I want to ask a question, but I need a few things cleared up.

• Thread starter lawtonfogle
  • Start date
In summary: Human rights organizations say that countries should allow inalienable rights to humans, but some countries don't think so. If countries don't do this and it makes living impossible, people usu revolt. Case-in-point, the Sudan genocide: the world (including the nations of Africa) was near unanamous at condemning Colin Powell for using the word "genocide", when they should have been acting to stop it. This is leading up to a question. I'm wondering what your question is.
lawtonfogle
I have a question to ask, but I would first like to get a few things cleared up. First, is Wikipedia reliable? Second, are countries susposed to allow inalienable rights to humans, and under what law are they? In other words, if they do not, who does what about it? And finally, one way for a organism to be of a species is for it to have the genome of that species?
I am trying to make sure 'I have a clear landing pad' for my question, clearing up any problems before I ask the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Wikipedia is a peer reviewed source, but anyone can add an article so it doesn't have the stamp of approved facts on it. The editors try to monitor and sort through it, but even I've found articles that don't give the whole picture. Most of the quantitative things are true (eg dates, time periods, locations, names). The qualitative stuff gives a good background, but isn't 100% correct. I've found a few articles that were missing important pieces to a topic. Overall, it's a really clear and concise source to begin with and from there you can go to the ultimate source to really dig into the evidence.

Info on wiki, by wiki:smile:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiPedia

2. Not a priori. It depends on who you ask. I think human rights organizations say this should be so, but some countries obviously don't think so. If countries don't do this and it makes living impossible, people usu revolt. Here's an example from wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committee_on_the_Exercise_of_the_Inalienable_Rights_of_the_Palestinian_People" [Broken]

3. An organism is considered to be of a species if it is capable of reproducing successfully with a member of that species. Successfully is defined as having fertile offspring. Seems that their genomes would have to be nearly identical for this to be a possibility. How similar is a telling question:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the natural rights question, they are commonly considered to be freedom of speach, religion, property, travel, and anything else in the Bill of Rights, usually. I suppose that some people think that the UN is supposed to enforce these rights, but I honestly don't think it has the power to do so.

Considering that the three things you asked for seem pretty disparate, I'm pretty intrigued to see what question this is leading up to.

The UN has a universal declaration of human rights that it is supposed to be able to enforce, but it chooses not to.

russ_watters said:
The UN has a universal declaration of human rights that it is supposed to be able to enforce, but it chooses not to.
Íf by "chooses" you mean it has it's power undermined by western democracies in pursuit of their own economic profits, then that's what happens.

Wikipedia is very reliable, provided you do thorough research. Check history versions of a page, and read the talk pages. Don't just rely on the first version you come across if it's controversial, also - check links and sources.

Last edited:
Smurf said:
Íf by "chooses" you mean it has it's power undermined by western democracies in pursuit of their own economic profits, then that's what happens.
I'm not sure to what you are referring to, but there is only one country that tries to enforce that law, and that's the United States. Case-in-point, the Sudan genocide: the world (including the nations of Africa) was near unanamous at condemning Colin Powell for using the word "genocide", when they should have been acting to stop it.
At the United Nations, officials from a number of Security Council member nations expressed concern that Powell's statement would complicate efforts to win broad support for a new resolution. Both the African Union and the Arab League have said there is no genocide. The European Union said it does not have enough information.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8364-2004Sep9.html

It is disturbing to me how willing the nations of the world are to fight to allow genocide to continue. Rwanda was only 11 years ago. The nations of the world said "never again" again. Right - "never again" until the next time.

Last edited:
It's heart-breaking to me, but it doesn't surprise me that things like this happen. In the end, humans are like children. I wish there were some outside interference once in a while to straighten us out.

Last edited:

What does "I want to ask a question" mean?

"I want to ask a question" is a phrase that indicates a desire to obtain information or clarification about a particular topic or subject. It is often used when someone is seeking knowledge or seeking to understand something better.

Why do you need a few things cleared up before asking a question?

Clarifying any uncertainties or misunderstandings before asking a question helps to ensure that the question is clear and concise. This allows for a more accurate and helpful response from the person being asked. It also shows that the questioner has put thought and effort into their question.

What are some examples of things that may need to be cleared up before asking a question?

Some examples of things that may need to be cleared up before asking a question include unfamiliar terminology, conflicting information, or a lack of understanding about the topic. It could also involve gathering more background information or context to fully understand the question being asked.

How can I effectively clear up any uncertainties before asking a question?

One way to effectively clear up uncertainties before asking a question is to do some research on the topic beforehand. This could involve reading articles, watching videos, or consulting reliable sources. It is also helpful to take notes and organize your thoughts before asking the question.

Is it important to have a clear and well-thought-out question in the scientific field?

Yes, it is extremely important to have a clear and well-thought-out question in the scientific field. This allows for more accurate and meaningful research and helps to avoid confusion or misinterpretation of results. A clear question also helps to guide the scientific process and leads to more successful and impactful outcomes.