lot of time keeping this forum going, ask nothing in return and take a lot of unwarranted abuse. I cannot thank them enough for what they do.

Many people spend valuable time helping out with homework and other areas. Their time is worth money.

Many people here contribute in different ways to making this forum successful. You can contribute in ways that are as important as money. I just think that those that enjoy this forum on a daily basis that aren't contributing in other ways and "can afford to" should. I don't think that is harsh.

I believe the original poster's question, "What ever happened to just coming to PF to hang out and half your own signiture and avatar for FREE!" has been answered.

- Warren

1. Why do some people want to bring back the old PF?

Some members of the PF community feel that the old version of the platform was more user-friendly and had better features. They miss the simplicity and ease of navigation that the old PF had.

2. What were the main differences between the old and new PF?

The old PF had a simpler layout and design, with fewer advertisements and distractions. It also had a more active and engaged community, with more frequent discussions and interactions between members.

3. Is it possible for the old PF to be brought back?

While it is not impossible, it is unlikely that the old PF will be brought back. The platform has undergone significant changes and updates, and it would require a lot of resources and effort to revert to the old version.

4. Can we still access the old PF?

No, the old PF is no longer accessible. The platform has been completely updated and the old version is no longer supported.

5. What can be done to improve the current PF?

There are various ways to improve the current PF, such as providing more customization options for users, improving the search function, and addressing any bugs or technical issues. The best way to help improve the platform is to provide constructive feedback and suggestions to the PF team.