Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to be famous mathematician

1. Jun 30, 2003 #1
    I have disocovered a formula for Pi(x) function in number theory...where could i send it?..in fact i thinks there was a contest for getting the Pi(x)function so i would like to know the webpage to take part and send it i think i should have at least an opportunity to have my job reviewed and if it is correct to publish it..althought due to the "snobism" in that profession i know it is imposible...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you saying you want to be a snob?:smile:

Exactly how many mathematicians do you know that you can talk about "snobbism"? In fact, mathematicians tend to be very good about encouraging novices. Of course, you will have to be prepared for another fact about mathematicians: they tend to be very honest- at least about mathematics. A mathematician will very likely point out basic errors in your work or, more likely, point out that it is impossible to find any errors because it simply doesn't make sense- undefined terms, invalid inferences- all the things that mathematicians learn about in all those years they spend in school.

Okay, it is possible that you have found a formula for Pi(x) and it might just be better than the hundreds of others that are already known. Pick a nearby college or university and write a polite letter to the chair of the mathematics department asking that he see if any of his faculty would be willing to look at your work. Remember that you are asking a person to devote a considerable amount of time to something that is unlikely to benefit anyone. If you don't get an answer, that is not snobbism, that is simply the fact that they are very busy with their own lives.

Lacking that, go down to a college or university library, get the address of one or several of the mathematics journals, check their "style" requirements carefully and submit your work to one of them. They WILL have an expert in the field look at it. If their response is that you submission is "not what we need" (or that it is "hogwash"!) that doesn't mean they haven't looked at it- that means that they HAVE looked at it and that is their considered, professional, opinion.

4. Jun 30, 2003 #3
    Or send your paper to arXiv.org... and then in two months you can send another paper to their Errata archive apologizing for publishing something already discovered.

eNtRopY

P.S. Has anyone ever read the Errata section just for laughs? A few months ago, there was some graduate student who wrote an article to the community apologizing for claiming that he came up with a formula for generating all the prime numbers. Of course it was simple to dispute his claims, by simply proving that the numbers he was generating were in fact not prime numbers.

5. Jul 2, 2003 #4
    how exactly do you send in a paper to the arXiv.org?

6. Jul 2, 2003 #5
    read the faq

7. Jul 2, 2003 #6
    Writing faq as a link in this font could be confused with something else! :wink:

8. Jul 3, 2003 #7
    And How it is supposed to can send it to Arxiv.org

I have tried but no e-mail appeared to send i do not know how i could send an e-mail to arxiv.org

9. Jul 3, 2003 #8
    Re: And How it is supposed to can send it to Arxiv.org

no email appeared to send? perhaps you need more practice using your email client.

10. Jul 3, 2003 #9
    I can not send..

in fact i realized that they ask you to have the articles written in .tex format..but i do not have the program and not know where to get and how to use...

it is a pity they do not accept files in .doc format..in fact they prefer a good images of the article rather than a good article .

11. Jul 5, 2003 #10
    Use MikTeX on Windows. It's free.

eNtRopY

12. Jul 5, 2003 #11
    Re: I can not send..

you don t need a program to write a .tex file. any text editor can do it, even MS word.

it is A Good Thing that they don t accept .doc files. many physicists don t use MS windows, and .doc files are only readable on that platform. .tex files are readable on any platform.

the concern here is that as many people as possible be able to read the papers. if this keeps you from being able to write the paper, just ask yourself which one is supposed to be easier: reading a paper or writing a paper.

13. Jul 6, 2003 #12

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Maybe a little confusion here. I don't think he's referring to good old text files but to the TeX software that does mathematical notation etc. I think if you buy the full Adobe product, a TeX editor is included. Or you can go with Ghostscript and WinTex as somebody mentioned. Good luck on that though, it requires multi stage fiddling that is frustrating if you're not a maven.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?