I want to be famous mathematician

In summary, the conversation centers around the topic of the Pi(x) function in number theory and the process of submitting a formula for it. The participants discuss different avenues for submitting the formula, such as contacting universities and submitting to mathematics journals, and share tips on how to format the submission. They also discuss the benefits and challenges of using TeX formatting for the submission.
eljose79
I have disocovered a formula for Pi(x) function in number theory...where could i send it?..in fact i thinks there was a contest for getting the Pi(x)function so i would like to know the webpage to take part and send it i think i should have at least an opportunity to have my job reviewed and if it is correct to publish it..althought due to the "snobism" in that profession i know it is imposible...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you saying you want to be a snob?:smile:

Exactly how many mathematicians do you know that you can talk about "snobbism"? In fact, mathematicians tend to be very good about encouraging novices. Of course, you will have to be prepared for another fact about mathematicians: they tend to be very honest- at least about mathematics. A mathematician will very likely point out basic errors in your work or, more likely, point out that it is impossible to find any errors because it simply doesn't make sense- undefined terms, invalid inferences- all the things that mathematicians learn about in all those years they spend in school.

Okay, it is possible that you have found a formula for Pi(x) and it might just be better than the hundreds of others that are already known. Pick a nearby college or university and write a polite letter to the chair of the mathematics department asking that he see if any of his faculty would be willing to look at your work. Remember that you are asking a person to devote a considerable amount of time to something that is unlikely to benefit anyone. If you don't get an answer, that is not snobbism, that is simply the fact that they are very busy with their own lives.

Lacking that, go down to a college or university library, get the address of one or several of the mathematics journals, check their "style" requirements carefully and submit your work to one of them. They WILL have an expert in the field look at it. If their response is that you submission is "not what we need" (or that it is "hogwash"!) that doesn't mean they haven't looked at it- that means that they HAVE looked at it and that is their considered, professional, opinion.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
Lacking that, go down to a college or university library, get the address of one or several of the mathematics journals, check their "style" requirements carefully and submit your work to one of them. They WILL have an expert in the field look at it. If their response is that you submission is "not what we need" (or that it is "hogwash"!) that doesn't mean they haven't looked at it- that means that they HAVE looked at it and that is their considered, professional, opinion.

Or send your paper to arXiv.org... and then in two months you can send another paper to their Errata archive apologizing for publishing something already discovered.

eNtRopY

P.S. Has anyone ever read the Errata section just for laughs? A few months ago, there was some graduate student who wrote an article to the community apologizing for claiming that he came up with a formula for generating all the prime numbers. Of course it was simple to dispute his claims, by simply proving that the numbers he was generating were in fact not prime numbers.

how exactly do you send in a paper to the arXiv.org?

Originally posted by einsteinian77
how exactly do you send in a paper to the arXiv.org?

read the faq

Originally posted by lethe
read the faq

Writing faq as a link in this font could be confused with something else! :wink:

And How it is supposed to can send it to Arxiv.org

I have tried but no e-mail appeared to send i do not know how i could send an e-mail to arxiv.org

Originally posted by eljose79
I have tried but no e-mail appeared to send i do not know how i could send an e-mail to arxiv.org

no email appeared to send? perhaps you need more practice using your email client.

I can not send..

in fact i realized that they ask you to have the articles written in .tex format..but i do not have the program and not know where to get and how to use...

it is a pity they do not accept files in .doc format..in fact they prefer a good images of the article rather than a good article .

Use MikTeX on Windows. It's free.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eljose79
in fact i realized that they ask you to have the articles written in .tex format..but i do not have the program and not know where to get and how to use...

it is a pity they do not accept files in .doc format..in fact they prefer a good images of the article rather than a good article .

you don t need a program to write a .tex file. any text editor can do it, even MS word.

it is A Good Thing that they don t accept .doc files. many physicists don t use MS windows, and .doc files are only readable on that platform. .tex files are readable on any platform.

the concern here is that as many people as possible be able to read the papers. if this keeps you from being able to write the paper, just ask yourself which one is supposed to be easier: reading a paper or writing a paper.

Maybe a little confusion here. I don't think he's referring to good old text files but to the TeX software that does mathematical notation etc. I think if you buy the full Adobe product, a TeX editor is included. Or you can go with Ghostscript and WinTex as somebody mentioned. Good luck on that though, it requires multi stage fiddling that is frustrating if you're not a maven.

1. What does it take to become a famous mathematician?

To become a famous mathematician, you need to have a strong passion for mathematics and a curiosity to solve complex problems. You also need to have a solid foundation in mathematics, including a strong understanding of algebra, calculus, and geometry. Additionally, dedication, hard work, and determination are essential qualities for success in this field.

2. How important is a formal education in mathematics for becoming famous?

A formal education in mathematics is essential for becoming a famous mathematician. It provides you with the necessary knowledge and skills to understand and solve complex mathematical problems. Additionally, a degree in mathematics from a reputable institution can open up opportunities for research and collaboration with other mathematicians.

3. Can anyone become a famous mathematician, or is it limited to a select few?

Anyone with a passion for mathematics and a strong dedication to learning and solving problems can become a famous mathematician. It is not limited to a select few, but it requires hard work, perseverance, and a bit of luck to achieve fame in this field.

4. Is there a specific area of mathematics that is more likely to lead to fame?

There is no specific area of mathematics that guarantees fame. However, some fields, such as number theory, geometry, and topology, have produced more famous mathematicians than others. Ultimately, it depends on your interests and strengths as a mathematician.

5. What are some tips for aspiring mathematicians who want to become famous?

Some tips for aspiring mathematicians include: constantly challenging yourself with difficult problems, seeking out mentors and collaborators, staying up-to-date with current research and developments in the field, and being persistent in pursuing your goals. It is also essential to communicate your ideas effectively and share your work with the mathematics community to gain recognition and potentially achieve fame.