Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to ask a question, but I need a few things cleared up.

1. Oct 17, 2005 #1
    I have a question to ask, but I would first like to get a few things cleared up. First, is Wikipedia reliable? Second, are countries susposed to allow inalienable rights to humans, and under what law are they? In other words, if they do not, who does what about it? And finally, one way for a organism to be of a species is for it to have the genome of that species?
    I am trying to make sure 'I have a clear landing pad' for my question, clearing up any problems before I ask the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2005 #2
    1. Wikipedia is a peer reviewed source, but anyone can add an article so it doesn't have the stamp of approved facts on it. The editors try to monitor and sort through it, but even I've found articles that don't give the whole picture. Most of the quantitative things are true (eg dates, time periods, locations, names). The qualitative stuff gives a good background, but isn't 100% correct. I've found a few articles that were missing important pieces to a topic. Overall, it's a really clear and concise source to begin with and from there you can go to the ultimate source to really dig into the evidence.

Info on wiki, by wiki:smile:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiPedia

2. Not a priori. It depends on who you ask. I think human rights organizations say this should be so, but some countries obviously don't think so. If countries don't do this and it makes living impossible, people usu revolt. Here's an example from wiki Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People

3. An organism is considered to be of a species if it is capable of reproducing successfully with a member of that species. Successfully is defined as having fertile offspring. Seems that their genomes would have to be nearly identical for this to be a possibility. How similar is a telling question:wink:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  4. Oct 21, 2005 #3
    As for the natural rights question, they are commonly considered to be freedom of speach, religion, property, travel, and anything else in the Bill of Rights, usually. I suppose that some people think that the UN is supposed to enforce these rights, but I honestly don't think it has the power to do so.

Considering that the three things you asked for seem pretty disparate, I'm pretty intrigued to see what question this is leading up to.

5. Oct 22, 2005 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The UN has a universal declaration of human rights that it is supposed to be able to enforce, but it chooses not to.

6. Oct 22, 2005 #5
    Íf by "chooses" you mean it has it's power undermined by western democracies in pursuit of their own economic profits, then that's what happens.

Wikipedia is very reliable, provided you do thorough research. Check history versions of a page, and read the talk pages. Don't just rely on the first version you come across if it's controversial, also - check links and sources.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  7. Oct 24, 2005 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure to what you are referring to, but there is only one country that tries to enforce that law, and that's the United States. Case-in-point, the Sudan genocide: the world (including the nations of Africa) was near unanamous at condemning Colin Powell for using the word "genocide", when they should have been acting to stop it.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8364-2004Sep9.html

It is disturbing to me how willing the nations of the world are to fight to allow genocide to continue. Rwanda was only 11 years ago. The nations of the world said "never again" again. Right - "never again" until the next time.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  8. Oct 25, 2005 #7
    It's heart-breaking to me, but it doesn't surprise me that things like this happen. In the end, humans are like children. I wish there were some outside interference once in a while to straighten us out.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?