I want to be an EE after graduating in CS

• Thread starter mazuoyan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs Ee
In summary, the person is currently in their senior year of a computer science program at a low tier university, but they have a high GPA and are interested in pursuing a career in electrical engineering. They have taken some relevant courses and are wondering about their options for further education, including getting another bachelor's degree or pursuing a post-baccalaureate program or a master's degree in EE. They are advised to speak with advisors and faculty in the EE department for more information.
mazuoyan
I am in my senior year of CS at a low tier university with a high GPA 3.7 (I attended because it was free). I feel like I haven't learned much and really just breezed through. I have been doing a lot of research recently and realized I'd much rather go into a career in EE. I have taken some basic physics courses, the full calc sequence and the basic EE courses such as digital systems, micro computers circuit analysis etc I was wondering what my options are since I only have 1 semester after this one. Should I get another bachelors degree or do a post bac program? Can I go for a masters degree? Any input would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are in a great position to pursue a career in electrical engineering. Depending on the university you attend, you may be able to transfer some of your existing credits towards a new degree program. It's also worth looking into any post-baccalaureate programs that may be offered at your institution or nearby. With a strong GPA and a good amount of relevant coursework already completed, you should be a strong candidate for admission to an EE master's program. Your best bet would be to reach out to advisors and faculty in the EE department to get more information about what courses and programs are available to you. Good luck!

1. What is the difference between computer science and electrical engineering?

Computer science is the study of computers and computational systems, including their principles, design, development, and application. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. While both fields involve technology and problem-solving, computer science focuses more on software and programming, while electrical engineering focuses more on hardware and electrical systems.

2. Can I become an electrical engineer with a degree in computer science?

Yes, it is possible to become an electrical engineer with a degree in computer science. Many universities offer a bridge program or minor in electrical engineering for students with a computer science background. Additionally, having a strong foundation in computer science can be beneficial for pursuing a career in electrical engineering, particularly in areas such as embedded systems, robotics, and signal processing.

3. What skills do I need to be successful as an electrical engineer?

Some essential skills for an electrical engineer include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, strong mathematical and technical abilities, and the ability to work well in a team. Additionally, having a strong understanding of computer science principles and programming languages can be beneficial for certain areas of electrical engineering.

4. What are the career opportunities for someone with a background in both computer science and electrical engineering?

Having a background in both computer science and electrical engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities. Some common roles that combine both fields include software or hardware engineer, embedded systems engineer, robotics engineer, and systems analyst. Additionally, having a strong understanding of both fields can also make you a valuable candidate for roles in emerging technologies like artificial intelligence, internet of things, and virtual reality.

5. What are some recommended courses for someone interested in pursuing a career in both computer science and electrical engineering?

Some recommended courses for someone interested in both computer science and electrical engineering include programming courses such as data structures, algorithms, and software engineering, as well as courses in electrical circuits, electronics, and digital systems. Additionally, taking courses in areas such as robotics, control systems, and computer architecture can also be beneficial. It is also recommended to gain hands-on experience through internships or personal projects in both fields to strengthen your skills and understanding.