1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I wan't to be an astronomer

1. Nov 6, 2009 #1
    Since I was a little kid I've always found the outer space to be fascinating. I'm currently studying to become a Maritime chief engineer. It includes a lot of calculating electrical circuits, mathematics and physics (We call them level C, B and A - A being highest) at college level, and some chemistry. It takes three years.

I only need to supply with some chemistry when I'm done, and then I can apply to a Astronomy course in Copenhagen.

Can anyone give me some feedback on my idea? Is there a lack of astronomers, income and what else i can use this degree for..ect..

And, Do I need to get a PhD in astronomy to be able to look for a job?

I also notice that there are not many astronomy topics here. Is astronomy just boring, compared to physics? :tongue2: Or is it just plain useless?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2009 #2
    At least in the US, there isn't a lack of professional astronomers. However you can use the skills that you learned in astronomy to get a reasonably well paying job on Wall Street, which is where I ended up.

Also there are some parts of astronomy where you can do good work without being a professional. If you spend about US$10,000, you can put together a decent lab that you can do thinks like variable star observations.

To get a formal academic position, you need a Ph.D. and usually two three year postdocs. However, never, never get a Ph.D. for career reasons since you probably won't get a formal job even with the Ph.D.

I

4. Nov 6, 2009 #3
    twofish-quant: I live in a very small country, with a population of 48.000, give or take. I plan to live other places in the world, like the US maybe, and there make use of my astronomy degree, outside of academia. And when I return home (And I probably will), a school teacher is pretty much the only work I can get, with a degree in astronomy. So, If I don't need a PhD. in astronomy, I sure ain't going for it :tongue2:

Is there a lot of chemistry work involved in the astronomy course? I've never had chemistry and I always hear bad things about it:confused:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook